The AAF Thread

One of the old AFL's early.positivea was good enthusiastic announcers. I tried to watch a game with Maurice Jones Drew, Marvin Lewis and Dan Heilie and it was horrible. Worse than listening to paint dry. MJS is brutally bad, Marvin Lewis sound as if Brown gave him a frontal lobotomy before he was let go...

Edited by Spiderweb
Oops

9 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

One of the old AFL's early.positivea was good enthusiastic announcers. I tried to watch a game with Maurice Jones Drew, Marvin Lewis and Dan Heilie and it was horrible. Worse than listening to paint dry. MJS is brutally bad, Marvin Lewis sound as if Brown gave him a frontal lobotomy before he was let go...

The guy doing the play by play was fine, but the other two were worse than horrible.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

With the success of the AAF, I think Vince's best move going forward is to create a league that is a viable option to players coming out of high school as opposed to college.  If he is able to sign a few top high school recruits, it will change the landscape of football.

They have a stats page up now: https://aaf.com/arizona-hotshots/stats

It's not too well-organized yet. You can only click through each team.

Top 2 players in each category:

Passing yards

Wolford, Hotshots - 275

Woodside, Commanders - 255

Completion % (minimum 10 attempts)

Wolford, Hotshots - 62.1

Gilbert, Apollos - 60

Bercovici, Fleet - 60 (still got benched due to poor decision-making)

Rushing yards

Hunt, Apollos - 73

Pressley, Hotshots - 64

Receiving yards

Patton, Iron - 107

Ross, Hotshots - 104

Sacks

Massaquoi, Iron - 2

Washington, Commanders - 2

Moore, Fleet - 1.5

Interceptions

Garvin, Apollos - 2

Many tied at 1

Tackles

Gates, Express - 10

Garvin, Apollos - 8

Top 2 teams in each category:

Apollos - 40

Hotshots - 38

Total yards

Hotshots - 416

Commanders - 364

Turnover differential

Hotshots +3

Apollos +3

After the first weekend, the Apollos and Hotshots stand out as the most well-rounded teams. Garvin was a beast on defense for the Apollos. Wolford lit up the desert sky for the Hotshots, being both efficient and explosive. Both were named offensive and defensive players of the week respectively, along with Iron kicker Nick Novak, who hit all four of his kicks in the Iron's shutout of the Express. 

Matchups to watch this week are Apollos vs Commanders (Sunday, 4pm ET, CBSSN) and Iron vs Stallions (Saturday, 2pm ET, TNT)

• Thank you (+1) 1

Bumped for week 2:

Salt Lake at Birmingham

Saturday, Feb. 16

2 p.m. 

TNT

Arizona at Memphis

Saturday, Feb. 16

8 p.m. 

NFL Network

Orlando at San Antonio

Sunday, Feb. 17

4 p.m. 

CBS Sports Network

Atlanta at San Diego

Sunday, Feb. 17

8 p.m.

NFL Network

• Thank you (+1) 2

If they can keep developing this league, it should succeed. A few key points need to happen. They need to target high school kids with the option of making 85k a year for 3 years and then getting drafted, instead of working for 3 years for free and having to do some semblance of classes and schoolwork. If I had no interest in getting a college degree I would certainly choose the former.

The AAF also needs to have an agreement with the NFL, where NFL teams can loan practice squad players to the AAF. Since there are 32 nfl teams and only 8 AAF teams it would be around 4 teams per AAF team. And of course you don’t want the AAF filled with all practice squad players so you would need to cap it at 1 per team or so. This would give hardcore fans of those teams a vested interest in watching. I would certainly watch the Birmingham Iron if the Bills had Cam Phillips down there. Other than that, I feel the AAF has a pretty good base. If they can swing those two points I think this league could succeed for a long time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo Bills linebacker A.J. Tarpley retired from the NFL after playing only one season, in 2016. Tarpley said concussions played a big role in his decision, but now he has returned to the gridiron as a member of the San Diego Fleet of the Alliance of American Football. (Buffalo News file photo)

Why former Bills linebacker A.J. Tarpley decided to play football again

https://buffalonews.com/2019/02/14/buffalo-bills-aj-tarpley-rex-ryan-nfl-aaf-san-diego-fleet-bank-of-america-wall-street-2019/

16 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Kaepernick and Tebow both turned down the AAF.  Kaepernick wanted $20 mil and Tebow stuck with baseball.  

If this league didn't make, those two saying no are likely why. ...

PS where is Johnny Football in all of this?

JFF flamed out in the CFL so doubt they would seek him out for this 

Edited by YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, peterpan said:

Kaepernick and Tebow both turned down the AAF.  Kaepernick wanted $20 mil and Tebow stuck with baseball.  

If this league didn't make, those two saying no are likely why. ...

PS where is Johnny Football in all of this?

If the AAF dies out, it's not because of those two. It'll die out if players stop viewing it as an opportunity to get into the NFL. The points that @Bills2ref noted are ones I also think are key to survival, especially bringing in high school players.

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Bumped for week 2:

Salt Lake at Birmingham

Saturday, Feb. 16

2 p.m. 

TNT

Arizona at Memphis

Saturday, Feb. 16

8 p.m. 

NFL Network

Orlando at San Antonio

Sunday, Feb. 17

4 p.m. 

CBS Sports Network

Atlanta at San Diego

Sunday, Feb. 17

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Iron and Apollos are currently favored at -7 and -6, but those games should be close. Commanders and Stallions are good teams.

On the flip side, the Express and Legends looked horrible in week one, but we'll see. It seems that Mike Singletary is not cut out to be a good head coach.

On February 15, 2019 at 8:18 AM, Bills2ref said:

If they can keep developing this league, it should succeed. A few key points need to happen. They need to target high school kids with the option of making 85k a year for 3 years and then getting drafted, instead of working for 3 years for free and having to do some semblance of classes and schoolwork. If I had no interest in getting a college degree I would certainly choose the former.

The AAF also needs to have an agreement with the NFL, where NFL teams can loan practice squad players to the AAF. Since there are 32 nfl teams and only 8 AAF teams it would be around 4 teams per AAF team. And of course you don’t want the AAF filled with all practice squad players so you would need to cap it at 1 per team or so. This would give hardcore fans of those teams a vested interest in watching. I would certainly watch the Birmingham Iron if the Bills had Cam Phillips down there. Other than that, I feel the AAF has a pretty good base. If they can swing those two points I think this league could succeed for a long time. 

If you are a top HS player, you aren't even considering the AAF.  Your chances of getting drafted from college to the NFL are infinitely higher than getting "drafted" into the NFL from the AAF.  If you are not one of the best HS recruit candidates in the country, you likely aren't going to be offered 85K a year for 3 years by a league struggling to find viewers.  

Also, the is zero benefit for the NFL to loan players to this league.  And are local fans really going to be interested because there is a single NFL PS player on the AAF team roster?  Hard to imagine how any of this makes sense.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you are a top HS player, you aren't even considering the AAF.  Your chances of getting drafted from college to the NFL are infinitely higher than getting "drafted" into the NFL from the AAF.  If you are not one of the best HS recruit candidates in the country, you likely aren't going to be offered 85K a year for 3 years by a league struggling to find viewers.  

Also, the is zero benefit for the NFL to loan players to this league.  And are local fans really going to be interested because there is a single NFL PS player on the AAF team roster?  Hard to imagine how any of this makes sense.  

I completely disagree. 4 practice squad players per team would definitely increase interest. There are plenty of die hard Bills fans (myself included) who would watch for one single player. You aren’t converting many casual fans but you never had much of a chance to do that anyways. 

Of course you aren’t recruiting the top 50 HS players in the country. Your sweet spot are the top of the next echelon. If you have a scholarship offer from, say, a UB or 30-60th ranked school. You can go take that scholarship, pretend to work on a college degree, and play football for free. Or you can go, not worry about any semblance of school work, and make 85k a year. Oh, and your talents are still showcased for the NFL draft. Perhaps even more because your playing in a league where 80% of players have had an NFL contract at some point. 

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

I completely disagree. 4 practice squad players per team would definitely increase interest. There are plenty of die hard Bills fans (myself included) who would watch for one single player. You aren’t converting many casual fans but you never had much of a chance to do that anyways. 

Of course you aren’t recruiting the top 50 HS players in the country. Your sweet spot are the top of the next echelon. If you have a scholarship offer from, say, a UB or 30-60th ranked school. You can go take that scholarship, pretend to work on a college degree, and play football for free. Or you can go, not worry about any semblance of school work, and make 85k a year. Oh, and your talents are still showcased for the NFL draft. Perhaps even more because your playing in a league where 80% of players have had an NFL contract at some point. 

So prospects just out of the “top 50”would be the “sweet spot” for the AAF??

in their wildest dreams!!

the top 30 are 5 star recruits.  The next 260 or so are 4 stars.  Each Div 1 school has 25 scholarships to give to each feeshman class The SEC alone could take every 4 and 5 star recruit and still have full s home ships left over to give out to 3 star kids.

AAF’s is to pick up a few decent college players the NFL doesn’t want.  Otherwise it’s all released players or plane nobodies.

No pro league competing against the NFL has survived on hardcore fans who might know th names of 4 PS players on any NFL. Team.