The AAF Thread

..uh oh...and here comes the competition....audition for Garrett's job??........Switzer II?..............

XFL announces Bob Stoops will coach Dallas team

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 7, 2019, 2:23 PM EST

The XFL has its first coach, and he’s a big name.

Bob Stoops, the national championship-winning former coach of Oklahoma, has agreed to coach the XFL’s team in Dallas when the upstart league re-launches in 2020. Stoops will be the general manager of the Dallas team as well.

So we just heard that the Arena Football League is returning and Columbus has a team again. Not sure if it will be the Destroyers again but it’s starting back up this spring and will play at nationwide arena where the Jackets play. It seems like so long ago but Chris Spielman was the HC at one point. And current Bears HC Matt Nagy was our QB - he had like 74 TDs and 8 ints in 2008 :lol:

Edited by YoloinOhio

21 hours ago, Just Jack said:

How many levels are there with baseball? I know of at least three. 

Seven

AAA

AA

A+

A

A-

Rookie

Summer League

Yes the NFL most definitely needs a real development pipeline.

NCAA has made a staggering fortune on the NFL's willingness to allow the NCAA to do a sh*t job of developing young talent for them.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Seven

AAA

AA

A+

A

A-

Rookie

Summer League

Yes the NFL most definitely needs a real development pipeline.

NCAA has made a staggering fortune on the NFL's willingness to allow the NCAA to do a sh*t job of developing young talent for them.

They also have their foreign farm teams

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So we just heard that the Arena Football League is returning and Columbus has a team again. Not sure if it will be the Destroyers again but it’s starting back up this spring and will play at nationwide arena where the Jackets play. It seems like so long ago but Chris Spielman was the HC at one point. And current Bears HC Matt Nagy was our QB - he had like 74 TDs and 8 ints in 2008 :lol:

One of my best friends is the COO!! I tried to talk him out of it. There’s some uncertainty where he is now but I don’t think that the arena league is more stable. These leagues are all worthless. I’m just hoping his check clears. 

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Arena/Indoor football is entertaining, but just a little too different. I've gone to a few games, but can't get into it long-term.

8 minutes ago, ALF said:

San Diego @ San Antonio  on  CBS   Saturday   8:30 pm - EST 

Are Sunday's games on TV as well? On a cable channel?

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Arena/Indoor football is entertaining, but just a little too different. I've gone to a few games, but can't get into it long-term.

I can't get into Arena ball either. Scoring TDs like basketball teams score buckets. It's not football 

• Like (+1) 1

NFL network is showing Salt Lake Stallions vs. Arizona Hotshots Sunday night at 8 & then re-airing it again @ 10:30.  NFL network agreed to air 1 game per week.  I'm sure I'll put one of the games on at some point if I can but not too sure how intently I'll actually be watching. 

I am kind of intrigued by some of these rule changes.  Sky Judge that can call/correct penalties without having to go to replay is an interesting idea.  Sounds kind of like an extra official in the booth that calls penalties in almost real time.  No extra points, you have to go for 2.  No FGs in OT.  No kickoffs.  On side kick replaced with 4th and 12 from the 28 but I believe there are score/time restrictions so you can't just go for it all the time. 

This league does feel a little different than a lot of the startups from the past, there are a lot of NFL ties to this one, so I can see it hanging around for at least a little while if it's done right and the product is decent.  But if they want to truly become a developmental league for the NFL like MiLB is to the MLB, they need to have better talent than UDFAs and guys that have bounced around practice squads.  The thing that makes the minor leagues of baseball and hockey interesting is that there is actually blue chip players on their way up.  Many of which are international.  How much international talent is there for football besides kickers?  Will the NFL ever attempt to bypass the NCAA or be associated with a league that would allow guys to skip college?  Would the NFL change their 3 years out of high school rule?  I'd say probably not but $$$$$ can change everything. 

Edited by Maybe Someday

12 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

NFL network is showing Salt Lake Stallions vs. Arizona Hotshots Sunday night at 8 & then re-airing it again @ 10:30.  NFL network agreed to air 1 game per week.  I'm sure I'll put one of the games on at some point if I can but not too sure how intently I'll actually be watching. 

I am kind of intrigued by some of these rule changes.  Sky Judge that can call/correct penalties without having to go to replay is an interesting idea.  Sounds kind of like an extra official in the booth that calls penalties in almost real time.  No extra points, you have to go for 2.  No FGs in OT.  No kickoffs.  On side kick replaced with 4th and 12 from the 28 but I believe there are score/time restrictions so you can't just go for it all the time. 

This league does feel a little different than a lot of the startups from the past, there are a lot of NFL ties to this one, so I can see it hanging around for at least a little while if it's done right and the product is decent.  But if they want to truly become a developmental league for the NFL like MiLB is to the MLB, they need to have better talent than UDFAs and guys that have bounced around practice squads.  The thing that makes the minor leagues of baseball and hockey interesting is that there is actually blue chip players on their way up.  Many of which are international.  How much international talent is there for football besides kickers?  Will the NFL ever attempt to bypass the NCAA or be associated with a league that would allow guys to skip college?  Would the NFL change their 3 years out of high school rule?  I'd say probably not but $$$$$ can change everything. 

The are a lot of players that have NFL potential out of college but need seasoning. That's the sweet spot for the AAF. In fact this league could be the perfect antidote for QBs that need to transition from the college to pro game.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

San Diego @ San Antonio  on  CBS   Saturday   8:30 pm - EST 

53 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

NFL network is showing Salt Lake Stallions vs. Arizona Hotshots Sunday night at 8 & then re-airing it again @ 10:30.  

Plus Memphis @ Birmingham on CBSSN Sunday 4pm.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Atlanta Legends at Orlando Apollos
Date: Saturday, Feb. 9 | Time: 8 p.m. ET
TV: CBS | Live stream: CBS All Access

San Diego Fleet at San Antonio Commanders
Date: Saturday, Feb. 9 | Time: 8 p.m. ET
TV: CBS | Live stream: CBS All Access

Memphis Express at " Birmingham Iron "     (Bills interest)
Date: Sunday, Feb. 10 | Time: 4 p.m. ET
TV: CBS Sports Network | Live stream: CBS All Access

Salt Lake Stallions at Arizona Hotshots
Date: Sunday, Feb. 10 | Time: 8 p.m. ET
TV: NFL Network | Live stream: fuboTV (Try for free)

https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/aaf-week-1-how-to-watch-tv-channel-live-stream-odds-picks-prediction-line-watch-online/

52 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The are a lot of players that have NFL potential out of college but need seasoning. That's the sweet spot for the AAF. In fact this league could be the perfect antidote for QBs that need to transition from the college to pro game.

That is true but I'd think most of that unseasoned talent is currently on an NFL roster, even if only signed to a reserve/futures contract, which would include a large number of guys that were on a PS last season.  So unless the NFL actually partners up with the AAF, we'll never see those unseasoned players until all 32 teams deem they are not talented enough to even invite to camp. 

IMO, if the top talent in the league remains lower level PS players and older guys hanging on/trying to make a comeback, it won't last.  They have to figure out how to bring in a higher level of talent.  Even if NFL teams were to allow/assign some of there own PS type players to the AAF team, that would be a huge influx of talent and would make it much more interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I can't get into Arena ball either. Scoring TDs like basketball teams score buckets. It's not football 

Every year I give it a chance because nothing else is on TV on a Saturday afternoon. Every year it seems like it's a game of hot potato, as neither team has any defense and almost every drive ends in a TD. 

I desperately hope this forces the NFL to adapt some of the AAF changes. Much like the NFL adopted some of the XFL concepts. The three I would love the see in the NFL. 1) The official in the booth. This has to happen, put a referee overhead who can make calls in real time. 2) No extra points. The extra point is old and boring, and a lot of games this season went to OT. Make every team go for two points. 3) Eliminating the onside kick. The NFL has to come up with an onside kick alternative. Their new safety rules absolutely eliminated it from the game this year. I think the success rate hovered around 5% this year, down from 15% before the rule changes. 

There has never been an idea more arcade like then no kickoffs and a 4th down for an onside kick. It’s football for Christ sakes. Kick the ball. Every time the nfl tries to act like they want to do away with kickoffs it makes me cringe. I hate that onside kick rule. At some point let’s play Football. Stop trying to make it something else.