Sean Payton the legend

CommonCents

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

I don’t like him or Brees. It’s a legendary troll job and he is one of the few guys that won’t back down to the league. I respect that. 

What do you have against Brees?

1 hour ago, metzelaars_lives said:

You realize, of course, that if the Saints just ran the ball three times, they could've kicked a FG with 15 like seconds left and the Rams would've had no timeouts remaining, right?

But he was being aggressive and kept doing what got them there so the football gods are happy.

Sometimes common sense and the percentages are the better what to go.

2 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

You realize, of course, that if the Saints just ran the ball three times, they could've kicked a FG with 15 like seconds left and the Rams would've had no timeouts remaining, right?

Yup.  The incompletion on first down was ridiculous. 

Yup, I'll say it

Brees is overrated

You hear all this MVP talk and how he hasn't thrown a pick in 5 years and completes 90% of his passes then his offense doesn't do squat and he tosses up a gift of a puck in OT and spends weeks whining that the Rams db didn't turn around and intercept his other softball for a pick 6 to end the game in regulation

Edited by TheFunPolice

I like Brees, most of the Saints players, and their fans are great. Never liked Payton, even before Bountygate. He comes off like that sour-faced jerk at work found in every office. His Lyvia Soprano-esq "lord take me now" martyrdom has only gotten more nauseating since the NFC Championship game. I'd sooner watch a Jeff Fisher team play against a team with a cloned Jeff Fisher as their coach than hear more musings from Sean on this matter.

2 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Precisely the reason you run the ball in the red zone and play the clock. 

That non-call was egregious, but that’s not why they lost the game. There was zero reason to pass the ball even one time, let alone three. 

except that they would have won. I agree it wasn’t a good strategy, but the literal only reason they lost is because of the no-call. They would have either gotten first and goal, or a touchdown if the play had happened as it is supposed to.

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

nicest fans i've ever come across at games. you couldn't be more wrong

My brother lives in Covington, is a transplant fan down there, has Saints season tickets through his work.

Refuses to go anymore because of the Aholes and he used to live in Philly if that says anything.  He says if you wear Saints gear you're fine, if you happen to be there as a fan for another team expect to get pelted win or lose.   Did say the family section there is fine but his experience has been vastly different than yours.

I wasn't surprised at all that they sued the league and took out billboards in Atlanta because of a bad call.   

Peyton is a great coach, but can you imagine a Belichick team responding to a call like that? (I know, I know, it would never happen.) His body language appeared to set the tone for the entire team. The Saints got screwed, but it wasn't the last play of the game. They had their chances to overcome it and failed.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

They had plenty of chances to win and Falconed it up

haha that's perfect.   I call it 'Doin the Shanahan'

It used to be called the Pete Carroll Superbowl Giveaway until Shanny decided to trump stinky Pete.   I still feel so sorry for Arthur Blank he's such a nice guy, got to meet him once. 

He was standing there on the sidelines near the end of the game and the Falcs had 1st down on the NE 21 late in the game about to go up two scores and win the trophy, Freeman is foaming at the mouth (he ripped off a huge run on that final drive) the Pats are on their heels and dopey Shanahan decides to call a bunch of 7 step drops. 

You obviously know the rest.   Sickening.  

5 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

There would have been 50 seconds left not 15. Last time the teams played the Rams went down the field before half in 23 seconds and kicked a FG. 

I thought the play action on 1st down was the right play. Drew didn't make the throw and the pass on 3rd down should have been a penalty. 

Payton won his Superbowl going for the throat. It is who he is as a coach. I have no problems the way he called the series. 

Where I would criticise him is his reaction to the no call was to basically say "well that has cost us the game" when there was still defense and OT to play. I think that may have transmitted to his team. 

17 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Peyton is a great coach, but can you imagine a Belichick team responding to a call like that? (I know, I know, it would never happen.) His body language appeared to set the tone for the entire team. The Saints got screwed, but it wasn't the last play of the game. They had their chances to overcome it and failed.

Totally agree with this. That much more than throwing on that fateful series is where he made a mistake. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Yup, I'll say it

Brees is overrated

You hear all this MVP talk and how he hasn't thrown a pick in 5 years and completes 90% of his passes then his offense doesn't do squat and he tosses up a gift of a puck in OT and spends weeks whining that the Rams db didn't turn around and intercept his other softball for a pick 6 to end the game in regulation

Dude got hit as the ball came out lol theres no way you believe what you wrote

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

except that they would have won. I agree it wasn’t a good strategy, but the literal only reason they lost is because of the no-call. They would have either gotten first and goal, or a touchdown if the play had happened as it is supposed to.

Correct. 

There is not a fan base in the world that is over this missed call at this time.   Not one. It was epically bad, historically bad, almost inconceivably bad and damn near "this game has to be fixed, right?" bad.

All the rest is just chit chat distracting from all that.