Saquon Barkley wins Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year

YoloinOhio

39 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wow, really?  Even if he only plays 10 years, he would be top 25 all time in yards and top 20 in passing TDs.  Who would be disappointed by that?

That's pretty average these days.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Being in the top 20-25 is pretty average? 

Ok

Yep. QB's are producing more and more. And besides, half the QB's in the league are putting up big stats now too, so Mayfield would not be top 25 all time by the time he retires.

His rookie season production was not enough for sustained success, or enough for them to get to the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yep. QB's are producing more and more. And besides, half the QB's in the league are putting up big stats now too, so Mayfield would not be top 25 all time by the time he retires.

His rookie season production was not enough for sustained success, or enough for them to get to the playoffs.

I get your point, but I think you're underselling his statistics a bit. He played 13.5 games so he probably would have had about 4300 yards and 32 TD's over a full season. There are vets like Ryan, Stafford etc. who will be in the top 25 due to the era they play in. You also have young players like Goff and Mahomes who will shatter a lot of records if they sustain their pace. That said, Mayfield's rookie stats would hold up pretty well over the course of 10+ years. You would certainly expect improvement, and since this is about 2018, I'd give the nod to Barkley. He was the second best RB and Baker was not even close to the 2nd best QB. Still go with Barkley even if you give the benefit of the doubt to the QB.

8 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Dumb question.

Is there a defensive ROY?

Yes - so Pepsi sponsors the overall ROY award which encompasses both Offense and Defense. The Associated Press votes on a separate OROY and DROY. They will be awarded Sat. Night at the NFL Honors Ceremony 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I get your point, but I think you're underselling his statistics a bit. He played 13.5 games so he probably would have had about 4300 yards and 32 TD's over a full season. There are vets like Ryan, Stafford etc. who will be in the top 25 due to the era they play in. You also have young players like Goff and Mahomes who will shatter a lot of records if they sustain their pace. That said, Mayfield's rookie stats would hold up pretty well over the course of 10+ years. You would certainly expect improvement, and since this is about 2018, I'd give the nod to Barkley. He was the second best RB and Baker was not even close to the 2nd best QB. Still go with Barkley even if you give the benefit of the doubt to the QB.

I'm not interested in projecting his stats for the games he didn't play. If he played those games it would have been in the beginning of the season and likely would have been his worst games. Perhaps those games would have hurt his overall stats instead of helping them. Never know.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes - so Pepsi sponsors the overall ROY award which encompasses both Offense and Defense. The Associated Press votes on a separate OROY and DROY. They will be awarded Sat. Night at the NFL Honors Ceremony 

Thank you!

Best wishes to your #99 as well as my #55.

12 hours ago, MJS said:

The top 25 includes the current QBs....

Wow a rookie QB on a team with a single win in the past 2 seasons before he got there couldn’t,  despite a record tying 27 TDS (in 12 starts) “get them to the playoffs”??

Hot take tight there