All-22 on Jerry Hughes from 2018: Still a “Terrifying Presence”

YoloinOhio

All-22 review: Jerry Hughes better be back with the Buffalo Bills in 2019

Jerry Hughes doesn’t need my GIFs to show you he’s still a terrifying presence, but we’re bringing them to you anyway.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2019/1/31/18202962/all-22-review-jerry-hughes-better-be-back-with-the-buffalo-bills-in-2019-defensive-end

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Bruh...no they don't.  He hasn't had big sack numbers since 2014 and commits unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for running his mouth to the refs...these are always topics they bring up.

Everything is going to be all right.

• Like (+1) 1

I like hughes. I see no reason he should be cut lose but I get very tired of the "pressures" argument for him. its always the same thing with him. "He may not be getting numbers but he's having a great season".... i'm just not a fan of that. the good pass rushers in the nfl are perennially approaching double digit sacks. at what point can we finally say that may matter a bit? the good ones regularly get home on a year to year basis.

I like hughes. solid player. don't want him to go. we need somebody better to be counted on as "the guy" in the pass rush. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

52 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I feel like I'm one of the few Hughes fan on this site.  He gets a lot of heat from fans....I love him.  I wish everyone played with his tenacity.  

You're not the only Hughes fan. He is one of a select group of players that got a big payday and went on to earn every penny. His trade is one of the top three trades the Bills ever made. I wish we had a team full of Jerry Hughes's.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I get very tired of the "pressures" argument for him. its always the same thing with him. "He may not be getting numbers but he's having a great season".... i'm just not a fan of that. the good pass rushers in the nfl are perennially approaching double digit sacks. at what point can we finally say that may matter a bit? the good ones regularly get home on a year to year basis.

“I think if you look at the overall passing game, the statistic that stands out the most in terms of correlation is pressure. So pressure on the quarterback leads to more bad plays than sacks do, in terms of turnovers unless you have strip sacks, obviously. That’s the No. 1. After that, pressures cause bad throws and potentially turnovers.”

- Bill Belichick

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

“I think if you look at the overall passing game, the statistic that stands out the most in terms of correlation is pressure. So pressure on the quarterback leads to more bad plays than sacks do, in terms of turnovers unless you have strip sacks, obviously. That’s the No. 1. After that, pressures cause bad throws and potentially turnovers.”

- Bill Belichick

I dig that man. I really do. can somebody please explain to me then why the premiere rushers are at the top of the sack lists each year, but around here we have to always explain why hughes is so good? At what point does the dude just need to get home? 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I feel like I'm one of the few Hughes fan on this site.  He gets a lot of heat from fans....I love him.  I wish everyone played with his tenacity.  

Ive been eyeing that red Hughes jersey for months.

Jerry is 100% effort every snap, every game. 

If he was just a little biggest, stronger or faster to get through holds he’d be elite. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Only theones that dont see anything but who is leading the league in sacks on ESPN.  I think he gets an extention this offseason.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I dig that man. I really do. can somebody please explain to me then why the premiere rushers are at the top of the sack lists each year, but around here we have to always explain why hughes is so good? At what point does the dude just need to get home? 

Maybe when they''ve got someone else on the other side who can contribute as well. Or through the middle.

The Mario, Kyle, Marcel and Jerry front four, was so good, because any one of them could be the guy to really go after the QB. The last couple of years, any pressure has had to come from Kyle or Jerry by and large. While I appreciate that things have changed schematically, the bottom line is that it's still just two main guys, as opposed to four. With Star largely being a 'space eater', you need the pressure to come from more places, to give anyone a chance of getting home. Kyle aside, anyone see anyone else apart from Jerry generate pressure?

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Very simple. An offense that provides a lead in a game (especially extended leads) allows for lot's of sure-fire passing situations for the defense of said team to thrive off of. Not just passing situations but higher risk passing situations. We haven't had an offense that can consistently build (and hold) a lead in a long, long time.

9 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Maybe when they''ve got someone else on the other side who can contribute as well. Or through the middle.

The Mario, Kyle, Marcel and Jerry front four, was so good, because any one of them could be the guy to really go after the QB. The last couple of years, any pressure has had to come from Kyle or Jerry by and large. While I appreciate that things have changed schematically, the bottom line is that it's still just two main guys, as opposed to four. With Star largely being a 'space eater', you need the pressure to come from more places, to give anyone a chance of getting home. Kyle aside, anyone see anyone else apart from Jerry generate pressure?

Just now, 34-78-83 said:

Very simple. An offense that provides a lead in a game (especially extended leads) allows for lot's of sure-fire passing situations for the defense of said team to thrive off of. Not just passing situations but higher risk passing situations. We haven't had an offense that can consistently build (and hold) a lead in a long, long time.

everything here is fair. I cant disagree with any of these points, guys..... I'd just like to see the guy bring the qb down a couple more times a season.

• Like (+1) 2