Top DT prospect Jeffrey Simmons not invited to combine; Tore ACL in pre-draft workouts

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

IIRC correctly Mixon wasn’t invited to the combine either but didn’t face any penalties once entering the league.

The punishment is not being given a chance to improve his draft stock. 

They can still do pro days I assume, correct? 

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wow, video is shocking...and way worse than Rice and Hunt put together.  

However...if life was about having one mistake as a kid define who you are, then it would be a f-ed up world full of losers.  Many people cant understand the world some of these kids come from where violence is often all they know.  I am not in any way condoning what he did, the video is astonishing really.  However, should a mistake while a teenager take everything away from you for the rest of your life?  Especially when you make amends and put the hard and dedicated work in to change and be a better person?

Reading the article about his redemption certainly shows what this kid has done, how he has grown, etc.  Who we are is kids is never who we are as adults.  We all made mistakes in high school, some worse than others.  What I see is a young man who seems to have made the changes in his life to become a better person and has earned his second chance.  And I think teams will see that on draft night.  Could it impact his draft slot, sure, but I don't think it will because it is so long ago and he's worked hard to become who he is today.  

well said, esp the part I bolded.  In NO WAY does it excuse what he did, or get him off the hook for any penalties he faced at the time.  But if he was charged (and he should have been) and he did his time, he should have a chance to redeem himself.    

• Awesome! (+1) 1

We are not talking about an immature tweet.  This guy, kid, whatever....BEAT a female.  That is unacceptable at ANY age.  No one should draft him.  Wasn't there a newer NFL rule that if you draft a player like this, who has proven legal troubles, and he gets in legal issues while in the NFL, that the team that drafted him would be fined or lose future draft picks?

....unless this woman truly was threatening his or his family's life.

I am usually a pretty hard case on these things but at the same time, I do believe in redemption. And I don't think playing in the NFL is a privilege, it is a job, one that you can only get by working your tail off and having a boat load of talent. NFL jobs are not given away like lottery tickets. The glory and the money is well earned, every penny. Apart from this incident, this crime, this player has done the work and demonstrated the talent that typically results in a shot at an NFL roster. The question is whether he should be barred from work because of his crime. I wouldn't blame any NFL team for passing on him as not worth the risk but if there is a team willing to give him a shot at redemption, that is between the player and the team. 

I hope I'm not stepping out of line here, but it's kind of interesting that this was charged as a simple assault(which is nothing) as opposed to a DV, which is a HUGE DEAL. Is it REALLY that much worse if it's in the house? On a personal note, I got into a fight with my brother and the cops were called. I was charged with DV, which was dismissed because my brother wanted no part of that nonsense. Nevertheless, the charge of DV remains on my record. A female prospective employer is obviously going to assume I hit a woman. Personal rant over. 

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Doesn't matter if she killed his family. Screw context. You never hit a woman lest ye be banished for life. Sarc off. It was totally out of line to hit the girl when she was down, but the woman doesn't appear to be an angel. She was also charged in the incident for what it's worth. Where he really effed up is hitting her more than once when she was on the ground, but he did gain control of his emotions enough to go back into break it up mode. That was apparently his initial role. He was charged with a crime, as he should have been. At what point is enough enough when it comes to demonizing an 18 y/o for life?

I truly agree. 18 year olds do DUMB stuff and if girl he hit was not blacked out he did not hit her to do damage. If he does again he should be done but situations matter and saving your sister is one that gets special consideration.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I'd like to see the full video from the beginning and know the back story before passing judgment. 

I read that the girl attacked his sister and he was trying to break it up and the other girl wouldn't stop. My opinion would hinge largely on what started the fight and what this girl did to his sister. He clearly didn't unload on her because she got up a few seconds later. If he was throwing with full force she'd have been out. It's noteworthy that immediately after that he stopped the other girl (his sister?) from continuing to punch her.

There's a huge distinction between hitting a girl who's attacking your sister & laying out your wife for mouthing off.

And if recent events have taught us anything, it's that context matters.

Is his sister the gigantic girl who is punching and kicking the much smaller girl curled up on the ground at the same time that her humongous dt brother is smashing her head? 

I can fully understand why he was beating on a defenseless girl, he was defending his gigantic sister who was also beating on the defenseless girl. A clear case of self defense, plus he was only an 18 year old adult and has been really really nice ever since. He even volunteers! 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I am still seeing him mocked in the top 10. Frank Clark had a DV incident in college and went in the 2nd, as did joe mixon. I just think some teams care and some don’t. 

Some teams recognise they are just kids still.  After all the team that takes them would have a chance to lead them in a different direction.  After all Ray Lewis was involved in a homicide.

16 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I'd like to see the full video from the beginning and know the back story before passing judgment. 

I read that the girl attacked his sister and he was trying to break it up and the other girl wouldn't stop. My opinion would hinge largely on what started the fight and what this girl did to his sister. He clearly didn't unload on her because she got up a few seconds later. If he was throwing with full force she'd have been out. It's noteworthy that immediately after that he stopped the other girl (his sister?) from continuing to punch her.

There's a huge distinction between hitting a girl who's attacking your sister & laying out your wife for mouthing off.

And if recent events have taught us anything, it's that context matters.

Some people deserve to get their butt whooped.  A lot of people think they can say whatever they want and not face consequences.  Not sure its the case here but its really none of the NFLs business.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is him 

Peole should be ashamed of holding this against him then.  The Combine should be boycotted as well.  I will not be watching it this year if this is true.  Although I am certain Goodell would not interfere when his mom needed defending. 

Also I think this is the type of players we need.  One that will defend his family I wonder what he would have done to Gronk when he cheap shoted Tre.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wow, video is shocking...and way worse than Rice and Hunt put together.  

However...if life was about having one mistake as a kid define who you are, then it would be a f-ed up world full of losers.  Many people cant understand the world some of these kids come from where violence is often all they know.  I am not in any way condoning what he did, the video is astonishing really.  However, should a mistake while a teenager take everything away from you for the rest of your life?  Especially when you make amends and put the hard and dedicated work in to change and be a better person?

Reading the article about his redemption certainly shows what this kid has done, how he has grown, etc.  Who we are is kids is never who we are as adults.  We all made mistakes in high school, some worse than others.  What I see is a young man who seems to have made the changes in his life to become a better person and has earned his second chance.  And I think teams will see that on draft night.  Could it impact his draft slot, sure, but I don't think it will because it is so long ago and he's worked hard to become who he is today.  

Has he? The redemption article didn't mention anything about him reaching out to the victim.  Based on his actions, if he did not then IMO he may have kept his nose clean but he hasn't made amends?