The AAF Thread

4 hours ago, dpberr said:

I think it's got a better shot at being a true "minor league" team for the NFL than the XFL.  The NFL needs a true development league for both players and coaches.  

If I were the AAF, I wouldn't resist being the feeder league to the NFL at all.  I think it could attract a lot of high potential/needs seasoning young talent, some current players who are "finds" like Lorenzo Alexander was for the Bills and perhaps some ex-players wanting to play again. It could also be a fertile ground for coaching talent as well going forward, not beholden to "coaching trees" and retreads.  

I just don’t see it. It will never compete with college football or the NFL. Coaches will always have had some level of success in one of those 2 levels before getting elevated. It will be a haven for washed up coaches and players.

NFL teams will take their shots still on “needs seasoning” guys and will either keep them or PS the. This holds especially true with the expanded PS.

This league, like all minor league football, will inevitably fail. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just don’t see it. It will never compete with college football or the NFL. Coaches will always have had some level of success in one of those 2 levels before getting elevated. It will be a haven for washed up coaches and players.

NFL teams will take their shots still on “needs seasoning” guys and will either keep them or PS the. This holds especially true with the expanded PS.

No. It will fail because we already have minor league football. It’s called the CFL.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

This ^^^.   Have the NFL fund the league, and make it a true development/feeder league.

If the Bills were affiliated with one of these teams and we could watch their prospects we would watch every game, buy gear, attend games, ect. Also the later round drafted QB's who are always considered "projects" could have more reps and time to develop.

4 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

If the Bills were affiliated with one of these teams and we could watch their prospects we would watch every game, buy gear, attend games, ect. Also the later round drafted QB's who are always considered "projects" could have more reps and time to develop.

It seems to be very QB-focused.

Those talented developmental guys that we never see get a real chance...they may become stars in this league. People who rooted for them in college will still follow them.

They definitely need to devote more resources to marketing, though. Not enough people are even aware of the league at this point.

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Before Spurrier went on to become one of the biggest names in college coaching he was the coach of the USFL's Tampa Bay Bandits.  When the USFL folded I wanted the Bills to fire Hank Bullough & hire Spurrier.  That was before I read the 1986 media guide where it stated in Bill Polian's bio his close ties with Marv Levy.  Anyone who read that bio knew that it was only a matter of time before Marv was going to come in & replace Bullough.  I wonder if Bullough ever read it & realized he was dead coach walking. 

I knew Hank Bullough was toast quick with Jim Kelly in town. Never knew that link back then.

... I watched a lot of the USFL and if they had stayed with their business model they could have succeeded. But a certain person who shall remain nameless bought the NJ Generals and had one intention to get into the NFL and move to the fall. We all know what happened after that.

27 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

No. It will fail because we already have minor league football. It’s called the CFL.

That’s not any better. We had the reigning league MVP in for a workout this offseason and no one even noticed. 

The reality is is minor league football will never exist in North America. College Football is WAY too big. You can try to jumpstart some international interest like what happened in basketball 30 years ago. It has created solid leagues around the world. 

26 minutes ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Way too much of an injury risk in football to expose your prospects to extra games. 

This is the league where washed up guys will shoot for one more shot at glory. I am just hoping that Freddie Jackson and Boobie Dixon stay away!!

34 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Everything Kirby says here is obviously true.  There is no demand by the NFL for a "feeder league"---beyond the best league (NCAAF) there will ever be.  In fact, it makes no logical sense--it will be mainly filled with guys who washed out of the NFL (unwanted) or guys who were never drafted/signed (unwanted).  Maybe 5-10 guys will get a look in the NFL before this league inevitably folds.

This will be outdoor Arena Football.  And check the roster of "young coaching talent": Cottrell, Pendry, Spurrier!!

40 minutes ago, Degenerate Mike in HHDS said:

I knew Hank Bullough was toast quick with Jim Kelly in town. Never knew that link back then.

... I watched a lot of the USFL and if they had stayed with their business model they could have succeeded. But a certain person who shall remain nameless bought the NJ Generals and had one intention to get into the NFL and move to the fall. We all know what happened after that.

Here's what it said under Polian's bio in the 1986 media guide while Hank Bullough was still the coach "Polian joined the Bills in August of 1984 after working one year as player personnel director of the USFL Chicago Blitz.  In Chicago, Polian was associated with head coach Marv Levy, with whom he had previously worked in both Montreal of the Canadian League, as a U.S. scout during the 1976-77 seasons, and Kansas City, as a pro scout from 1978-82."  The 1987 media guide had a very similar paragraph, changing the wording slightly to reflect Marv was now the Bills coach: "Polian joined the Bills in August, 1984 after working one year as player personnel director of the USFL Chicago Blitz.  In Chicago, Polian worked closely with Buffalo's present head coach Marv Levy, who was coach of the Blitz at the time/  Polian's association with Levy goes back to 1976 when he was a U.S. scout for the Montreal Alouettes during Levy's tenure with the club.  He later assisted Levy as a pro scout in Kansas City from 1978-82." 

6 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Josh Allen is playing for the Arizona Hotshots.  Looks like he put on a few pounds since the Bills season ended.

How many Josh Allens are there who play football?  The Bills should just claim the rights to all of them.  

56 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s not any better. We had the reigning league MVP in for a workout this offseason and no one even noticed. 

The reality is is minor league football will never exist in North America. College Football is WAY too big. You can try to jumpstart some international interest like what happened in basketball 30 years ago. It has created solid leagues around the world. 

Way too much of an injury risk in football to expose your prospects to extra games. 

This is the league where washed up guys will shoot for one more shot at glory. I am just hoping that Freddie Jackson and Boobie Dixon stay away!!

We will have to see.  I feel like college football is slowly coming apart at the seams with players sitting out bowl games, and people pushing for players to be paid (which I dont think should ever happen).

The Pacific Football League, or whatever they are calling it could be damaging to college football with their allowing players to play directly out of high school and get paid to do so.

59 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Contrast the G league of the NBA and the CFL and you’ll find it’s not much different. It’s not a replacment for college play, yet.

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

We will have to see.  I feel like college football is slowly coming apart at the seams with players sitting out bowl games, and people pushing for players to be paid (which I dont think should ever happen).

The Pacific Football League, or whatever they are calling it could be damaging to college football with their allowing players to play directly out of high school and get paid to do so.

That’s the league with Brady’s agent? That’s at least a novel idea but it has no prayer. The Big 10 Media Deal is worth $2.64B over 6 years. How can some minor league EVER compete with that? These minor leagues generate 1/1000th of a percent. It’s just never going to happen. I’d bet every dime that I have that all of these league’s fail. In 3-5 years some other former league exec will start the next one, rinse, wash, repeat. 

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Contrast the G league of the NBA and the CFL and you’ll find it’s not much different. It’s not a replacment for college play, yet.

Not a replacement and not within 37,000,000,000 miles are not the same though. It’s like saying, “I’m not Josh Allen’s replacement, yet.” I never will be and none of these leagues will ever touch college sports (or come within 37,000,000,000 miles). 

International ale is a chance at a functioning minor league (and that’s already failed a few times).