Would/could the Bills go for another Houston former number one overall pick in FA?

njbuff

I put pass rush as big a need as Oline and WR.  If we could sign a premium pass rusher with FA- we can devote bulk of picks to Oline, TE, RB, and WR.  So sign me up for Lawrence or Clowney or whomever can bring the heat

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'd be down to make a move like this had it not been for our signing of Trent Murphy. We already have an underperforming high priced DE on our team. I didnt like that pick up when we made it & today I hate it even more. But because of that move it pretty much makes potential signings of Clowney or Lawrence impossible from a salary cap standpoint. Sure technically you may be able to do it, but investing that much more money into that one area isn't necessarily wise imo.

If only we could go back & stop that from happening haha. Close to $9 million for a guy who plays 40% of the snaps, and thats when he's healthy enuff to be on the field.

The way i see it, the only thing we can do is hope this year he turns it around & we draft another edge rusher who can compete for starting time this year

I don't know much about Lawrence, but I would be opposed to signing Clowney.  Despite his immense measurables and talent, he has some injury history.  Also, he was known for taking some games off during his final year at S. Carolina.  When healthy, he has played well for the Texans, but not, in my opinion well enough to command the type of salary he is likely to see and get from someone ($20 M per year or thereabouts).  I could see us having buyer's remorse down the road, and being saddled with the huge contract, as we were with Mario Williams and Marcel Dareus.  He's just not quite enough of a sure thing for that kind of mega-deal.  As mentioned above, he doesn't seem to fit the Beane model.

27 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....probably dead wrong, but don't see that type of money in McBeane's "deck of cards" for ONE player......

Yeah, I'm of a similar mind but I'm not saying that to make an argument either way, just noting it. Then again, we paid star like 11M to clog up the middle. 

10 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Yeah, I'm of a similar mind but I'm not saying that to make an argument either way, just noting it. Then again, we paid star like 11M to clog up the middle. 

...is it fair to say he is quietly earning his keep?....he'll never be on the glowing "Monday Morning Stat Roster".....he is a trench grunt...what would be your expectations?....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...is it fair to say he is quietly earning his keep?....he'll never be on the glowing "Monday Morning Stat Roster".....he is a trench grunt...what would be your expectations?....

Not at all 11mil to play less then 40% of the snaps. Run stuffer DTs shouldnt get paid much. We made huge mistake with this signing.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I think he's doing his job. I just think we could/should have paid less. 

• Like (+1) 1

With team at the top of the draft with money they may prefer to go edge rusher in the draft.  Buffalo adding a pass rusher would not be a negative.  There are about 4 possible FA that could be targeted, but will cost alot.

He's been a disappointment.  He was the top rated high school player when he signed at South Carolina.  He played great, blew up a guy in a bowl game.  But he's never dominated at Houston.  He had 9 sacks last year, career high is 9.5.  He didn't make first or second team All Pro.  Not worth the money you guys mentioned.  I'd get a tackle and a center and more for the same money.  

5 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Oh my god please no to Clowney, 1) he will cost waaay too much and 2) he and Hughes on the same line would be a very bad combination, both have a hair trigger on off sides and jumping the gun

I agree completely with 1- since it will be at least a 6year contract most likely. Second one i could deal with if first one would not be so high.