The AAF Thread

The problem with these leagues is the level of competition is worse with no difference in the game. People love football but not seeing a worse professional version. 

My thought process is the first pro league that tries to take players from the NCAA would be successful. Could you picture the Birmingham Ironhogs of the AAF or whatever competing with Alabama for the top players in HS football. 

To make it more awesome for the HS kids entering college, offer them 50,000 dollars a year, a promise to pay for 4 years of college after their done playing unless they make the NFL, and still allow your players to enter the NFL after 3-5 years of service. That’s the best I could ever come up with for a new league. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I won’t watch a single play. It is a low level CFL (and we don’t have a CFL sub forum). It will never see season 2. People just aren’t interested in minor league sports

Maybe you mean people just aren't interested in minor league football.

There's tons of interest in minor league sports from local fans. Baseball, hockey, and whatnot.

The AAF is capitalizing on the local interest by assigning players to teams mostly based on region. For instance, the San Diego team has a bunch of SoCal players. Football fans watch a ton of college football and now many of their school's former players will be in the AAF after they didn't quite make it in the NFL. 

This league seems to be doing it right by trying to set up a symbiotic relationship with the NCAA and the NFL, as opposed to what the XFL has done.

The AAF will definitely last more than 1 season.

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Maybe you mean people just aren't interested in minor league football.

There's tons of interest in minor league sports from local fans. Baseball, hockey, and whatnot.

The AAF is capitalizing on the local interest by assigning players to teams mostly based on region. For instance, the San Diego team has a bunch of SoCal players. Football fans watch a ton of college football and now many of their school's former players will be in the AAF after they didn't quite make it in the NFL. 

This league seems to be doing it right by trying to set up a symbiotic relationship with the NCAA and the NFL, as opposed to what the XFL has done.

The AAF will definitely last more than 1 season.

We will see. Lots of places have tried it and it failed. San Diego didn’t support the Chargers I don’t see them falling over themselves for the minor league version. I’m sticking with the o/u of a year. People keep trying these leagues and they keep failing. I expect more of the same.

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Is this true? If so count me in as a Birmingham Fan.

Never mind. They will be my team even if it isn't true. :)

I don't think so. It's mostly based on the player's college and there was also a draft to mix around the better players.

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We will see. Lots of places have tried it and it failed. San Diego didn’t support the Chargers I don’t see them falling over themselves for the minor league version. I’m sticking with the o/u of a year. People keep trying these leagues and they keep failing. I expect more of the same.

Take the over. Almost everyone behind this league are former NFL FO and players. Bill Polian is co-founder and played a major roll. Charlie Ebersol is an experienced TV producer who's worked with the NFL and ESPN. They have partnerships with CBS, CBS SN, NFL Network, and TNT. Ebersol actually produced the 30 for 30 on why the original XFL failed, lol. 

10 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Take the over. Almost everyone behind this league are former NFL FO and players. Bill Polian is co-founder and played a major roll. Charlie Ebersol is an experienced TV producer who's worked with the NFL and ESPN. They have partnerships with CBS, CBS SN, NFL Network, and TNT. Ebersol actually produced the 30 for 30 on why the original XFL failed, lol. 

I know all of that but think I’m a decent litmus rest. I’m a MASSIVE sports fan. I follow everything and watch games daily, all year. I work in an office of 115 people and am comfortable in saying that I am the biggest sports fan in the office. With that being said, I don’t know when this league starts, I don’t know who is playing or where the teams are (and don’t care). If someone with my level of passion doesn’t care I have a hard time believing that they can build a sustainable league. They 1,000% need people like me committed but beyond that they probably need another 10% of that 115 person sample size. This is a group filled with SEC alums and NFL season ticket holders. These are football people, in football country and no one cares. I’m going to let it play out and I hope I’m wrong. I just don’t see any interest. 

Living just outside of Memphis,  I've got tix for the first Memphis Express game. Meeting up with friends at the Liberty Bowl to tailgate early.  We'll have the wings going! 2 more months of football,  league run by Bill Polian and CBS bought the broadcast rights. Should be fun. 

• Like (+1) 1

I plan on watching, and hopefully making the trip from Houston to San Antonio for a Commanders game. I'm a huge fan of University of Houston football, and they have first dibs on former UH players. There's six guys that I watched play in college on the team. Also, Cyril Richardson plays there too. 

XFL is coming to Houston next year. I'll probably attend a game or two just to check out the action. But they're taking the wrong path. AAF is trying to be a developmental league, hoping to get an affilation, or at least an endorsement for the NFL. When a player gets plucked from their rosters and signed to an NFL contract, it's all over the team/league social media, congratulating them and wishing them nothing but the best. 

XFL is attempting to draw fans away from the NFL it seems. They're probably gonna sign some big names that have faded out. IE, Johnny Manziel. I wouldn't be surprised if TO gets signed to the XFL. He might not even play much. But he shows up, signs autographs, and takes five snaps a game, he earns his paycheck. I've read rumors there's gonna be an exclusivity clause that won't allow XFL players to leave if an NFL team calls. Also a stipulation that all players will stand for the anthem, so it's pretty obvious what they're trying to do there.

14 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

I'll take a look from time to time to the San Antonio team.

I believe they have first crack at former Cowboys. They definitely have first crack at all the major NCAA teams in Texas.

• Like (+1) 1