The AAF Thread

3 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Until Saturday, I did not know the league existed. I was very skeptical but after watching the games and reading how they put it together, I think it has a real shot.  It will never be quality football but with some time it could be an entertaining and serve as "minor league" football with players to keep an eye on.  

Biggest takeaway: The defenses appear to be two or three games ahead of the offense, which makes sense, especially since offensive linemen are hard to find and skill positions will have a major flaw or two (speed, size, ability to catch, run routes, arm strength, accuracy, etc).  Even Trent Richardson looked really good but then on a few plays you're reminded why he's not in the NFL. 

Last, I like rule changes; especially the rules to speed up the game,  the "kickoff" and transparent video replay.  The mandatory two-point conversion makes sense and even the modified "on-sides" rule could be intriguing, or at the very least, more successful than today's NFL on-sides success rate.  (When was the last time you've seen a successful kick?).

Only downside to the quicker game is the offense seem to get gassed as the game went on but certainly with a try.  

Conditioning and chemistry are an issue, for now, since they've only had ~30 days together.

• Like (+1) 1

Whether or not this league sticks around for the long haul (and I absolutely hope it does, because I want more football and the NFL needs a developmental league), I expect the NFL to steal the best ideas the AAF has, just as they did to the XFL.

I think the NFL, in time, will end up implementing the transparent replay official, the elimination of the kickoff, more players being mic'd up, and a lot of the chip tracking technology.

I really hope this league succeeds. It's got a real shot. It just needs some star power.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Whether or not this league sticks around for the long haul (and I absolutely hope it does, because I want more football and the NFL needs a developmental league), I expect the NFL to steal the best ideas the AAF has, just as they did to the XFL.

I think the NFL, in time, will end up implementing the transparent replay official, the elimination of the kickoff, more players being mic'd up, and a lot of the chip tracking technology.

I really hope this league succeeds. It's got a real shot. It just needs some star power.

One big difference that the NFL won't (re)adopt is letting the players hit the snot out of each other.  Many hits in yesterday's game would have been 15-yard penalties in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

One big difference that the NFL won't (re)adopt is letting the players hit the snot out of each other.  Many hits in yesterday's game would have been 15-yard penalties in the NFL.

Funnily enough, I think that's one of the AAF's early drawing powers: Hard hits. There are A LOT of football fans who miss seeing hits like that, for better or worse. I agree that the NFL won't go backwards on that one, but it may be what helps the AAF stick around.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Funnily enough, I think that's one of the AAF's early drawing powers: Hard hits. There are A LOT of football fans who miss seeing hits like that, for better or worse. I agree that the NFL won't go backwards on that one, but it may be what helps the AAF stick around.

I think the XFL is gonna be doing this. The "extreme" part last time was a gimmick, but I see them catering to the fans who think the NFL has become too soft. But yeah, the hit on the San Diego QB was unreal. I loved it though.

I've seen bits and pieces of this league so far and like a lot of what I've seen.

There are some things I would change if I were Charlie Ebersol:

First of all, as I said earlier, have players whose rights are owned by NFL teams and have the NFL team emblem on the back of their helmet to make them easily identifiable, just to give us extra incentive to watch.

In between drives (when not showing an ad) show quick 90 second 'get to know' segments of the players, maybe ones with interesting stories or charismatic personalities. One of the big problems new leagues like this have is that people don't know the players, they're just faceless guys in a new uniform, but when you get to know the players a bit you form more of a connection and take more of an interest.

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I think the XFL is gonna be doing this. The "extreme" part last time was a gimmick, but I see them catering to the fans who think the NFL has become too soft. But yeah, the hit on the San Diego QB was unreal. I loved it though.

I agree, there's definitely a place for that 'old school' approach. The XFL had some nice ideas last time but ruined them with crap play and all the stupid wrestling style antics.

The ideas of playing only outdoors, on real grass, with real hits, is something that appeals to someone of my age group. But of course that's not enough. You still have to take the product seriously. 

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

I agree, there's definitely a place for that 'old school' approach. The XFL had some nice ideas last time but ruined them with crap play and all the stupid wrestling style antics.

The ideas of playing only outdoors, on real grass, with real hits, is something that appeals to someone of my age group. But of course that's not enough. You still have to take the product seriously. 

The outdoor, real grass thing doesn't bother me in football so much as it does in baseball. There's a much more obvious effect in baseball from artificial turf. 

I watched parts of both games and liked it. The hit on SD QB that sent his "head" rolling across the field looked like legal hit and there was no flag. NFL would have been from every official. The replay official being there was already better than Al Riveron. Last, a split screen commercial is fine by me

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t agree. The most important sports market in the us in the north east and they have no teams there. They exist to make money. You are going to want to put teams in a place where you have the highest chance of attendance and interest.

I think you are reading the wrong tea leaves. The AAF wants to be in football crazy places without NFL teams. They want to be the only game in town. Orlando loves football of any kind and if the team is good it will have a loyal following soon. I would expect the same of San Antonio also. The Apollos are now Orlandos pro team.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I think you are reading the wrong tea leaves. The AAF wants to be in football crazy places without NFL teams. They want to be the only game in town. Orlando loves football of any kind and if the team is good it will have a loyal following soon. I would expect the same of San Antonio also. The Apollos are now Orlandos pro team.

...would be economic suicide for them to attempt to go heads up in an NFL market.............

Agreed

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...would be economic suicide for them to attempt to go heads up in an NFL market.............

Agreed- i think even trying to draft off of NFL teams- like the XFL appears to be- is not the best way to make it work. Make your own mark in a new market