The Draft Network: Offensive Tackle class shaping up to be great

YoloinOhio

I am not as sold on the tackle class as the writer here.  When I watch Jonah Williams I see a guy who really should be playing inside.  He doesnt have great feet, and tends to lunge at defenders rather than using his balance to create leverage.  Saw multiple instances where he whiffed on blocks trying to throw his weight into guys.  However, he does a great job pulling and blocking in the run game.  I think he is a better prospect at guard.

I havent watched much of Greg Little or Dalton Risner yet, but Ford and Edwards were predominantly right tackles, I still have a few games to watch, but neither jump out as elite left tackle prospects which is what you need to get if you're drafting top ten. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would like to pick up one in FA but I think it’s hard to find really good ones there. It’s getting to the point where really good OL are so valuable they don’t make it to FA. I think you need to build your line through the draft if you want it to be elite.

I think we target a Vet Center in FA, and still draft tackles.  The Center is the "QB" of the OL, and can also help Allen and the rookie OT's.  

I'd go BPA at 9, then trade back into the 1st for an OT.   

• Like (+1) 2

I think a few of these guys end up inside. 

Try to get the offensive line covered in free agency. That would be one starting tackle, one starting guard, once starting center. They won’t all be Paradis & Daryl Williams, but competent level players. And then with one of the top 2 picks draft a guy who’s position flexible, like Deiter, Risner Jonah Williams, etc. 

9 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I think a few of these guys end up inside. 

Try to get the offensive line covered in free agency. That would be one starting tackle, one starting guard, once starting center. They won’t all be Paradis & Daryl Williams, but competent level players. And then with one of the top 2 picks draft a guy who’s position flexible, like Deiter, Risner Jonah Williams, etc. 

I'd watch for Ben Garland of Atlanta to be a player that the Bills may target.

He's going to be 31 at the start of the 2019 season, but he's got very little mileage on him due to a combination of military service, positional switches, and practice squad time. He's a process guy for sure. If Beane misses out on the top-tier guards like Saffold/Spain, Garland could certainly be an option.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Outstanding, Huds.

Honestly, brother, how long has it been since we've had not only loved our line, but loved the depth at it?  

Knowing that if someone goes down we don't have to worry goes the next Bill up can go a game or 2?

Man, I mean we've been pining so long for just five good ones the last memory I have of having more than 5 goes back to the sup bowl days.

I wish Marv would have added OL to his, you never can have enough quality DBs statement.

Man at this pt i would take our 2015 line. Incog, Wood & Cordy all pro bowl caliber players. Plus we had some really good bkups at tackle gaurd and center. Kujo , Groy and Seantrel was great depth.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Once again I am torn.

FA, or the possible lack there of with respect to OL, is going to be very telling on this draft.

If we get one or two OL in FA do we put off another OT in the draft because it is deep and actually draft a iDT or Edge pick at Number 1?

We do whatever it takes to not only fix the OL but make it one of the better ones in the league.  That's how you win in the NFL, especially with a young quarterback.

• Like (+1) 1

OL this year.  Redo the skill positions (RB and WR next year).  Offense comes together for the next two years and voila, the 5th yr after drafting Allen have all parts of the offense in place for the next decade.   

Relative to offense, I believe scheme matters more than star power on defense (see the Pats**) and I believe McD will consistently field average at worst defenses over his tenure.  Trust the process.  

Edited by Bill Murray
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

OL this year.  Redo the skill positions (RB and WR next year).  Offense comes together for the next two years and voila, the 5th yr after drafting Allen have all parts of the offense in place for the next decade.   

Relative to offense, I believe scheme matters more than star power on defense (see the Pats**) and I believe McD will consistently field average at worst defenses over his tenure.  Trust the process.  

With 90 million in cap space and 10 draft picks (as of right now) I really think that both OL and WR/TE can both be addressed in one year.

It sure helped Tribuski a lot to tackle it that way

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

With 90 million in cap space and 10 draft picks (as of right now) I really think that both OL and WR/TE can both be addressed in one year.

It sure helped Tribuski a lot to tackle it that way

Agree w you, but i think its not about the firepower, its about the availability.  I dont want to do another Charles Clay, Langston Walker, or Dockery FA contract throwing $ at our need without it being a good player.... 

If someone like Khalil Mack were out there again, with our firepower i would do that, but i dont think the pieces will all be there for the taking.  J Clowney is due to become a FA possibly (but prob wont), would you throw a ton of $ at him and then go OL & WR in the draft completing the strategy you are suggesting?   

2 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

Agree w you, but i think its not about the firepower, its about the availability.  I dont want to do another Charles Clay, Langston Walker, or Dockery FA contract throwing $ at our need without it being a good player.... 

If someone like Khalil Mack were out there again, with our firepower i would do that, but i dont think the pieces will all be there for the taking.  J Clowney is due to become a FA possibly (but prob wont), would you throw a ton of $ at him and then go OL & WR in the draft completing the strategy you are suggesting?   

Beane will be judicious

The key being we have the money and picks to strike for the right situation.

QB is in place

10 draft picks (as of right now)

Franchise QB in place (the whole QB room actually)

Defense top 10

Found some hidden gems out of this last year

We are poised for a big offseason

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I'd focus on C in free agency, then draft another T and G.

This...get a vet to anchor your line, then fill the Tackle and Guard spots.

Besides the best center available was Wisconsin's Biadasz IMO and he did not declare.  Otherwise he would have been my #1 draft o-line target.

11 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm not a big trade-down guy, especially when you're in the top 10 in a draft that is loaded with top-5 type talent at a position as critical as pass rusher (be it interior or EDGE).

I'm of the opinion that the team has enough picks, and that what they really need is to stock the roster elite prospects whenever possible.

depends on the offer. if someone need to leap two or three for a FIT guy, or QB. you have to look at it . Bills have enough gaps to fill.
be open minded 27 

hope they do not get hung up on something. and instead ,  let it come to them

: )

10 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am not as sold on the tackle class as the writer here.  When I watch Jonah Williams I see a guy who really should be playing inside.  He doesnt have great feet, and tends to lunge at defenders rather than using his balance to create leverage.  Saw multiple instances where he whiffed on blocks trying to throw his weight into guys.  However, he does a great job pulling and blocking in the run game.  I think he is a better prospect at guard.

I havent watched much of Greg Little or Dalton Risner yet, but Ford and Edwards were predominantly right tackles, I still have a few games to watch, but neither jump out as elite left tackle prospects which is what you need to get if you're drafting top ten. 

Agreed. To me I think both Jonah Williams and Taylor would be average tackles and better inside. 

12 hours ago, CookieG said:

I'm going to go off the board and say...draft 2 in the first two rounds. Preferably with a trade down for an extra pick or two.

The tight FA market is one factor. Another...the bigger factor is that we're not in a situation where we need to plug a single hole, we need to plug 3-4. Add in that quality OL are becoming more scarce in the draft. 

2 quality tackles...one of whom can play the interior...or move Dawkins to G.

Or. 1 tackle and a C like Bradbury if he's still there. I might be the only one, but I'd be thrilled with a Risner/Bradbury 1-2, or a few other combinations.

Possibilities open up. You can make a really positive step towards building a quality unit, rather than taking a patchwork or piecemeal approach...but only if the commitment is there. This is THE year to make that commitment.

An edge rusher does nothing to improve a 30th ranked offense. 

Work the problem.

I agree with you. But if Beane truly believes in BPA as he says he does, can he resist taking a D player? 

I just don’t think OL can be BPA at 9- I’m not a Jonah Williams fan. You could argue that WR isn’t BPA either.