The Draft Network: Offensive Tackle class shaping up to be great

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

What confuses me is the repeated talk about a pass rusher.  My reasoning is simple.

Offense

30th

Rushing 9th

Pass 31

Defense

2nd

Rushing 16th (We we’re hovering between 9th and 10th until the Cheats gashed us for I think 273 yards)

Pass 1st

We have Murphy and Lawson on one side and 55 on the other.

Now we are desperate for an OL, WR, and TE’s.

Maybe in a later round more depth with Rushers or an eventual replacement for Alexander, and a CB.  I know a lot will be handled in free agency, but not everything.  Excellent Tackles, and even interior lineman unless a cap casualty, and Tackles are more expensive then interior lineman.  I agree Dawkins will improve, but we made a terrible mistake in trying to make Richie take a pay cut when he was blowing holes for Shady.  Look at between Wood, RI, how many runs came off Center.  I know he went crazy, but he seems to do that when he doesn’t have anything to do.

Anyway, that is my two cents.  I know pass rushers are awesome, but we have far more important needs.

26th in the NFL in sacks, and had to blitz to generate any kind of consistent pressure.

That's why people harp on pass rusher as a need...plus, at number 9 overall it's highly likely that the best player on the board will be a pass rusher (either EDGE or IDL).

56 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

26th in the NFL in sacks, and had to blitz to generate any kind of consistent pressure.

That's why people harp on pass rusher as a need...plus, at number 9 overall it's highly likely that the best player on the board will be a pass rusher (either EDGE or IDL).

Not only that, but you usually gotta grab pass rushers early. If we have a good turnaround year we won't be picking high enough to even sniff one next year. Oh yeah and Jerry Hughes is 31 years old.

Honestly I think the draft is better at the interior offensive line. A lot of these guys might not pan out at tackle. Spend your money on 3-4yr contracts on big money tackles while we have the space. Draft guys that are positionslly mobile (Risner, Deiter, etc) if they are able to move to tackle they will take the money of the free agent they sign this off-season when their contract is up and you can draft more offensive linemen. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

What confuses me is the repeated talk about a pass rusher.  My reasoning is simple.

Offense

30th

Rushing 9th

Pass 31

Defense

2nd

Rushing 16th (We we’re hovering between 9th and 10th until the Cheats gashed us for I think 273 yards)

Pass 1st

We have Murphy and Lawson on one side and 55 on the other.

Now we are desperate for an OL, WR, and TE’s.

Maybe in a later round more depth with Rushers or an eventual replacement for Alexander, and a CB.  I know a lot will be handled in free agency, but not everything.  Excellent Tackles, and even interior lineman unless a cap casualty, and Tackles are more expensive then interior lineman.  I agree Dawkins will improve, but we made a terrible mistake in trying to make Richie take a pay cut when he was blowing holes for Shady.  Look at between Wood, RI, how many runs came off Center.  I know he went crazy, but he seems to do that when he doesn’t have anything to do.

Anyway, that is my two cents.  I know pass rushers are awesome, but we have far more important needs.

BPA does not make good sense to me this draft unless FA fills the gaping holes on Offense.
again why i would like to add more players in the first 3 rounds via some  Beane hopscotch. Now if one were to say BPA Offense ? i would be on board : )

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I think part of that was was protecting edmunds a bit and Murphy being gimpy . Eye test saw plenty of pressures and near sacks. Hughes needs to work on his take downs.
maybe a but of Judo would do him well.

On 2/1/2019 at 7:25 AM, thebandit27 said:

Of course, knowing Beane, he'd probably use some of his 10 picks to move back into the end of round 1 to get an OT he really liked instead of waiting around.

As he should.  Quality over quantity, although both would be nice.

• Like (+1) 1

So this is from Walter Football, take it for what it's worth.  Only one OT visit and 3 G visits.

EW = East West game meeting
SR = Senior Bowl meeting

Meetings reported for Buffalo Bills "by Charlie Campbell (@draftcampbell) and other media"

Blace Brown, CB, Troy (EW)

Lamont Gaillard, G, Georgia (EW)

Terry Godwin, WR, Georgia (EW)

Ethan Greenidge, OT, Villanova (EW)

Tyler Jones, G, N.C. State (EW)

Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College (SR)

DaMarkus Lodge, WR, Ole Miss (EW)

Daylon Mack, DT/NT, Texas A&M (EW)

Derick Roberson, DE, Sam Houston State (EW)

Bunchy Stallings, G, Kentucky (EW)

Andrew Wingard, S, Wyoming (EW)

Daniel Wise, DT, Kansas (EW)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think a team can approach free agency and the draft with priorities, but can get frustrated pretty quickly if it get's too locked in to specifics.  It may be OK to want to sign a tackle and a guard in free agency and then draft your center, I think a good GM has to be able to feel his way a bit to sense where the best values are as free agency develops.  Maybe the tackles don't like your team and agents for the guards you like have set the price point far beyond what he thinks the value is, but a real good value becomes available on a quality starting center.  What do you do?  You sign the center, of course, and shift your plans toward drafting a tackle and guard.  Analytics can be a real useful tool, but if a GM has only analytics and no instinct, no ability to improvise, I think he fails.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:36 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So this is from Walter Football, take it for what it's worth.  Only one OT visit and 3 G visits.

EW = East West game meeting
SR = Senior Bowl meeting

Meetings reported for Buffalo Bills "by Charlie Campbell (@draftcampbell) and other media"

Blace Brown, CB, Troy (EW)

Lamont Gaillard, G, Georgia (EW)

Terry Godwin, WR, Georgia (EW)

Ethan Greenidge, OT, Villanova (EW)

Tyler Jones, G, N.C. State (EW)

Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College (SR)

DaMarkus Lodge, WR, Ole Miss (EW)

Daylon Mack, DT/NT, Texas A&M (EW)

Derick Roberson, DE, Sam Houston State (EW)

Bunchy Stallings, G, Kentucky (EW)

Andrew Wingard, S, Wyoming (EW)

Daniel Wise, DT, Kansas (EW)

Astro has a list - looks a bit different, not sure which is correct