Top DT prospect Jeffrey Simmons not invited to combine; Tore ACL in pre-draft workouts

YoloinOhio

clay travis has it right, the math is simply are the talents/positives enough to outweigh the negatives.

no pro football team makes an actual moral decision in evaluating a player.  the odd coach or owner might have their own pet cause they want to shine their good guy badge on, but football is a tough violent game and there aren't many people who can play it at the highest level, and they have a tendency to be tough violent types.

the outrage culture today will prolly push guys like this further down than it used too, the josh allen thing is a good example of how silly it has gotten.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's a ridiculous statement. People make mistakes so we should feel bad for this kid because he beat the snot out of a defenseless woman laying on the ground?

Don't project this kid's messed up actions on the rest of society. Most people do not beat up defenseless girls laying on the ground. We all make mistakes, but some mistakes are far more serious than others. Regardless of telhe mistake and regardless of how common it is, you have to suffer the consequences of your actions.

Unfortunately it seems like this kid will still get drafted and make millions of dollars.

The video doesn't look good but maybe we shouldn't rush to judgment ----- perhaps this was just some new crazy dance routine at the local hip hop club.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, colin said:

clay travis has it right

That would be a first! Although I do actually agree with the assessment. If the player's strengths are great enough to overcome any negative backlash, he'll be acquired. It's really that simple.

I don't know what the hell was going on in that video, but I know it was awful. Also seems like something that occurs more often than it should in that particular neighborhood. I'm not a fan of writing a kid off because of something he did in HIgh School. 

So the NFL has already de facto blackballed the guy.  Does that mean if he gets drafted he could be looking at an immediate suspension?  For actions not even taken while in the NFL?

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's kept his nose clean since, that's great. It doesn't change the fact he was caught on video swinging fists like a madman on a downed woman. That's unforgivable. Playing in the NFL and making millions is a privilege that man does not deserve. 

Yep but in todays age, that person on the ground could have been identifying as a male.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

So the NFL has already de facto blackballed the guy.  Does that mean if he gets drafted he could be looking at an immediate suspension?  For actions not even taken while in the NFL?

No, it’s aligned to a relatively recent rule where they don’t invite DV offenders to the combine. It could affect his draft stock, that’s the “consequence” 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

IIRC correctly Mixon wasn’t invited to the combine either but didn’t face any penalties once entering the league.

The punishment is not being given a chance to improve his draft stock. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wppete said:

What was the incident???

He was video taped punching out a girl between high school graduation and matriculating in college.  By all accounts, he has turned over a new leaf, has been a model student at college, and is known for his volunteer work.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, it’s aligned to a relatively recent rule where they don’t invite DV offenders to the combine. It could affect his draft stock, that’s the “consequence” 

Interesting. I did not realize they had such a rule. I approve. 

I see that Mixon was not invited to the combine either. It really becomes a matter of teams seeking to do individual work on him and seeing if he can be trusted. I don't think the incident, thought horrible, should keep him from the NFL, but he must show that he has grown past that. The fact of the matter is that the NFL is not the law of the land. They're not responsible for what these guys have done in the past, they're responsible for making sure that they don't empower, enable, or excuse any behavior while these guys are wearing their colors. 

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wow, video is shocking...and way worse than Rice and Hunt put together.  

However...if life was about having one mistake as a kid define who you are, then it would be a f-ed up world full of losers.  Many people cant understand the world some of these kids come from where violence is often all they know.  I am not in any way condoning what he did, the video is astonishing really.  However, should a mistake while a teenager take everything away from you for the rest of your life?  Especially when you make amends and put the hard and dedicated work in to change and be a better person?

Reading the article about his redemption certainly shows what this kid has done, how he has grown, etc.  Who we are is kids is never who we are as adults.  We all made mistakes in high school, some worse than others.  What I see is a young man who seems to have made the changes in his life to become a better person and has earned his second chance.  And I think teams will see that on draft night.  Could it impact his draft slot, sure, but I don't think it will because it is so long ago and he's worked hard to become who he is today.  

All true though the situation is a very difficult one for the NFL. They can’t be seen as condoning violence against women.  

I'd like to see the full video from the beginning and know the back story before passing judgment. 

I read that the girl attacked his sister and he was trying to break it up and the other girl wouldn't stop. My opinion would hinge largely on what started the fight and what this girl did to his sister. He clearly didn't unload on her because she got up a few seconds later. If he was throwing with full force she'd have been out. It's noteworthy that immediately after that he stopped the other girl (his sister?) from continuing to punch her.

There's a huge distinction between hitting a girl who's attacking your sister & laying out your wife for mouthing off.

And if recent events have taught us anything, it's that context matters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I'd like to see the full video from the beginning and know the back story before passing judgment. 

I read that the girl attacked his sister and he was trying to break it up and the other girl wouldn't stop. My opinion would hinge largely on what started the fight and what this girl did to his sister. He clearly didn't unload on her because she got up a few seconds later. If he was throwing with full force she'd have been out. It's noteworthy that immediately after that he stopped the other girl (his sister?) from continuing to punch her.

There's a huge distinction between hitting a girl who's attacking your sister & laying out your wife for mouthing off.

Doesn't matter if she killed his family. Screw context. You never hit a woman lest ye be banished for life. Sarc off. It was totally out of line to hit the girl when she was down, but the woman doesn't appear to be an angel. She was also charged in the incident for what it's worth. Where he really effed up is hitting her more than once when she was on the ground, but he did gain control of his emotions enough to go back into break it up mode. That was apparently his initial role. He was charged with a crime, as he should have been. At what point is enough enough when it comes to demonizing an 18 y/o for life?

• Like (+1) 1

I think it was an egregious decision to hit the woman, no question.  We don’t know the context of the situation and we don’t know if the woman was an innocent victim, a clear offender or somewhere in between.  

His behavior is certainly something to consider, but if we were all banned from making a life for something we did at 18, many of us would be in terrible trouble.  How many here could say that they have never done anything illegal ?  How many have never driven when they had too much to drink or were high?  How many have never said or done something they were not proud of?

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

I'm pretty sure the woman started brawling with his mother not his sister.