Tyrod Taylor has 'nothing but love' for Buffalo

wppete

While I'm not sure about his comments about being a black QB in a league where the players are predominately black, I do appreciate that he was able to help the Bills end the drought. And although Allen is gonna throw a couple of picks from time to time, I prefer his tenacity and willingness to push it down the field as opposed to Taylor who played it safe most of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

“It’s always going to be twice as bad just because of who I am – an African-American quarterback,” Taylor says, echoing a familiar refrain among people of color, regardless of professional status. “Look across the league, man. We’re held to a certain standard. We almost have to be perfect.”

“I wouldn’t say it’s just an African-American quarterback thing. It’s an African-American athlete thing – or just an African-American thing,” he says, “And that’s not anything I just found out. It’s been that way since I was a kid.”

“They claim that we’re (Taylor, Newton, Wilson) not that accurate from the pocket. I’m not sure why,” Taylor says, before adding of Rodgers and Carr: “Even though they’re ‘mobile’ guys, they don’t necessarily take on the same criticism as others. It probably is unfair.”

https://buffalonews.com/2017/10/14/tyrod-taylor-unfiltered-win-everythings-great-lose-want-crucify/

I remember this. I'm not sure why anyone still holds this against him. He has every right to feel that way whether it's accurate or not, just as people have the right to claim that there is no racial motivation in sports whether that is accurate or not. Two halves of the same coin.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Damn, race card officially pulled.

Kind of wish I didn't read that.

Thanks for going through the bother of sourcing.  Appreciated.

So TT was a great QB, we just didn't recognize that because we're racists.

Got it.:wallbash:

Nm the mountain of statistical evidence that demonstrates that black athletes (and people) are judged more harshly than their white peers. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I remember this. I'm not sure why anyone still holds this against him. He has every right to feel that way whether it's accurate or not, just as people have the right to claim that there is no racial motivation in sports whether that is accurate or not. Two halves of the same coin.

The (specifically "My") problem is that if he felt this strongly about being treated so unfairly - and all other African-Americans being treated unfairly - then why did he wait until after he was benched to discuss it?  It is painfully transparent.

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Nm the mountain of statistical evidence that demonstrates that black athletes (and people) are judged more harshly than their white peers. 

Linky?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

The (specifically "My") problem is that if he felt this strongly about being treated so unfairly - and all other African-Americans being treated unfairly - then why did he wait until after he was benched to discuss it?  It is painfully transparent.

Mina Kims did a whole write up on this very topic while he was still the starting QB.  Youre timeline is wrong. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Gugny said:

Probably because he was mad that he got benched and believed that he deserved to play? Oh, and because a reporter specifically asked him the loaded question.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

“It’s always going to be twice as bad just because of who I am – an African-American quarterback,” Taylor says, echoing a familiar refrain among people of color, regardless of professional status. “Look across the league, man. We’re held to a certain standard. We almost have to be perfect.”

“I wouldn’t say it’s just an African-American quarterback thing. It’s an African-American athlete thing – or just an African-American thing,” he says, “And that’s not anything I just found out. It’s been that way since I was a kid.”

“They claim that we’re (Taylor, Newton, Wilson) not that accurate from the pocket. I’m not sure why,” Taylor says, before adding of Rodgers and Carr: “Even though they’re ‘mobile’ guys, they don’t necessarily take on the same criticism as others. It probably is unfair.”

https://buffalonews.com/2017/10/14/tyrod-taylor-unfiltered-win-everythings-great-lose-want-crucify/

This is what you are mad at Tyrod about? What he is saying is absolutely true, it's not a race card thing. It is what it is, been that way for decades and to some extent still continues.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I think you're a little too salty about this. People often react in a sensitive manner when a cherished dream is threatened. I agree it was poor play, not anything ethnic, that was behind his benching, but I would cut Taylor some slack. It is the ever willing parasites in the media with an agenda that deserve complete contempt and disdain.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Linky?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/02/athletes-racism-language-sports-cam-newton

One of a thousand.  How can one live in this society and not be at least proximally aware of this? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Clyde Smith said:

This is what you are mad at Tyrod about? What he is saying is absolutely true, it's not a race card thing. It is what it is, been that way for decades and to some extent still continues.

I'm not mad at him.  He was benched in Buffalo because he sucked.  He was benched in Cleveland because he sucked.  He wasn't benched because he's black.

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/02/athletes-racism-language-sports-cam-newton

One of a thousand.  How can one live in this society and not be at least proximally aware of this? 

Never, anywhere, have I said that this doesn't happen.  I am talking specifically about Tyrod Taylor.  He was never unfairly judged.  He was given the opportunity to start for two NFL teams (THREE YEARS, here) and he failed two times.  That's not a color issue.  That's a "he isn't a good QB" issue.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Prior to his trade he was the Best Bills QB since Jim Kelly on the field... one of the few that can claim a winning record during their stinit. 

In in my view the ones who chose to hate him were always the ones with their own issues.  

Most everyone else knew what kind of player he was and wasn’t and thanked him for holding the fort down with some occasional flashes of brilliance and a dutiful conservatism that reflected his own understanding of his limitations.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

Always appreciated Taylor as he somewhat stabilized the position for a few years. But I will always think he could have broken the drought sooner if he hadnt missed so many opportunities. He played safe so often instead of letting it rip.

We had a stacked offense and we needed a QB willing to exploit that and he couldnt. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm not mad at him.  He was benched in Buffalo because he sucked.  He was benched in Cleveland because he sucked.  He wasn't benched because he's black.

Never, anywhere, have I said that this doesn't happen.  I am talking specifically about Tyrod Taylor.  He was never unfairly judged.  He was given the opportunity to start for two NFL teams (THREE YEARS, here) and he failed two times.  That's not a color issue.  That's a "he isn't a good QB" issue.

but Peterman was/is, since he was retained and TT was released...? haha!

people will use any excuse to justify their own bigotry and cognitive dissonance.

it's amazing how people get more upset about someone calling out racism or bias, than the actual act itself. absolutely breathtaking.

...but then again I wouldn't expect much else from you.

29 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

you have to understand whom you're speaking to. do you really think this individual has faced any racism or knows anyone who has? it doesn't resonate.  to most people in this country the term is a fable. as if the civil war, and jim crow era never took place. he says:

"I'm not mad at him" - but repeatedly refers to him as a scumbag. there's malice and hatred there.

it really isn't worth it @Clyde Smith. just another confused and angry elder.

the fact that this topic took the turn it did...is really sad.

Edited by 87168
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yeah? How many starting QBs get traded the year after they make the playoffs? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

probably the same number of backup QBs that become starter after throwing 5 picks.

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

How many good QBs get traded for and then benched in 2 games?

right over your head huh?

Edited by 87168

40 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s funny, that the people that wanted EJ to win the QB battle have never come to terms that Tyrod was absolutely the best option at the time. He delivered a winning record as the Bills QB and ended the drought. He handled himself with class the entire time. Tyrod is a guy that we should remember fondly. He was a decent QB that didn’t lose games. 

its really this simple for me. I thought they moved on a year too late. or at the very least waited a year too long to draft a successor. but I agree with all your thoughts here.... the sad thing is you mention his name and there are some level headed posters that just go completely postal and its hard to take anything they say about other topics seriously after their posts in these threads.

3 minutes ago, 87168 said:

but Peterman was/is, since he was retained and TT was released...? haha!

people will use any excuse to justify their own bigotry and cognitive dissonance.

it's amazing how people get more upset about someone calling out racism or bias, than the actual act itself. absolutely breathtaking.

...but then again I wouldn't expect much else from you.

you have to understand whom you're speaking to. do you really think this individual has faced any racism or knows anyone who has it doesn't resonate.  to most people in this country the term is a fable. as if the civil war, and jim crow era never took place. he says:

"I'm not mad at him" - but repeatedly refers to him as a scumbag.

it really isn't worth it @Clyde Smith. just another confused and angry elder.

the fact that this topic took the turn it did...is really sad.

How many games did the Bills give Peterman before they benched and subsequently dumped him?  3?  4?

Taylor got about 40. 

That is some pretty overwhelming evidence of unfair judgment, I tell ya!

PM me and I'll tell you about the time some punk called me a ***** at a gas station.  Oh, wait ... I could NEVER have experienced that, right?  Because, since I called out Tyrod Taylor for whipping out the race card, I MUST be a pasty white guy who flies a confederate flag from the back of my F-350. 

Hypocrite.

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Traded?  Not sure.

But Blake Bortles, who had playoff success in 2017, was benched a couple times last year.  I wonder if it was because his name is Blake.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

How many good QBs get traded for and then benched in 2 games?

Thats fair.  In the end, my point is that black athletes are judged more critically because they are black.  Whether TT ended up failing is beside the point, he was still judged more critically than what was deserved because of the color of his skin.  And him pointing that out does not make him a race baiter.  

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

How many games did the Bills give Peterman before they benched and subsequently dumped him?  3?  4?

Taylor got about 40. 

That is some pretty overwhelming evidence of unfair judgment, I tell ya!

PM me and I'll tell you about the time some punk called me a ***** at a gas station.  Oh, wait ... I could NEVER have experienced that, right?  Because, since I called out Tyrod Taylor for whipping out the race card, I MUST be a pasty white guy who flies a confederate flag from the back of my F-350. 

Hypocrite.

Traded?  Not sure.

But Blake Bortles, who had playoff success in 2017, was benched a couple times last year.  I wonder if it was because his name is Blake.

Go figure, a white QB was given another season to see if he could play better.  The black QB? No such luck. 

• Like (+1) 1