The AAF Thread

2 hours ago, ALF said:

There are some real football names, ex NFL players and coaches, that make me think this will be a real operation. Plus the fact they have actual TV channels (CNS/TNT/NFL Network even) on board gives it an air of legitimacy. 

Key rules to know.  Ebersol has made it a point to note that there's more that makes the AAF and the NFL similar than different. That said, the AAF has introduced a handful of interesting, key differences that separate it from the NFL. 

• Play clock: The AAF's play clock will be 35 seconds, five seconds shorter than the NFL's. Anything less, Ebersol believes, will actually make the games longer due to sloppier play that results in stoppages through incomplete passes, penalties and the like. 
  • Timeouts/challenges: There are no television timeouts during games and an ongoing effort to have fewer commercials to reduce overall game time to roughly 150 minutes instead of 180 minutes in the NFL. Additionally, replays will be limited to two coach's challenges for either team. 
  • Kickoffs: There are no kickoffs; instead, teams will start drives from their own 25-yard lines. In lieu of an onside kick, each team will have a "fourth-and-10" from their 35-yard line. If the offense converts for a first down, it keeps the ball. These alterations were designed not only with player safety in mind, but as a reaction to what NFL fans find to be among the least interesting parts of the game. 
  • Two-point conversions: There will be no extra point attempts after touchdowns, only two-point conversions. 
  • Overtimes: To help keep games within a two-and-a-half hour time slot, there will be one overtime session. Each team will start an offensive possession from the 10-yard line, and just like in regulation, two-point conversions are required. Games can end in a tie after the overtime period. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaf-2019-viewers-guide-schedule-coaches-players-things-to-know-for-new-pro-football-alliance/

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m lucky I’m able to dedicate as much of my free time towards NFL in Sunday’s and hockey on week nights. As interested as I am in these “minor” league systems, it’s just not practical for me to watch. 

That being said, I think it’d be a cool idea to have a forum or thread for updates/highlights/opinions for folks like me :) 

4 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I might tune in once or twice to see how good or bad it is. I also tuned into the XFL once or twice and a couple of other fledgling leagues once or twice but they never won me over.

...bet there will be more here than in the stands...just sayin'.....prolly LESS for WWE Vince......

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...bet there will be more here than in the stands...just sayin'.....prolly LESS for WWE Vince......

I won't watch AAF, but I will watch Vince's clown show for at least the 1st week, maybe longer if he brings back Jesse the Body Ventura on color again. :D

14 minutes ago, Rico said:

I won't watch AAF, but I will watch Vince's clown show for at least the 1st week, maybe longer if he brings back Jesse the Body Ventura on color again. :D

....LMAO.......definite landing spots for Wrecks Ryan.....adds credibility to BOTH ventures (COUGH)....

The way the league works is players from regional schools are assigned to a team and also players cut from certain nfl teams are allocated to teams. The Bills ex players are playing for the Birmingham Iron. So you could kind of think the Iron are sort of the Bills farm team. 

Former Bills on the team are Colton Schmidt, Quan Bray, and Rickey Hatley. 

Edited by Sabres137
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm wondering if enough TBDers will be following the Alliance of American Football this spring that it would merit its own sub-forum? I will certainly be interested in the league as a secondary source for Bills talent. Thoughts? Who decides on creating sub-forums?

Maybe start with a thread for a game before jumping to a forum 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Maybe start with a thread for a game before jumping to a forum 

I don't think a game thread is needed. I mean who knows or cares about who is playing? The main interest, I think, is what players are becoming potential NFL players.

Maybe a a general AAF thread to discuss players?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think a game thread is needed. I mean who knows or cares about who is playing? The main interest, I think, is what players are becoming potential NFL players.

Maybe a a general AAF thread to discuss players?

The point, it flew right by you.

sure. A general aaf thread works.