The AAF Thread

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Not having Ny, Boston or Philly is suicide 

Actually, it makes no sense to have games in February there. The only team even remotely north is in Utah.  The league is not designed to be a major league.  The cities you mention don't want minor league teams playing in the dead of winter.  The AAF only has 2 teams in NFL cities for a good reason-they're trying to play in places without pro football.  Putting teams in NFL cities is what will kill the new XFL.  The only XFL city without an NFL team is St. Louis.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/6/2019 at 9:29 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

Before Spurrier went on to become one of the biggest names in college coaching he was the coach of the USFL's Tampa Bay Bandits.  When the USFL folded I wanted the Bills to fire Hank Bullough & hire Spurrier.  That was before I read the 1986 media guide where it stated in Bill Polian's bio his close ties with Marv Levy.  Anyone who read that bio knew that it was only a matter of time before Marv was going to come in & replace Bullough.  I wonder if Bullough ever read it & realized he was dead coach walking. 

Bullough said “It just took the sails out of my wind”

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/9/2019 at 6:53 PM, thenorthremembers said:

I enjoyed it.  Liked not having kick offs more than I thought I would and the speed of the game has been better than expected.  I'll tune in tomorrow but too late on the east coast to watch the rest of it.

Meh. To me, the kickoff is one of the most exciting plays in the game of football.  The opening kickoff especially, as the fans go nuts (especially for college) in anticipation.

Maybe it’s because of not being familiar with most of the players, but I got bored with the game after awhile but kept it on. Then paid closer attention as San Diego tried to make a comeback at the end.

5 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Meh. To me, the kickoff is one of the most exciting plays in the game of football.  The opening kickoff especially, as the fans go nuts (especially for college) in anticipation.

Maybe it’s because of not being familiar with most of the players, but I got bored with the game after awhile but kept it on. Then paid closer attention as San Diego tried to make a comeback at the end.

Would the fans not go nuts with anticipation for the opening play? I think it’s far more interesting to have an opening pass or run than it is to have the opening play be a kickoff. Half the time, literally half the time, you get the kickoff going into the end zone and then a commercial. 

6 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Actually, it makes no sense to have games in February there. The only team even remotely north is in Utah.  The league is not designed to be a major league.  The cities you mention don't want minor league teams playing in the dead of winter.  The AAF only has 2 teams in NFL cities for a good reason-they're trying to play in places without pro football.  Putting teams in NFL cities is what will kill the new XFL.  The only XFL city without an NFL team is St. Louis.  

I don’t agree. The most important sports market in the us in the north east and they have no teams there. They exist to make money. You are going to want to put teams in a place where you have the highest chance of attendance and interest.

One of the angles of the AAF is having college terratories. So the Birmingham team has lots of Bama and Auburn players. Orlando has lots of Gators and Seminoles. That along with being in warmer climates in the dead of winter. That's why they aren't in NY and Chicago.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Hotshots game was fun. The kids enjoyed it, too. 

70K seat stadium was maybe 1/3 full. The crowd got into it, though. When they score, they play the Shots! song by LMFAO.

Is it just a coincidence all the home teams won?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

One of the angles of the AAF is having college terratories. So the Birmingham team has lots of Bama and Auburn players. Orlando has lots of Gators and Seminoles. That along with being in warmer climates in the dead of winter. That's why they aren't in NY and Chicago.

It is cool to see that Birmingham is playing at Legion Field.

I think that The Iron has 10 players from Alabama. At least a couple of them rarely got a chance to play in Tuscaloosa. One that I know of was a udfa who got injured. I am really glad to see them get another chance to compete.

8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The above makes perfect sense.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is it just a coincidence all the home teams won?

I can't imagine "home field advantage" plays any factor here. Some players have local ties.

All the home teams were favored to win prior to the games. 

Birmingham was the least favored to win the championship, but they dominated the first game.

18 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Who is this Perez kid? Looks decent.

All these WRs must be former Bills, cant make a catch.

What are they paying these guys?

He was my Day 3 sleeper choice from last year's draft; really cool background on him.

He didn't even play football in high school; he was a high school bowler (and sounds like he was good enough to contemplate a professional bowling career). He had always liked football though and looked up "How to be a Quarterback" on YouTube and started trying some of the lessons out in person. Ended up having a connection to Akili Smith and Akili let him join him for some training sessions. He eventually asked his junior college coach if he could join the team as a QB and was named the 9th string QB. Through a crazy series of injuries and him just ascending a bit, he eventually got a chance to play, ended up transferring to a Division 2 school, won the Division 2 championship, won the Division 2 equivalent of the Heisman, and here we are.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Hack's gonna hack.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I can't imagine "home field advantage" plays any factor here. Some players have local ties.

All the home teams were favored to win prior to the games. 

Birmingham was the least favored to win the championship, but they dominated the first game.

I was just trying to be playfully conspiratorial, with tongue firmly in cheek. But what better way to make those ticket buying fans happy than with a season opening win?

On 2/9/2019 at 12:07 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I completely disagree. I think kickoffs are a huge part of football and they need to stay in the nfl

57% of NFL kickoffs are touchbacks anyway. Add that with the fair catch, it's just a boring play that's a waste of time. This league gets right to the action and plays it off as if it was just a touchback. I personally enjoyed the hell out of the game. 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is actually what got me into the league. I have season tickets for UH, so four players, three of which had an enormous impact on the game, all play for San Antonio. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

Best part of anything I've read about the AAF is that Hackenburg was letting F-bombs fly despite being miked up.

..definitely the ONLY thing he can let fly.........sure as hell  isn't footballs..............

10-of-23 passes for 87 yards, no touchdowns, and one interception

• Like (+1) 1

Until Saturday, I did not know the league existed. I was very skeptical but after watching the games and reading how they put it together, I think it has a real shot.  It will never be quality football but with some time it could be an entertaining and serve as "minor league" football with players to keep an eye on.  

Biggest takeaway: The defenses appear to be two or three games ahead of the offense, which makes sense, especially since offensive linemen are hard to find and skill positions will have a major flaw or two (speed, size, ability to catch, run routes, arm strength, accuracy, etc).  Even Trent Richardson looked really good but then on a few plays you're reminded why he's not in the NFL. 

Last, I like rule changes; especially the rules to speed up the game,  the "kickoff" and transparent video replay.  The mandatory two-point conversion makes sense and even the modified "on-sides" rule could be intriguing, or at the very least, more successful than today's NFL on-sides success rate.  (When was the last time you've seen a successful kick?).

Only downside to the quicker game is the offense seem to get gassed as the game went on but certainly with a try.