Top DT prospect Jeffrey Simmons not invited to combine; Tore ACL in pre-draft workouts

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

?

Honest question:  what do you think the % of guys who hit woman won’t repeat  it?  Because I think guys who are women beaters tend to repeat the behavior more than say someone who gets caught stealing a laptop (Cam Newton’s crime in college that people used to put him down before the draft).

I don't care what percentage of guys do it again. That logic has been used to defend all sorts of ridiculous laws. By all accounts Simmons has been a model citizen and it happened several years ago. Maybe he'll screw up again but I won't assume anything.

The judicial system failed society again and MSU is just another example of college athletics being a cesspool. 

MSU was convinced he was safe to put on campus with other college kids because they spoke with his family and friends?  They seem like a credible source for his mental and moral upswing over the last few seasons.

College football is the biggest problem. They are far more corrupt and disgusting than the NFL. 

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This'll have a major effect.

I might consider him a couple of rounds down. Doubtless they'll do due diligence on him, including interviews of him, of the people involved in the incident and of people who've been witness to how his life has gone since. If they are convinced, I wouldn't mind seeing them draft a guy who would be out for a year in the third or fourth..

More, at that price, you could cut him without much worry if he had another incident of some kind.

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

?

Honest question:  what do you think the % of guys who hit woman won’t repeat  it?  Because I think guys who are women beaters tend to repeat the behavior more than say someone who gets caught stealing a laptop (Cam Newton’s crime in college that people used to put him down before the draft).

The question should be more specific than that.

Something more like ... of guys who hit a woman, then spend three or four years without hitting a woman or having any (off-field) violence issues ... what's the percentage who will do it again. And I don't know the answer but I know it's not 0% and I know it's not 100%. I strongly guess it's between 20% and 80% and I don't know enough to make an educated guess. And in that area, you can't depend on statistics. You have to look at the guy himself to make your decision.

Edited by Thurman#1

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This'll have a major effect.

I might consider him a couple of rounds down. Doubtless they'll do due diligence on him, including interviews of him, of the people involved in the incident and of people who've been witness to how his life has gone since. If they are convinced, I wouldn't mind seeing them draft a guy who would be out for a year in the third or fourth..

More, at that price, you could cut him without much worry if he had another incident of some kind.

They are going to interview the lady he was punching?

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 2:18 PM, HappyDays said:

I wouldn't have a problem drafting Simmons because the incident happened when he was in high school and he's been a model citizen since then. You'd put him on a short leash with off the field issues but it's not like he has a long history of domestic violence. He made one big mistake as a teenager.

I believe in second chances. If it's true he's rehabilitated, he might be worth looking at. My guess is someone will pick him up in the second round.

But I disagree with your calling it a mistake. Two plus two equals five is a mistake. Forgetting to put out the garbage can on collection day is a mistake. My first marriage - huge mistake. Beating the hell out of a girl is not a mistake, it's a conscious decision to commit a criminal assault. Calling it a mistake minimizes responsibility;  there no 'oops' moment.