Are you an introvert or extrovert?

Another Fan

I’m definitely more an introvert.  I like time to myself and view social stuff as things I have to plow my way through.  I can be nervous being around people I even know well.  

If if you met me irl there’s a good chance you’d think I’m quiet.  

Of course that’s just me

extrovert with a small group of friends.

introvert with a large group of friends.  I do get a little uncomfortable with larger groups of people.  

Seinfield is the perfect amount of friends that I feel most comfortable in.  

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Introvert, alone time recharges me

You would open up if you felt it was worthwhile or had to.

I got divorced 3 months ago.  I actually love being alone right now.  Feels really good.  I'll eventually date again but not in any rush....I like the peace.

I had a friend go through a divorce just 2 weeks ago and started dating even before it was official.  He just can't be alone, it kills him.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel like "introvert" has been a trendy phrase lately. A lot of people using it to describe themselves shouldn't be.

I'm not accusing the OP of this. It's just something I've noticed.

2 of the more outspoken people I know have called themselves introverts and I just roll my eyes.

Like how calling yourself a nerd became trendy.

• Like (+1) 1

There is a general consensus that introvert/extrovert are not black & white. Rather, there is an ambivert. For example, someone who behaves as an extrovert in social situations but an introvert otherwise. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/travisbradberry/2016/04/26/9-signs-that-youre-an-ambivert/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/cutting-edge-leadership/201711/are-you-extravert-introvert-or-ambivert%3famp

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I got divorced 3 months ago.  I actually love being alone right now.  Feels really good.  I'll eventually date again but not in any rush....I like the peace.

I had a friend go through a divorce just 2 weeks ago and started dating even before it was official.  He just can't be alone, it kills him.

I like my alone time too but I started dating five months before my divorce was final.  

you finally get home on a Friday after a horrible week of work and you are exhausted.

your phone is buzzing, your friend is calling in a chit and you are going to have to fill in for a cancellation at his dinner party in one hour, you can't back out of it

you:

1)  Think "this is great", a chance to get over the pain by talking and chatting with small talk galore, I love meeting new people!!

or

2)  you stare at your straight razor and wonder what the minimal cut you can do to yourself to get admitted to emerg so you have an excuse to get out of this hell.

38 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I feel like "introvert" has been a trendy phrase lately. A lot of people using it to describe themselves shouldn't be.

I'm not accusing the OP of this. It's just something I've noticed.

2 of the more outspoken people I know have called themselves introverts and I just roll my eyes.

Like how calling yourself a nerd became trendy.

Introvert means given your wishes you would like to recharge the batteries on your own.

Introverts can yak it up when they are up to it.

Edited by row_33

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I like my alone time too but I started dating five months before my divorce was final.  

Damn....how long was your divorce?  Mine was literally 28 days and we were split.

I recently actually started thinking about dating again so I think I'm somewhat close.  I'll probably start "hunting" and being more social when I'm out in the next 2-3 months.  

I've never online dated so I'm not sure if I'm going to start.

7 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

There is a general consensus that introvert/extrovert are not black & white. Rather, there is an ambivert. For example, someone who behaves as an extrovert in social situations but an introvert otherwise. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/travisbradberry/2016/04/26/9-signs-that-youre-an-ambivert/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/cutting-edge-leadership/201711/are-you-extravert-introvert-or-ambivert%3famp

Being social in social situations while also being able to enjoy alone time used to just be called normal.

• Like (+1) 1

Generally speaking, the smaller the crowd, the more extroverted I am.  I'm okay in larger crowds, as long as I know at least a few people.  Large crowds where I don't know anyone - I get out of that situation as quickly as possible.

42 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Fully understand where you are coming from.  You'll find the time / place / person.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

Generally speaking, the smaller the crowd, the more extroverted I am.  I'm okay in larger crowds, as long as I know at least a few people.  Large crowds where I don't know anyone - I get out of that situation as quickly as possible.

You sound exactly like me.  In large crowds, I usually stay by at least a few people I know really well.  I'm not a mingler all across the area.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You sound exactly like me.  In large crowds, I usually stay by at least a few people I know really well.  I'm not a mingler all across the area.

Me, neither.  I went to a wedding last fall without a date.  Only people I knew were the bride and her family ... so they were all in the wedding party.  I was seated at the reception with a bunch of people I didn't know - all about 20 years younger than me.  I left about 10 minutes after I ate.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Over the years we’ve attended countless (mostly work related) events. I generally sit at my table of eight and have a nice conversation with the folks around me, while my wife is out working the rest of the room and meeting the other 400 people. She often doesn’t return until after dessert is served, so I’m basically alone and need to make friends with the people next to me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Me, neither.  I went to a wedding last fall without a date.  Only people I knew were the bride and her family ... so they were all in the wedding party.  I was seated at the reception with a bunch of people I didn't know - all about 20 years younger than me.  I left about 10 minutes after I ate.

We have a bunch of Public Accountants that come over all the time to our work...it's usually people in the mid 20's.  I make chit chat with almost anyone at work but I usually never do with them.  Not that I dislike them, I just think of myself as the old guy that doesn't have anything in common with them so the conversation would be awkward.  

when i'm out i typically prefer to be left alone, but for the love of god, i'm the guy that every weirdo wants to get into a conversation with.  if i go away for continuing education, i love to sit and the bar and eat my myself.  sure enough i get into long, random conversations with other customers or bartenders.  last week at the gym a guy kept showing me pictures on his phone because i look like on of his friends.  do this guy think i really give a *****?

I prefer to stay home and not socialize!!!!?

Man, no one wants to claim they are an extrovert? @Augie is full of poop, he is the most extroverted person on this board. I am still the guy who sits at the bar without my cell phone out if I am by myself cause i want to start a conversation with the person next to me. 

Afetr the Sabres-Hurricanes game,  had no issue going into the nearby bar and meeting new folks/Sabre fans..and I was by myself that night. Ended up meeting the sister of a dude i went to high school with in the Falls!

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Me, neither.  I went to a wedding last fall without a date. 

to absolutely no one's surprise!?

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Introvert means given your wishes you would like to recharge the batteries on your own.

Introverts can yak it up when they are up to it.

No. That's way too basic, my dude.

You're describing most people. Most people prefer to "recharge their batteries" on their own.

Introverts prefer to be by themselves or with only close friends pretty much always. Even when fully "charged."

But, it's more of a mental tendency than a social tendency. Just inwardly focused instead of outwardly. Not talking is a product of that, because there's no need to talk. The introvert is simply working it out by themselves, in their mind. Not seeking other's opinion or needing any sound board.