Reggie Bush on his time with the Bills: Rex’s staff lacked discipline

YoloinOhio

53 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Rex just didn't want to work - he convinced the Pegulas to let him hire the biggest coaching staff in the league so that he wouldn't have to do the grinding himself.  Should've been obvious at that point.

Come on - it’s not like he took time off in the middle of a game week to take several staff members to Cleveland for a World Series game or anything. 

I mean his priorities have always been more about Rex, but his less than 2 years here was a total joke.  He was always a bad coach that lacks discipline and details and it gets magnified as a HC where it is all about the details.

The circus he ran could be easily seen by the players talk after games, about being out of position and trying to run things they had never done.  This Reggie Bush comment just reinforces what was obvious to all of us looking in from the outside - Rex was a joke!

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I still think Rex should go the Wade Phillips route...

Be a great DC on teams that win and maybe win a Super Bowl ring or two.

I still think he is a great defensive coach. He needs someone else to run the team.

There were some games when he was here that his defense looked totally different... Like Rex actually worked that week.

That's what ticked me off most

So lazy and undisciplined can work on just one side of the ball? 

When will the holdouts come around to the realization wrecks was great at capitalizing on nepotism.  That was his legendary skill. 

If you read Collision Low Crossers which covers a season with the Jets (2011), it's painfully obvious that Rex is not the organized CEO that most teams need. And this is from an author who obviously found Ryan to be immensely likeable.

Rex could have been successful if he had these four things.

1. The physical energy he had in his 40s

2. The number of practices that NFL teams used to have.

3. A veteran core who understood his system and could communicate it.

4. A solid OC (this could have been Roman - he got thrown under the bus in the mess of 2016).

I don't think the Pegulas understood the NFL enough at the time of the hire, and obviously it cost the team several years.

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

So lazy and undisciplined can work on just one side of the ball? 

When will the holdouts come around to the realization wrecks was great at capitalizing on nepotism.  That was his legendary skill. 

I couldn’t agree more! I never could stand the old man and then that loser of a twin. I thought Rex could be different but I’m totally remorseful for being so naive about this clown and that is exactly what he is, a big, loudmouth circus clown! Good riddance!

That's why Rex was a great DC but poor HC

He needs a good HC setting the tone and schedule and he can just focus on defense. 

He also needs a top safety and a top MLB because his scheme is insanely complicated.

Very complicated defense+ young players+ a lazy coach not into teaching them= total mess

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

Yeah, I felt the same way reading this. Reggie really isn’t in position to point fingers, he should have declined comment. 

How are the two connected?  Rex was an unorganized head coach and Bush played poorly for the Bills.  Both are true.

I was against hiring that Buffoon from day one.

I tried to cancel my seasons the day they hired him but my account rep said they are yours.

So I cancelled them the next year  :(

Edited by JMF2006
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Yeah, there really should have been more accountability.

For starters, they should have released anyone on the team with NEGATIVE yardage on the SEASON.

Reggie got paid $1 Million to go BACKWARDS 3 yards!

$333,333 for each -1 yard.

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Yeah, I felt the same way reading this. Reggie really isn’t in position to point fingers, he should have declined comment. 

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Hey Reggie - RB stands for "Running Back," not "Run Backwards."

59 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I really don’t like reading stories like this.  I’m not defending Rex in the slighest way but maybe Reggie should look himself in the mirror

This is a very strange point to make.

Bush was productive everywhere else he went (he stopped for a cup of coffee in SF).  The Bills ran him 12 (twelve) times all season.

And why would this matter anyway?  Anyone on that team could make a simple observation. 

If you "don't like reading stories like this"...close your eyes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Yeah, there really should have been more accountability.

For starters, they should have released anyone on the team with NEGATIVE yardage on the SEASON.

Reggie got paid $1 Million to go BACKWARDS 3 yards!

$333,333 for each -1 yard.

To be fair - the -8 yard carry (that got him to -3 on the year) in the miami game was a really really stupid playcall.  Tyrod was playing lights out and we run a bad gimmick play on 2nd and 12... ended up missing the field goal and losing the game.

Overall Lynn has done some good things with LAC, but that was a moment where i just couldn't believe the call.  If you want to run it again, run it... but i really think we should pass to ya know... try and win?

2 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

It’s funny how we talk about grown ass men that are millionaires in need discipline. First of all this is your profession. Whom ever the coach is shouldn’t have to have disciplinary orders. It’s a shame how babied sports stars are.

It's the same in every profession though.  If your boss lets you get away with being late, being on your phone... etc.  Others notice - they start coming in late, they start playing on their phone.

Dareus doesn't practice hard, so i won't either.  Mario just plays pool instead of watching film, so i'll play pool instead of watching film. etc.

It's on the HC to preach that the leaders of the team hold the others accountable.  Rex was a walk in at 9, leave at 5 guy.  So a lot of the players assumed that similar attitude.

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I held a lot of hope in Rex.  I thought he was sincere in wanting to turn Buffalo around.  That was misguided and stupid on my part. 

I still might be naive but I think he was sincere in wanting Buffalo to do well.  He just wasn’t gonna put in the time, effort, and hard work necessary 

40 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I held a lot of hope in Rex.  I thought he was sincere in wanting to turn Buffalo around.  That was misguided and stupid on my part. 

He probably was sincere and believed everything he was saying. Unfortunately, he was not willing to put the work in necessary to make that happen.