Jim Kelly retired 22 years ago today - original broadcast

YoloinOhio

I remember this vividly, tough day as a Bills fan--in hindsight I should've been able to see it was coming, but at the time I just figured you couldn't keep the guy down long enough to keep him away from playing in the NFL, especially given how the last game he played ended against the Jags. We also found out later that shortly after this press conference, Jim discovered he was going to have a son, Hunter...may he rest in peace.

So happy for the guy now though, in terms of how he's taken what life's thrown his way since football, and turned those negatives into positives for other people's lives as well--that's the hallmark of a real life hero to me, just my .02 cents.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I had such high hopes for Todd Collins 

If only we had waited a couple years to draft a Michigan QB!

I was at that Jags game and it was pretty clear the team as I knew it was done. Hard to quantify. Just a feeling in the air that was palpable.

I hate Mark Brunell.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I had such high hopes for Todd Collins 

I didn't think much of him but really hoped LoseMan would be something ,knew ej was a bust and wasnt sold on Allen but im all in now. Really think Allen will be special.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Brings me back to the days when women news anchors were hired based on abilities instead of looks...

things really are improving.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I have a memory (perhaps a little fuzzy) of watching Buffalo evening news sportscast during the negotiations to get Kelly here after the USFL folded. The story that night was all about how Jim wanted Ralph to pay up if he wanted him in Buffalo. I just remember the Sportscaster implying that Jim was greedy and was disrespecting Buffalo and Don Postles? concurring in disgust.  Funny how Jim became the champion of the city during his career and after.

I was at the last game that Jim played vs the Jaguars and seeing him carted off was a sad end for a brilliant career. Like most things in life you didn't know what you had until it was gone. 22 years?! Damn!

• Like (+1) 2