What Are You Top 5 Super Bowls

corta765

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Good list. Honestly, the Baltimore/SF game was a freaking phenomenal game too. 

I think the BAL/SF game gets kind of forgotten about because neither team made it back to the SB and kinda leveled off afterward. It was a great game just teams with more name brand tend to get higher coverage IMO

17 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Come on - 1968 and 1969, the Jets and Chiefs defeat the NFL; number one and number two!!! If you only knew!

...LOL...my cousin was actually dating Jim O'Brien and he gave her the ball from his game winning FG as the Colts beat the Cowgirls 16-13 in 1971.....

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

1.Packers vs Broncos  1997

2.Redskins vs Dolphins 1982

3. Giants vs Pats 2007

4. 49ers vs Bengals 1988

5. Rams vs Titans 1999

No way - come on - quit ignoring real history; Jets and Chiefs!

• Like (+1) 1

XXIII - 49ers 20 - Bengals 16 - Joe Montana calmly leads his team down the field for the game winning score in the last minute of the game. 

XXXII - Broncos 31 - Packers 24 - Elway's first and was good to see in a way after his previous failures. 

XLII - Giants 17 - Pats 14 - To see the Pats cruise through, as arrogant as any team could be leading up to that game, and then lose that game was one of the greatest moments ever. 

XLVI - Giants 21 - Pats 17 - Eli sticks a dagger in the hearts of Pats players and fans once again.

LII - Eagles 41 - Pats 33 - The NFC East strikes again and Brady slumps his head on the bench in defeat. Thank you Nick Foles and Brandon Graham. 

I've been to 6 Super Bowls, the Bills 4 in the 90's, XLVIII and 50.  It's much better being there than watching on TV and I can't pick one to exclude.  If I had to pick my favorite it was XXV because it was my 1st, the Bills were in it until the end and I was so excited to see the Bills in the Super Bowl. They all have high points: XXVI-Minnesota was amazing.  They had greeters at the airport and continuous bus service from the motels to downtown Minneapolis & St. Paul.  St Paul had the ice palace & lots of good stuff to do.  Minneapolis also had the stadium opened the day before so we could see the place & get all our Super Bowl souvenirs the day before the game.  XXVII was in Pasedena.  We stayed in Anaheim where we were able to get a 2 person/2 bed room for around $40/night which we split to $20 each per night, add in the cheap flights to LA, LA beaches, Disneyland etc & it was a great 3 days.  That Super Bowl  came in the cheapest, around $750 for everything because my friend Petrino won the Bills lottery and we got the tickets at face value.  Atlanta was probably the least interesting of the Bills 4 Super Bowl cities.  We stayed in a pretty run down motel in Marietta.  When we lost I kinda knew the run was over.  It was another 20 years before I'd attend another Super Bowl.  I just couldn't resist going to a Super Bowl that I could drive down to in less than 2.5 hours, waking up in my own house the morning of the game.  An added bonus was that since it was in a cold weather city, the corporate people didn't want to sit outside which drove the ticket prices on the secondary market to the lowest prices in years.  As far as the game itself, it was a blowout that I loved seeing.  I had picked the Seahawks to win it all in a playoff pool that I entered for $10 and I would win $300 if Seattle won.  So with each score I was loving it, cheering on the Seahawks with the Seattle fans near me.  My last Super Bowl, 50 was special because I went with some family members, the only one I had family with me at the game.  Most of my relatives live in California's Bay area so I committed to going years before the game was played.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, corta765 said:

With the Super Bowl coming up figured I would post a fun thread on your favorite SB's you've watched in your lifetime. This is not what are the best SB's ever even if you haven't seen them because if that was the case SB 23 and SB 13 would be on there for me. This is not who I was happiest winning because in three of my top five I hated the winner rather best game/entertaining.

Because I am 30 the first SB I remember watching in any form was the 49ers vs Chargers (probably for the best I don't remember the Bills losing) so this is my rankings:

1. SB 42 Giants over Patriots- I was at the Patriots beat down of the Bills 56-10 which I have said all fans should be entitled to therapy for paid by the Bills. That Patriots team seemed unbeatable... until it wasn't. The longer you watched and the longer the Giants hung in there you had this feeling like just maybe they can knock out the bad witch. And boy did they ever knock that witch out thanks again David Tyree.

2. SB 43 Steelers over Cardinals- The Cardinals were the ultimate underdogs, a franchise forever as crappy as the Lions yet here came a likeable team led by Warner and Fitz. The game was amazing from start to finish and even though the Steelers sadly won, for a brief time you actually wondered if the Cards would pull it out.

3. SB 32 Broncos def Packers- The AFC had lost 13 straight SBs and by this point everyone wanted Elway to get that ring which almost felt like he was winning it for Kelly and Marino too. The game itself was a thriller (finally) after years of duds since SB 25. Plenty of big moments throughout highlighted by Elway's helicopter jump. The ending had fantastic drama and back at a time when AFC vs NFC seemed to matter far more it was nice to see the AFC finally break its drought.

4. SB 49 Patriots over Seahawks- For the record I drove home in snow storm having to angrily contemplate why in the heck Carrol didn't run Lynch. That said it was an incredible game between the two best teams in the NFL and if Brady was to get his 4th ring at least it was against top competition.

5. SB 38 Patriots over Panthers- This Superbowl seems to be forgotten a lot probably because of a "wardrobe malfunction" by Janet Jackson, but it was one of the wildest second halves in SB history. The Panthers were a plucky upstart led by a likable QB in Jake Delhomme and coach in John Fox that were easy to pull for. This should've been the first SB to go to OT, but Carolina's John Karney gave the Patriots an easy starting point at the 40 and the rest was Brady being Brady.

Thats a solid list. I am 31 and agree that superbowl 42 was the best superbowl Ive watched in my lifetime. I too was at that 56-10 beatdown, watching tom brady march down the field and throw a TD to moss in the 4th quarter really fueled my hatred of the patriots that particular year. People forget that the Ravens, who were having a down year, came out and should have ended the patriots perfect season but a series of questionable personal foul penalties at the end of the game ruined everything.

I would say number 2 for me is Superbowl 36 Patriots def Rams- greatest show on turf loses to one of the biggest underdogs in superbowl history. Launches patriots dynasty

I am jealous of patriots fans not only because they have won so many superbowls, but because they have also won and lost some of the greatest superbowls ever played.  It must be nice to experience such things on a repeated basis.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

Super 3:  Jets 16 - 7 over Baltimore.  Younger posters can't appreciate how intense the old NFL/AFL rivalry was.  It was pure hatred and seeing Joe Willie knock the arrogant NFL on it's ass for the first time was priceless.

Super Bowl 4:  KC 23 - 7 over the Vikings.  Like I said there was pure hatred between the NFL & AFL and by the time this game rolled around the arrogant NFL panty waists were saying the Jets win was a one off fluke.  Well KC shoved that notion right down the throat of the NFL.  After that the merger happened and football hasn't been as fun since.

Super Bowl 25:  Giants 20 - 19 over the Bills.  Do people remember how exciting it was leading up to the SB that year?  We were in the big game!   I remember heading out to the Allen Street bars that Saturday night and the atmosphere in the city was ELECTRIC.  Yes it was a devastating loss and people blame Norwood but IMO the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of the Bills coaches.  Had they given Thurman the ball 25 times he would have been MVP and the Bills would have won that game by 17 points.

Super Bowl 28:  Dallas 30 - 13 over the Bills.  For one glorious half it looked like we might not only get that monkey off our backs but then throw it to the ground and stomp it dead.  But it wasn't to be.  Instead of ending one of pro footballs most amazing runs with a SB win the Bills crawled back to Buffalo in ignominy.  Today folks will point to Thurman's fumble as the pivotal moment when we lost that game but not me.  I place the blame on Marv Levy's ultra conservative play-calling towards the end of the 1st half with the Bills in the Cowboys red zone leading 10 - 6.  We should have been throwing passes into the end zone and trying to go up 17 - 6.  What the hell did we have to lose?  Instead Marv played it safe and IMO lost us the momentum in that game. 

Always I've defended SB XXIII as the best played overall,  although to the actual standards is a boring one, from start to end very solid game from both teams,

and also from those glorious days that the refs(and the league) didn't screw the game.

My other tops are XXXII, ILIII.

XXV is totally apart because im biased and for the poor game for the BILLS defense

Giants over Pats with the helmet catch was the best ever, in my book.

Any game with the Pats winning is automatically disqualified.

Superbowl 25 was before my time, but as a Bills fan I know all about it and can see why it is high up there in most rankings as best Superbowls ever. With the Bills losing it stings, though, so I can't say it's the best.

It ain't a great SB if the wrong team won, so obviously any games were the Pats*, Steelers or Cowboys won don't qualify:

#1 Giants/Pats I   -- literally the second most excited I've ever been watching sports (after 1986 game 6)

#2 Giants/Pats II  -- almost as good as the first time

#3 Seahawks/Pats -- ***** you Pete Carroll

#4 Falcons/Pats -- ***** you Dan Quinn

#3 Broncos/GB  -- I was completely pulling for Elway, jumped out of my chair on that helicopter run

#4 SF/Cincy II -- Montana with the all-time SB drive

#5 Broncos/Panthers -- Manning deserving of #2;  Newton deserving of his pouty, whiny B word press conference

• Like (+1) 1

I grew up as a big Tom Landry era Cowboys fan in Dallas.  The top 2 are his wins.

I. VI 24-3 win over the Fish. My favorite play of the game was Bob Lilly sacking Griese. The team that couldn't win the big one did.

2. XII - Cowboys demolish Broncos 27-10.  Orange Crush was crushed.

3. XL - I played on the Seahawks Drumline and we got to go. Even though we choked and it was as a screw job by the refs, it was a fun trip.

4. - First Giants win over Patsies**

5 - 85 Bears

Edited by reddogblitz

11 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Super 3:  Jets 16 - 7 over Baltimore.  Younger posters can't appreciate how intense the old NFL/AFL rivalry was.  It was pure hatred and seeing Joe Willie knock the arrogant NFL on it's ass for the first time was priceless.

Super Bowl 4:  KC 23 - 7 over the Vikings.  Like I said there was pure hatred between the NFL & AFL and by the time this game rolled around the arrogant NFL panty waists were saying the Jets win was a one off fluke.  Well KC shoved that notion right down the throat of the NFL.  After that the merger happened and football hasn't been as fun since.

Super Bowl 25:  Giants 20 - 19 over the Bills.  Do people remember how exciting it was leading up to the SB that year?  We were in the big game!   I remember heading out to the Allen Street bars that Saturday night and the atmosphere in the city was ELECTRIC.  Yes it was a devastating loss and people blame Norwood but IMO the blame rests squarely on the shoulders of the Bills coaches.  Had they given Thurman the ball 25 times he would have been MVP and the Bills would have won that game by 17 points.

Super Bowl 28:  Dallas 30 - 13 over the Bills.  For one glorious half it looked like we might not only get that monkey off our backs but then throw it to the ground and stomp it dead.  But it wasn't to be.  Instead of ending one of pro footballs most amazing runs with a SB win the Bills crawled back to Buffalo in ignominy.  Today folks will point to Thurman's fumble as the pivotal moment when we lost that game but not me.  I place the blame on Marv Levy's ultra conservative play-calling towards the end of the 1st half with the Bills in the Cowboys red zone leading 10 - 6.  We should have been throwing passes into the end zone and trying to go up 17 - 6.  What the hell did we have to lose?  Instead Marv played it safe and IMO lost us the momentum in that game. 

It's funny because as a kid I remember the AFC vs NFC thing being huge part of why Broncos win over Packers was awesome for me. I think it was in the mid 2000s when it seemed to finally die down a lot and I do miss it.

SB25 my Dad has said the same that we lost because we didn't run the ball, the defense missed tackles, and we had another play we could've run with 8 seconds to go to get the ball a little further for Norwood. Never heard him blame him for the miss.

SB28 Haha again my dad said literally what you did that we were too conservative and Marv really was to blame. In his eyes the moment Thurman fumbled Marv should've called the team together and done something so crazy like mooning them or something to shake them back because you could tell their hearts felt here we go again and needed something to ground them.

I wish I was old enough to remember those SB days because if the one week period when we broke the drought to the Jags game was any marker for what it was like that had to have been other worldly.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, corta765 said:

It's funny because as a kid I remember the AFC vs NFC thing being huge part of why Broncos win over Packers was awesome for me. I think it was in the mid 2000s when it seemed to finally die down a lot and I do miss it.

SB25 my Dad has said the same that we lost because we didn't run the ball, the defense missed tackles, and we had another play we could've run with 8 seconds to go to get the ball a little further for Norwood. Never heard him blame him for the miss.

SB28 Haha again my dad said literally what you did that we were too conservative and Marv really was to blame. In his eyes the moment Thurman fumbled Marv should've called the team together and done something so crazy like mooning them or something to shake them back because you could tell their hearts felt here we go again and needed something to ground them.

I wish I was old enough to remember those SB days because if the one week period when we broke the drought to the Jags game was any marker for what it was like that had to have been other worldly.

It's obvious that great minds think alike!