The AAF Thread

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

So is this being viewed as a bit of a farm system by NFL people? 

Not officially. But the AAF is run by a lot of ex-NFL players and personnel people, and games are shown on NFL Network. The AAF season ends just before NFL draft too.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

40 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

So is this being viewed as a bit of a farm system by NFL people? 

I think it’s viewed as a developmental league for those struggling to make or stay on an nfl roster. But same rules as far as how long you need to be in college prior to playing (3 years)

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it’s viewed as a developmental league for those struggling to make or stay on an nfl roster. But same rules as far as how long you need to be in college prior to playing (3 years)

Does cfl have three year rule also? Where does a guy go if he does not want college but wants to be pro?

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I think it’s viewed as a developmental league for those struggling to stay on an nfl roster. But same rules as far as how long you need to be in college prior to playing (3 years)

Discussing xfl vs aaf and nfl with a friend and what it would take for xfl to succeed. One thing we brought up was the xfl should go after college players that arent eligible for nfl. It would help them get talent.  Especially if they want to go toe to toe with the nfl in nfl cities. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Does cfl have three year rule also? Where does a guy go if he does not want college but wants to be pro?

Last I looked it was after Senior year for NCAA or other US schools, and three years for Canadian schools or equivalent to be eligible

Edited by row_33

Just now, MJS said:

Matt Asiata had some good play in the NFL. Wonder why he can't get on an NFL team. Probably because he's 31.

I wonder if you'll see a lot of older running backs in this league.

Pretty sure I had Asiata on a fantasy roster when he was with the Vikes. Doesn’t seem like it was that long ago. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Who is this Perez kid? Looks decent.

All these WRs must be former Bills, cant make a catch.

What are they paying these guys?

Yeah, these receivers suck. I've seen more receivers hit in the facemask with the ball today than I have the rest of my life watching football. If a ball is close enough to hit you know the face, should be a catch.

I think they all make 250 k. Same non-gaurenteed contract for every player, I heard.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

Yeah, these receivers suck. I've seen more receivers hit in the facemask with the ball today than I have the rest of my life watching football. If a ball is close enough to hit you know the face, should be a catch.

I think they all make 250 k. Same non-gaurenteed contract for every player, I heard.

The orlando sentinel said all players get 3 year $250000 contracts so 80+ per year. Or about same as CFL i believe.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the defensive backs look good. I've seen multiple good plays in the defensive backfield. The receivers all look terrible.

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

The orlando sentinel said all players get 3 year $250000 contracts so 80+ per year. Or about same as CFL i believe.

Yeah, that's right. 250k over 3 years.

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wasn't aware of that, playing nice with the NFL with regard to eligibility. Smart move. Time will tell whether the league succeeds but it's an interesting niche they're trying to carve out and they have some credibility with regard to the coaching staff and league representation.

I watched a game last night and had it on today. The NFL benefits from some of the AAF experiments.

Having the replay officials on air is risky. I saw a great example last night where the official talked through what he was seeing and an awful one today.

There was also a fantastic camera angle for a punt last night (maybe from a drone?) where you could see where it was going out of bounds.

But I'm not a fan of eliminating kickoffs and the extra point. 

13 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I know.  Taking away punts would eliminate gunners and returners entirely, which would remove the potential for those guys to showcase their abilities in those roles.

Is there any shortage of those players?    I don't think there is.

And there CERTAINLY isn't a shortage of kickers...........we'll probably see a 70 yard game winning FG in the next season or two.

In terms of development.......to me it's about finding guys who can play offensive and defensive snaps.

If they look like they can actually give you quality snaps on O or D then you bring them to camp and find out about their special teams game there.

I'd also add that.......if as Polian says.......the objective is to get teams to send their practice squad player to the AAF........do you think they want their prospective Robert Fosters and Levi Wallaces getting beat up on special teams?    I don't think they do.

Edited by BADOLBILZ