The AAF Thread

Just now, Bills2ref said:

Are there actually people crazy enough to think it’s an NFL competitor? 

Well, maybe.

What I was referring to is the idea that this league or the XFL (past or future) are or even can be some sort of "minor league" for the NFL.....as if the NCAA does not exist! 

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, maybe.

What I was referring to is the idea that this league or the XFL (past or future) are or even can be some sort of "minor league" for the NFL.....as if the NCAA does not exist! 

The hope is that players can forego the NCAA and start getting paid right away in these leagues. If that can't happen, then there's not much potential.

I don't know what the blockers are. Seems to work for the MLB and NBA.

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The hope is that players can forego the NCAA and start getting paid right away in these leagues. If that can't happen, then there's not much potential.

I don't know what the blockers are. Seems to work for the MLB and NBA.

The guys who can't make it in the NFL can probably go to one of these leagues or Arena.

The NBA?  They get their roster from the NCAA too.  The D league tosses a few players a year, but it's insignificant.  Neither is anything like MLB.  Not even comparable.

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The guys who can't make it in the NFL can probably go to one of these leagues or Arena.

The NBA?  They get their roster from the NCAA too.  The D league tosses a few players a year, but it's insignificant.  Neither is anything like MLB.  Not even comparable.

I think high school players could be developed in this league and get paid for it, rather than go to the NCAA and get exploited for 2-4 years. If that could happen, we'd see a lot of top high school recruits foregoing college.

I'd be disappointed if it wasn't in their plans to try that out.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I think high school players could be developed in this league and get paid for it, rather than go to the NCAA and get exploited for 2-4 years. If that could happen, we'd see a lot of top high school recruits foregoing college.

interesting idea, turn the AAF into the football equivalent of the OHL

35 minutes ago, JPL7 said:

I wonder if any AAF guys will find their way to training camp with the Bills? Any guys you all would prefer? I would like to see  Karter Schult and Kenneth Farrow. 

I'll bet a few dozen AAF players will get camp invites. 

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

interesting idea, turn the AAF into the football equivalent of the OHL

Be disappointed....The AAF has the same eligibility rules as the NFL--no players less than 3 years out of high school.

Top HS recruits just are not going to bypass top NCAA programs for what is not even a D league.

It's always a bit of a chuckle for fans at home to decide that NCAA players are (suddenly?) being exploited.  They would just laugh at us to our faces if we approached them with this bit of self-righteous nonsense.

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Be disappointed....The AAF has the same eligibility rules as the NFL--no players less than 3 years out of high school.

Top HS recruits just are not going to bypass top NCAA programs for what is not even a D league.

It's always a bit of a chuckle for fans at home to decide that NCAA players are (suddenly?) being exploited.  They would just laugh at us to our faces if we approached them with this bit of self-righteous nonsense.

I'm saying I hope they would plan on becoming a D league. If a player could go into a developmental league for a 6 figure contract and be eligible for the NFL draft or a pro contract after a few years, so many would opt to go that route instead of going to college.

So many. 

The staying potential of this league would skyrocket, if that could happen.

If it's just going to be a minor league for NFL wash-outs, then there's little potential. If they could somehow get backups/practice squad players in there, then there'd be some potential. That seems unlikely to me.

You seem to be in agreement, but just in the typical WEO tone.

20 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm saying I hope they would plan on becoming a D league. If a player could go into a developmental league for a 6 figure contract and be eligible for the NFL draft or a pro contract after a few years, so many would opt to go that route instead of going to college.

So many. 

The staying potential of this league would skyrocket, if that could happen.

If it's just going to be a minor league for NFL wash-outs, then there's little potential. If they could somehow get backups/practice squad players in there, then there'd be some potential. That seems unlikely to me.

You seem to be in agreement, but just in the typical WEO tone.

So many?  These guys all think they are going to be drafted after a successful career in the NCAA.  No 4 or 5 star recruit will take that 250k.

It doesn't matter anyway, as I said, HS grads can't play in the AAF.  Their only option out of HS is the NCAA or getting a real job.

It's about fact, not "tone". 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So many?  These guys all think they are going to be drafted after a successful career in the NCAA.  No 4 or 5 star recruit will take that 250k.

It doesn't matter anyway, as I said, HS grads can't play in the AAF.  Their only option out of HS is the NCAA or getting a real job.

It's about fact, not "tone". 

They'd get drafted/the big NFL contract after playing in the D league a few years, just like they would coming out of college. Get paid, then drafted or play for free, then drafted.

We all know most 4 or 5 star recruits will want to get paid sooner than later. What if they don't pan out in college or get a bad injury and don't even get drafted?...

It would be an easy decision if the league could actually offer this.

I've been talking hypotheticals this whole time. You're just your typical argumentative self.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

They'd get drafted/the big NFL contract after playing in the D league a few years, just like they would coming out of college. Get paid, then drafted or play for free, then drafted.

We all know most 4 or 5 star recruits will want to get paid sooner than later. What if they don't pan out in college or get a bad injury and don't even get drafted?...

I've been talking hypotheticals this whole time. You're just your typical argumentative self.

I'm really not.

Being "hypothetical" doesn't make it more logical.  The leagues aren't taking 18 year olds.  Even if they did, top recruited 18 year olds are going to take their chances in the NCAA for the NFL.   When they fail, they will seek these other leagues.  The leagues are for guys who can't make it or to the NFL.

More than half the 5 star recruits are drafted into the NFL.  Less than 10% (I'm being very generous with this "hypothetical") AAF'ers, I'd guess, will make it onto an NFL roster.

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Like I said earlier, the AAF stole WEO’s lunch money ? he has a personal vendetta. In the words of Eminem “I have been sent here to destroy you” 

55 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Like I said earlier, the AAF stole WEO’s lunch money ? he has a personal vendetta. In the words of Eminem “I have been sent here to destroy you” 

It's nothing personal. It's just how WEO rolls.

9 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's nothing personal. It's just how WEO rolls.

Really.  A vendetta against... the AAF!!  That's a very persuasive argument!  You got me.  But seriously...

...Just because neither of you bother dispute the points laid out for you, this what you have to say, I guess.