Jussie Smallette (Alleged) Self Inflicted Hoax Assault

RaoulDuke79

19 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes. (Or was for a long time until just last year).

"Subsequent bills followed but the United States Congress never outlawed lynching due to powerful opposition from Southern Senators. It was not until 2018 that the Senate would pass (unanimously) anti-lynching legislation, the Justice for Victims of Lynching Act."

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/georgia-lynch-mobs-devised-flimsy-reasons-for-taking-lives/DPNqpcG72DpJFUV6FLQnlI/

"...The perception is that a lynching always involved a certain means of death — whether by hanging or shooting or burning. 

“It’s not the method in which a person is killed, it’s the context in which they are killed,” said Hill, a professor of African and African-American studies at the University of Oklahoma. “That context is when the person is summarily, lethally and brutally punished for an alleged crime and denied due process of law. That cocktail of things is what we call a lynching. It’s less about being hung, shot or dragged to death. ...”

Traditionally, "lynching" didn't even require killing.  It was just extra-judicial punishment.

The narrower definition of "hanging" is pretty recent - 40s or 50s, I think. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Traditionally, "lynching" didn't even require killing.  It was just extra-judicial punishment.

The narrower definition of "hanging" is pretty recent - 40s or 50s, I think. 

Which one is still legal?

1 hour ago, bbb said:

Which one is still legal?

Just needs to The House and get signed by the Big Guy.  What's the odds of that in this environment.

History of the attempts to criminalize it:

"The Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill was first introduced in 1918 by Representative Leonidas C. Dyer, a Republican from St. Louis, Missouri, in the United States House of Representatives as H.R. 11279.[1] It was intended to establish lynching as a federal crime. The Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill was re-introduced in subsequent sessions of Congress and passed by the U.S. House of Representatives on January 26, 1922, but its passage was halted in the Senate by a filibuster by Democrat politicians, who formed a powerful block that exceeded their percentage of the population by having disenfranchised blacks in the South.

Attempts to pass similar legislation took a halt until the Costigan-Wagner Bill of 1934.[2]Subsequent bills followed but the United States Congress never outlawed lynching due to powerful opposition from Southern Senators.[3]

It was not until 2018 that the Senate would pass (unanimously) anti-lynching legislation, the Justice for Victims of Lynching Act. As of February 24, 2019, it has not been passed by the House of Representatives or signed by the President."

Oh... Remember ideology tends to flip in "sea change" moves.  Party names stay the same. Southern Democrats back then are modern day Republicans today.

I think the reason that Lynching wasnt considered 'illegal' under the law was that they had other laws to cover what happens so it's one that kept slipping through the cracks of not really being needed.

Typically, someone that's being lynched either ends up dead (where people can be tried for murder then) or physically hurt (where it can be called assault). Also it was used as a punishment so it would be hard to have the punishment be something illegal.

I really dont think that it's much of an issue, aside from a symbolic gesture to the people whom it would have been done to, to have a law specifically in place preventing it because if someone did it, they would be charged anyways under a similar charge. I dont think cops and courts are throwing out cases or not arresting people because they were told it was a lynching and 'well, theres no law against it!"

• 2 years later...
On 3/10/2022 at 4:55 PM, Augie said:

He brought it all upon himself, and in my opinion deserves every bit of it. If not more. Attention whores like this put other people in danger. 

Definitely could have gotten more, but I'll take it. What a vile person.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.