Reggie Bush on his time with the Bills: Rex’s staff lacked discipline

YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I still think Rex should go the Wade Phillips route...

Be a great DC on teams that win and maybe win a Super Bowl ring or two.

I still think he is a great defensive coach. He needs someone else to run the team.

There were some games when he was here that his defense looked totally different... Like Rex actually worked that week.

That's what ticked me off most

Pettine ran Rex's defense better.

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The coaches would get drunk at the facility nearly every night and the night before the game 

sure they did.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Pettine ran Rex's defense better.

sure they did.

Ya Pettine did run it better. I think he's willing to teach. Huge problem with Rex wherever he goes if Dc I think his days are over. Among other things.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

7 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I am not revealing the source who told me this...but take that to the bank.

a little more info would be useful, like how would this person know. Name doesn't mean much to me as i wouldn't remember it anyway.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

10 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Rex was shot from his time with the Jets

He needed to take a year off and recharge but came in here running on fumes and just didn't have the passion for the work

Happens in every profession. I think he truly believed that he was all in but once it was time to grind he didn't have it.

IMO that's why the Pegulas fired him so quickly. His record here was .500 and get didn't even get 2 years.

This seems like a very reasonable guess. Makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Ya Pettine did run it better. I think he's willing to teach. Huge problem with Rex wherever he goes. Among other things.

plus the players attacked instead of making 8000 decisions before the snap and  then ended being confused , out of position and not making plays.

12 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Yeah, I felt the same way reading this. Reggie really isn’t in position to point fingers, he should have declined comment. 

He's in great position to speak on HIS experience.  He was there.  He's not saying anything people on this board didn't see and mention over two years, and none of us were verifiably on the team or working in the organization.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Rexs problem was that he took a top 5 defense and turned it into a bottom feeder.

Thats pretty damning for a defensive mastermind. Plus he made the mistake of hiring his own POS brother.

Bills improved on offense as whaley sold the farm and our future over the last 2 or 3 years like we were in some kind of win now mode and we couldnt even make the playoffs.

Yeah. Good riddance!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I really think the reason he got fired as fast as he did was more due to off the field things going on, i.e. showing up to a press conference wearing a Clemson helmet, having an ex player be the game day captain..  Can't recall other things similar anymore, but there were many.  Those are the types of things regardless of the talent, won't change the person.

Oh, I can recall a doozy:  http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/rex-ryan-challenge-arrowhead-bills-chiefs-chris-hogan-james-trapp/1p374npxbp44pzn889dwanu8m

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

I disagree completely with Schopp. 

1) neither of Rex’s teams were better than last year’s Bills IMO. His best year was 8-8. Last year the Bills went 9-7 and made the playoffs for the first time in almost 2 decades, and they had a lot less raw talent than either of Rex’s teams did. 

2) his offense was, for the most part, better than his defense during his time in Buffalo. The 2015 offense was #7 in scoring, and iirc I believe the 2016 offense was also top 10. How many times did we fans say “if only we had our 2014 defense with this 2015/16 offense...” ? If anything, I feel his defense held him back in his time here. 

3) discipline definitely held the Bills back.

They were one of the most penalized teams in the NFL (if not the most penalized). Penalties cost them wins in some games. 

I feel that The lack of discipline trickled throughout the entire team and showed in numerous forms. To name a few  - effort level on the field, execution of play calls, a general level of confusion among the players, lack of preparation, and the list goes on... I believe that a lack of discipline showed up on game days and hurt the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I disagree completely with Schopp. 

1) neither of Rex’s teams were better than last year’s Bills IMO. His best year was 8-8. Last year the Bills went 9-7 and made the playoffs for the first time in almost 2 decades, and they had a lot less raw talent than either of Rex’s teams did. 

2) his offense was, for the most part, better than his defense during his time in Buffalo. The 2015 offense was #7 in scoring, and iirc I believe the 2016 offense was also top 10. How many times did we fans say “if only we had our 2014 defense with this 2015/16 offense...” ? If anything, I feel his defense held him back in his time here. 

3) discipline definitely held the Bills back.

They were one of the most penalized teams in the NFL (if not the most penalized). Penalties cost them wins in some games. 

I feel that The lack of discipline trickled throughout the entire team and showed in numerous forms. To name a few  - effort level on the field, execution of play calls, a general level of confusion among the players, lack of preparation, and the list goes on... I believe that a lack of discipline showed up on game days and hurt the Bills. 

also McDermott is building a culture of players who Live football and are Killers.

But Schopp is too smart to think these things are important. He only cares about stats and NEVER running the ball, which he has stated many times and he ignores when running wins in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Mike you're an idiot.

it was his defense that was constantly confused and out of position. Those offenses did quite well actually.

I agree that Rex's team(s) had better talent than the current team, however Rex couldn't do better than 8-8 in his 2 years here. McDermott got to 9-7 last year with half the talent Rex had. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

a little more info would be useful, like how would this person know. Name doesn't mean much to me as i wouldn't remember it anyway.

Can't give that up. He's 100% inside realiable and you'd know their name.  Just trust me on this one. ?

• Like (+1) 1