Astro’s Scouting the Scouts - tracked which college games Bills scouts and FO leadership attended

YoloinOhio

I always find this interesting come draft season 

Astro’s Scouting The Scouts

The Bills’ scouts have been busy this year. Since late August, they have been attending the games of dozens of teams. What games the scouts went to, how often they scouted each team, and where Brandon Beane and Ass’t. GM Joe Schoen have gone has been very telling. 

This year, I decided to go a few steps further, and analyzed video and box scores of each attended game. I’ve tried to guess which players might have caught the scouts’ eyes.

http://billsmafia.com/2019/01/14/astros-scouting-scouts/

he only notes a few OL

OT Jonah Williams

C-OG Pierschbacher RD5-6

OT David Edwards RD1 tradedown

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I always find this interesting come draft season 

Astro’s Scouting The Scouts

The Bills’ scouts have been busy this year. Since late August, they have been attending the games of dozens of teams. What games the scouts went to, how often they scouted each team, and where Brandon Beane and Ass’t. GM Joe Schoen have gone has been very telling. 

This year, I decided to go a few steps further, and analyzed video and box scores of each attended game. I’ve tried to guess which players might have caught the scouts’ eyes.

http://billsmafia.com/2019/01/14/astros-scouting-scouts/

he only notes a few OL

This is awesome.  Any idea how accurate he is with his guesses at the projections?

Just now, PIZ said:

This is awesome.  Any idea how accurate he is with his guesses at the projections?

He is usually really good with how many times they go to see specific schools - they saw Tre White play live 3x for example but we all thought that they were there to see Jamal Adams based on where they were drafting before they traded down. What threw me off big time last year was that they never went to see Josh Allen play live. Unless it was uncredentialed. They saw Darnold 2x and Beane and Schoen went to see Rudolph. 

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He is usually really good with how many times they go to see specific schools - they saw Tre White play live 3x for example but we all thought that they were there to see Jamal Adams based on where they were drafting before they traded down. What threw me off big time last year was that they never went to see Josh Allen play live. Unless it was uncredentialed. They saw Darnold 2x and Beane and Schoen went to see Rudolph. 

That's interesting.  What are the details on uncredentialed visits?  Is that legal per NFL rules or can teams do whatever they want in regards to that?  

4 minutes ago, dpberr said:

That's interesting.  What are the details on uncredentialed visits?  Is that legal per NFL rules or can teams do whatever they want in regards to that?  

It’s legal but the scouts need to buy a ticket and sit with the fans

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Didnt Beane talk about watching him live at a game and how JA was reacting on the sidelines with his teammates?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He did, after the draft 

Right, but wouldnt that mean he did go see him uncredentialed then? Thats all I was saying

Edit: you're post seemed to imply your werent sure if he did

Edited by Bray Wyatt

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Right, but wouldnt that mean he did go see him uncredentialed then? Thats all I was saying

He could have, or Astro just missed it. He had one college scout at one game as i recall, but not Beane. My point was just that it’s not exact from a prediction standpoint - thinking if Beane didn’t see someone live he’s not going in the 1st. He could have seen him, unreported. 

Looking back they actually saw Darnold live 3x

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He could have, or Astro just missed it. He had one college scout at one game as i recall, but not Beane. My point was just that it’s not exact from a prediction standpoint - thinking if Beane didn’t see someone live he’s not going in the 1st. He could have seen him, unreported. 

Gotcha, I edited my post as to clarify, it sounded like you werent sure if Beane had gone uncredentialed or not, I was just relaying the fact it seemed he did

He also didn’t list all the guys the scouts watched at those games he has listed.

He has them at the PSU/Iowa game but didn’t list Sanders. I was hoping the Bills would look at Sanders, unfortunately he didn’t impress in that game.

Astro may have written this up before Sanders declared. 

I know it's not just OL that we scouted, but in reference to the players mentioned, I wonder how this has changed post-senior bowl and knowing the likes of Risner and Lindstrom are now higher considerations. Especially with the former stating he could fit within the culture.  Can't imagine our FO to be that narrow-minded that their board is more or less set at this point in the process, but I just hope the more recent demonstrations and examples outweigh the in-season hype for certain guys. 

Not as surprised to see Pierschbacher on there, and glad to see we're considering late round OL projections.

But I also hope that this doesn't mean we're that high on Jonah still either...