Sean Payton the legend

CommonCents

On 1/30/2019 at 12:07 PM, dave mcbride said:

Not true. When the Saints got a first down at the 13, the Rams had two TOs and there was 1:58 left on the clock. Assuming 2 seven-second plays, then running down the clock to the end, and the then the 4 seconds it takes to kick a FG, the Rams would have gotten the ball with roughly 1:00 left. 

You are right, I was wrong.  Good call.  Just went back and re-watched.  Didn't realize there was that much time left when Ginn caught the ball on the 13.

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/30/2019 at 12:11 PM, metzelaars_lives said:

You realize, of course, that if the Saints just ran the ball three times, they could've kicked a FG with 15 like seconds left and the Rams would've had no timeouts remaining, right?

Yes it was absolutely egregious what he did, i can only assume he has gotten a pass on that because the no call PI overshadows everything. It was one of the biggest coaching blunders of all time. Only thing i disagree i thin the Rams would have had more like 50 seconds left depending upon what play the Saints ran (not passed) and how quickly the refs lined them up.

They were at the two minute warning.  Rams had two timeouts.  The Saints gave them the ball back running off a total of 19 seconds and the Rams still had a timeout left.  And on fourth down they could have take a delay of game as 5 yards further back from such a short FG is meaningless in the NFL.

He threw on first and third down, almost totally inexcusable.

Recall when the Bills finally beat the Pats at home and Fred Jackson had the smarts & the balls to stop at the one instead of scoring a TD and giving the Pats the ball back.  That kind of logic escapes coaches like Peyton and Rex Ryan. 

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We are not over the music city screwjob. We are the last fanbase in a position to be giving "get over it" advice. 

That was worse if you believe the play was illegal(I think it was the right call). It was the last play of the game. The Saints had plenty of chances to overcome the zebras gaffe.

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yes it was absolutely egregious what he did, i can only assume he has gotten a pass on that because the no call PI overshadows everything. It was one of the biggest coaching blunders of all time. 

They were at the two minute warning.  Rams had two timeouts.  The Saints gave them the ball back running off a total of 19 seconds and the Rams stil had a timeout left.

Recall when the Bills finally beat the Pats at home and Fred Jackson had the smarts & the balls to stop at the one instead of scoring a TD and giving the Pats the ball back.  That kind of logic escapes coaches like Peyton and Rex Ryan. 

Not so sure Freddy did it on purpose, but it was awesome. I was sweating bullets during that review. We all know damn well what would have happened if we gave Brady the ball back. Probably would have scored and gone for two just to make it that much more crushing.

8 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yes it was absolutely egregious what he did, i can only assume he has gotten a pass on that because the no call PI overshadows everything. It was one of the biggest coaching blunders of all time. Only thing i disagree i thin the Rams would have had more like 50 seconds left depending upon what play the Saints ran (not passed) and how quickly the refs lined them up.

They were at the two minute warning.  Rams had two timeouts.  The Saints gave them the ball back running off a total of 19 seconds and the Rams still had a timeout left.  And on fourth down they could have take a delay of game as 5 yards further back from such a short FG is meaningless in the NFL.

Fred Jackson definitely did NOT intentionally go down at the 1.  It was initially ruled a TD and it was overturned when it became clear his knee was down just shy of the goal line.

16 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

A game should never come down to one blown call, because it should be expected to happen with the human element. How about the Saints put the game away before that, instead of blowing a large halftime lead. The referees didn’t eliminate their huge lead. 

People often forget there are two teams playing this game. There will be ebb and flow. When teams are equal a simple missed call can affect either or both teams.  I don't think there is a conspiracy but the refs missed the call. It was a horribly bad missed call. A blind man looking the other way would have made that call. 

9 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Fred Jackson definitely did NOT intentionally go down at the 1.  It was initially ruled a TD and it was overturned when it became clear his knee was down just shy of the goal line.

Oh my god you are correct, my bad.  Funny how things change in uyour mind.  I do recall an Philadelphia Eagle did that about 5 years ago as did a New York Giant.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

On 1/30/2019 at 8:42 PM, nedboy7 said:

What a bunch of whiny Bills fans. 

You love a game w no integrity ha? 

Integrity means honesty.  So you're saying the refs were dishonest?     Come on man, if you watch enough football (or any) you know there are tons of blown calls, or no calls every single game.  It wasn't cheating or collusion, just a ref too scared to call what he saw for some reason.  The Saints got screwed on that call, but every team gets screwed on no calls or phantom calls like the Minny P.I. call the Saints got in the playoffs..

The thing that gets me is the Saints got the ball back after that call, win the coin toss in OT at home against an average NFL defense and couldn't do anything with it.    They punted and the Rams closed the deal when they got the ball.  Had nothing to do with the refs at that point, just team vs team and the Saints lost the head-to-head.

I was pulling for N.O. too but geez, taking billboards out in Atlanta and suing the league?  really?    That's ugly.  

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

Integrity means honesty.  So you're saying the refs were dishonest?     Come on man, if you watch enough football (or any) you know there are tons of blown calls, or no calls every single game.  It wasn't cheating or collusion, just a ref too scared to call what he saw for some reason.  The Saints got screwed on that call, but every team gets screwed on no calls or phantom calls like the Minny P.I. call the Saints got in the playoffs..

The thing that gets me is the Saints got the ball back after that call, win the coin toss in OT at home against an average NFL defense and couldn't do anything with it.    They punted and the Rams closed the deal when they got the ball.  Had nothing to do with the refs at that point, just team vs team and the Saints lost the head-to-head.

I was pulling for N.O. too but geez, taking billboards out in Atlanta and suing the league?  really?    That's ugly.  

I see your point. But with the correct call there most likely the saints win.   For me personally I’m done w the season. No need to watch this nonsense.  I’ll be back to watch some bills. 

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:14 AM, Bfanlc said:

People often forget there are two teams playing this game. There will be ebb and flow. When teams are equal a simple missed call can affect either or both teams.  I don't think there is a conspiracy but the refs missed the call. It was a horribly bad missed call. A blind man looking the other way would have made that call. 

Coming attractions:  Coaches will get a challenge of no call in the last 2 minutes when the new season starts.  They should put it in right now.

Just because there  was a bad call doesn't mean we need more replay and more challenges

Every big play a coach will throw a flag and claim holding and they'll find it somewhere.

It's already bad enough that Everytime there is a huge play on defense the announcers say "and no flags!"

Now we can get a challenge too so that you never get excited about a huge play until 2 minutes after. Every play will be like a kick return where holding or illegal blocks negate every exciting play returners make

I'm tired of the Saints whining.

They were up 13-0 at home and blew it.

Brees came up short, yet again.

They had a lead at the end of the game and let the Rams drive to tie it.

They had the ball in OT and Brees threw a pick.

Saints lost the game fair and square. The pass should have been an easy pick 6 anyway and the game would have ended in regulation. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

On 1/30/2019 at 5:10 PM, Da webster guy said:

My brother lives in Covington, is a transplant fan down there, has Saints season tickets through his work.

Refuses to go anymore because of the Aholes and he used to live in Philly if that says anything.  He says if you wear Saints gear you're fine, if you happen to be there as a fan for another team expect to get pelted win or lose.   Did say the family section there is fine but his experience has been vastly different than yours.

I wasn't surprised at all that they sued the league and took out billboards in Atlanta because of a bad call.   

Your brother is lying to you.

On 1/31/2019 at 3:40 AM, GunnerBill said:

We are not over the music city screwjob. We are the last fanbase in a position to be giving "get over it" advice. 

And at least that was a close call. 

On 1/31/2019 at 4:40 AM, GunnerBill said:

First of all.......you weren't even a Bills fan at the time so you are kinda' trolling us on this.

But I'm over the MCM.

That Bills team was well positioned to steal a SB win in a relatively down year..........but they were on the road in the playoffs for a reason.......two bad home losses to non-playoff teams(including Wade's infamous "fourth and stupid" call).

No less-than-generational team with Wade Phillips as it's head coach should have ever won a SB...........great DC but just not enough attention to detail as a HC.

The Payton complaining is pretty weak though........the Saints played well below their best in the playoffs and IMO deserved to lose the week before.........Brees wasted the down before the non-PI with a terrible throw and then the non-PI itself should have been intercepted........the Saints then had multiple subsequent chances to make stops and a chance to win the game and didn't do either.

At least the better team won...........which can't be said for the 2009 NFC title game they hosted where the refs failed to throw about 5 obvious roughing-the-passer penalties..........which Saints fans should take into account because they reached that SB in GREAT PART due to officials not throwing flags that they would have normally thrown in the regular season.

And it's this "changing of the rules in the playoffs" that is IMO the genesis of that Robey-Coleman no-call.    When you start actively thinking about not making PI calls because you don't want to affect the outcome of a playoff game then a knucklehead like Robey-Coleman can make you look REALLY BAD as an official.

If anything Robey-Coleman's moronic execution of that play should have served more to underscore the nonsense that is playoff officiating than being isolated by whiners as the "only reason" the Saints aren't in the SB. 

Personally I hope NRC never plays another down in the NFL after tomorrow.    He made his money but he also made a mockery of a playoff game and I certainly wouldn't want that bed-crapper in coverage for my team late in a big game.    I suspect the Pats will pick on his panicked-ass aplenty tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Just because there  was a bad call doesn't mean we need more replay and more challenges

Every big play a coach will throw a flag and claim holding and they'll find it somewhere.

It's already bad enough that Everytime there is a huge play on defense the announcers say "and no flags!"

Now we can get a challenge too so that you never get excited about a huge play until 2 minutes after. Every play will be like a kick return where holding or illegal blocks negate every exciting play returners make

Saints lost the game fair and square. The pass should have been an easy pick 6 anyway and the game would have ended in regulation. 

...sickening....and now lawsuits?...seriously?.....Payton is a good coach but quite pompous and a legend only in HIS own mind IMO............

On 1/30/2019 at 2:33 PM, thenorthremembers said:

He comes across as a not so tough guy, who thinks he is tough.  The post makes it seem like you could see the shirt without the use of a microscope.  

When it comes to trolling the Commish, Matt Patricia wins this round.

1) Agreed on Payton.

2)..........and then the whole Matt Patricia rape-controversy happened.    I give Goodell credit for not burying Patricia........I'm sure if he dedicated some resources to settling the score with Patricia then he'd have found out about Matty's lil' secret and he'd have never gotten a HC gig.    And you know he was sweating balls that he was going to have to go in front of Roger for that.:lol:      

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/31/2019 at 7:49 AM, CLTbills said:

Me too. As a younger guy, definitely like to pull for McVay.

Pssssh! Screw that guy! 

He's just a couple months older than me, and he's on his 2nd season as a HC in the NFL & in the Super Bowl?! Makes me feel pretty insignificant for what I'm doing in my life...

Man, where did I go wrong...

On 2/2/2019 at 9:06 AM, TheFunPolice said:

Fair and square? Not so much. 

On 2/2/2019 at 1:48 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

At least the better team won...........which can't be said for the 2009 NFC title game they hosted where the refs failed to throw about 5 obvious roughing-the-passer penalties..........which Saints fans should take into account because they reached that SB in GREAT PART due to officials not throwing flags that they would have normally thrown in the regular season.

This is true. I had forgotten about that. Minnesota fan anger (which was justified) about that game was about as loud as Saints fans anger over the past couple of weeks.