The AAF Thread

36 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

The stadium in Birmingham is almost empty :(

Hubby keeps saying this league is a marketing fail, and I cannot disagree. Do a 2-4-1 ticket sale, donate a bunch of tickets to some kids group for home games, etc. Do something, anything, to get bodies in the stands so it looks like the locals are somewhat interested.  

My comments on the Birmingham game: that 4th and 12 instead of an onside kick is interesting. I saw one converted (yesterday? last week? time gets distorted when you are old), and it is pretty exciting. It is certainly better than an onside kick in the NFL right now. 

3 hours ago, /dev/null said:

The stadium in Birmingham is almost empty :(

I didn't watch today, busy with a family outing. But wasn't it a pouring rain there today? Not to mention there was a killer tornado in the area.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On March 2, 2019 at 7:15 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....could be a nice start to a minor league/developmental aspect similar to MLB or NHL.......but the beleaguered, cash strapped NFL owners could NEVER afford such a venture......flood of Chapter 11 filings and lined up for soup kitchens would result.......

I'll never find the logic in this type of comment.

Why should they pay for a crappy minor league when they have a premium one that costs them nothing, and where nearly every single player comes from?

I hope Buffalo is looking at Ross from AZ and Johnson from Orlando- both seem to have good hands and i really think they could part of a strong recieving corp that goes 5 deep relatively cheap. I do not like the idea of spending big money on WR since QB makes WR look good- or bad- so often.

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'll never find the logic in this type of comment.

Why should they pay for a crappy minor league when they have a premium one that costs them nothing, and where nearly every single player comes from?

I get your logic but I think they are worried about XFL being successful and Would rather break even on a product that they control then have a different league pop up and be successful against the NFL wishes.

11 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I hope Buffalo is looking at Ross from AZ and Johnson from Orlando- both seem to have good hands and i really think they could part of a strong recieving corp that goes 5 deep relatively cheap. I do not like the idea of spending big money on WR since QB makes WR look good- or bad- so often.

I get your logic but I think they are worried about XFL being successful and Would rather break even on a product that they control then have a different league pop up and be successful against the NFL wishes.

The NFL has absolutely no worries about either league.  AAF and XFL are only competing against each other for the most hardcore of football fans who want to watch football when there is no real football to watch.

As for "breaking even", they have no money invested in this league and would be foolish to.  It won't survive.

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So TNT added some games from the league "nobody's watching."

People are definitely watching, but they need to advertise more in order to keep up an inflow of viewers, I think.

If this season is determined a success, then maybe they "cast a wider net" before next season.

At least advertise on Sundays during the entire NFL season and upgrade their TV deals.

On 3/3/2019 at 7:08 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

Hubby keeps saying this league is a marketing fail, and I cannot disagree. Do a 2-4-1 ticket sale, donate a bunch of tickets to some kids group for home games, etc. Do something, anything, to get bodies in the stands so it looks like the locals are somewhat interested.  

My comments on the Birmingham game: that 4th and 12 instead of an onside kick is interesting. I saw one converted (yesterday? last week? time gets distorted when you are old), and it is pretty exciting. It is certainly better than an onside kick in the NFL right now. 

The like .1% conversion rate is pretty annoying.  You're more likely to just kick it straight out of bounds than actually get the ball back.  

Can you still sneak an onside kick in?

On 3/4/2019 at 9:50 AM, Mr. WEO said:

The NFL has absolutely no worries about either league.  AAF and XFL are only competing against each other for the most hardcore of football fans who want to watch football when there is no real football to watch.

As for "breaking even", they have no money invested in this league and would be foolish to.  It won't survive.

Minor league sports typically work with affiliation with the major league.  AHL, Minor league baseball, even G-league.  The salaries for the players are typically handled in some way shape or form by the major league team - so marketing, concessions, stadium, etc. can all be handled by the owner of the minor league team.  

It seems like this works better for ownership as the salaries for minor league players are lower than if they are promoted to the majors - you still have team control over the development etc.  The minor league owner can focus more on getting people to come watch games.  

On 3/3/2019 at 7:08 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yeah - like the most popular bisons game's have bobblehead giveaways, or star wars night.  Every minor league team does these weird promotions because they can make it back on concessions, merch, etc.  

TV is probably eating up like the entire marketing budget though - minor league sports just don't air on network TV for any sport.  I wonder if XFL is thinking they need to do the same thing to be viable - or if they can try and set it up more like a streaming type service while assuming AAF can't sustain the losses they're probably incurring to be on network TV.  

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Minor league sports typically work with affiliation with the major league.  AHL, Minor league baseball, even G-league.  The salaries for the players are typically handled in some way shape or form by the major league team - so marketing, concessions, stadium, etc. can all be handled by the owner of the minor league team.  

It seems like this works better for ownership as the salaries for minor league players are lower than if they are promoted to the majors - you still have team control over the development etc.  The minor league owner can focus more on getting people to come watch games.  

Except the NFL (and the NBA) absolutely don't need to fund a "minor league" because nearly every one of their players comes from the NCAA.  There is no incentive for the NFL to pay for a product that is far inferior to what they always get for free.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Except the NFL (and the NBA) absolutely don't need to fund a "minor league" because nearly every one of their players comes from the NCAA.  There is no incentive for the NFL to pay for a product that is far inferior to what they always get for free.

Very true - just gets you to theoretically control players during a longer development cycle.  NFL teams have such thin rosters as it stands anyway, and a lot i assume has to do with the revenue split and having so few games.

The Apollos seem miles ahead of all other teams. I'd love it if the Hotshots got back on track. They started really strong, but I think teams figured they're offense out.

Interestingly, the Commanders have a -18 point diff, but are first in the West.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/03/09/aaf-week-5-why-america-watching-these-guys-play-football/3107027002/

TNT is going to add at least one more game this season.