The AAF Thread

Birmingham has both the Patriots and Bills in their "territory."

I just spoke to one of my close friends, who is a Pats fan.  He's rooting for Birmingham, too.  

Will the Birmingham Iron bring Pats fans and Bills fans together????  ?

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is he related to Christian Okoye? 

Nope.

They keep saying Birmingham has these old bill rights. My count was the have 1 former Bill. The SD team last night had at least 2 and I didn’t even go through their roster. The SD team had 2 guys that actually played and mattered a little for the Bills. Birmingham has a punter that was terrible and was cut 2 or 3 times.

14 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

They keep saying Birmingham has these old bill rights. My count was the have 1 former Bill. The SD team last night had at least 2 and I didn’t even go through their roster. The SD team had 2 guys that actually played and mattered a little for the Bills. Birmingham has a punter that was terrible and was cut 2 or 3 times.

14 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Birmingham also has WR Quan Bray, DT Rickey Hatley and Ted Cottrell is coaching their linebackers.

7 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Birmingham also has WR Quan Bray, DT Rickey Hatley and Ted Cottrell is coaching their linebackers.

Alright. I guess I just see Ron Brooks and Tarpley and think about guys who actually played for the Bills. Not just had a cup of coffee and 90% of Bills fans wouldn’t even remember the were here.

15 hours ago, HappyDays said:

These guys aren't even practice squad caliber. Practice squad players in the NFL make $130,000 a year. AAF players are paid around $83,000 a year.

Once you get to 3rd Rb or 5th Wr vs practice squad vs these guys... it’s probably six of one and a half dozen the other. I won’t pretend that most GMs could articulate the difference between the 160th best WR and the 190th. It’s just scheme fit, roster fit and familiarity at that point. 

I suppose you could say the same about the 80th and 105th qb beyond you really don’t want to see them play while the other positions can blend in a bit more 

6 hours ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

I don't see this league lasting at all. I think the purpose of this league is to test the new rules and see how those new rules would affect the game. I'd be shocked if it lasted past year 2 or 3. Was interesting to see Ron Brooks and AJ Tarpley out there though. 

I disagree.

I think for once, they actually have a chance of survival.

They seem to have an idea a logical place alongside the NFL rather than competing. The fact a game this weekend is actually on NFL Network is hugely significant. If the NFL buys into it as a developmental league, that's huge.

This was better than expected.  I would think interest will decline when the weak improves.

Some observations based on one game:

»  I liked the camera on the repay official.

»  QB play was poor.  More work needed in practice.

»  OL play was poor.  The defenses generally were able to push them around easily.

»  I was expecting more new offensive plays and pay calling.  Seemed old school to a degree.

»  I did not miss the kickoffs at all.  Thought I would but no.

»  Seems like quality coaches, refs need work.

Overall a good first effort.  Hard to see the league doing well financially as football has such a high overhead.

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

So is the game today not on locally?

Nope.  I mentioned this a few pages ago...

17 hours ago, /dev/null said:

unfortunately week one are the only games broadcast OTA.  The rest of the season requires a cable subscription (CBS Sports Network and NFL Network) or a streaming service called BR Live (Bleacher Report).  BR Live is a new streaming service that is currently free but will become a pay service