How the Super Bowl Isn't Quite as Super as it Use to Be !!

T master

The Super Bowl use to be the biggest game ever, the most anticipated because of the teams, the players, the coaches the half time show, & one of the things we all couldn't wait to see & a big part of the reason why we watched was because of the commercials some of them have become iconic in nature .

As i sit writing this there is a show on that shows a lot of the classic TV commercials but before the end of the show & i'm not sure who gave the okay to do so the past few years they will show most of the TV commercials that will air during this years Super Bowl .

So i ask you if they show all the TV commercials made especially for the SB what's the sense of watching to see the Super Bowl commercials ?

Although i know what some will say then don't watch them but what is the sense of even showing them ? What happened to the teaser in TV sure they could maybe show a small piece of a couple to get us to wonder what happens like they do in TV shows but why show them at all ? If the NFL wonders why viewership may be down could this type of thinking be a part of the reason ? 

If this is what they do with the commercials why not show us what the half time show before the game too, just have a show that goes inside the half time show practice so we know what that will be like too !

The Madden thing is all in fun because we don't know who is actually going to win the game it's just speculation, but showing the commercials just takes a little bit away from the game  .It's just another thing that has changed the watching of the game that was so Super just a little bit less Super than it use to be ... 

Yeah....I could really care less about Super Bowl commmercials...like everything, we suffer from over-saturation...if I see a "great" commmercial during the Super Bowl, rest assuered. I will see it 9 million times over the next year (especially if you watch sports), I can wait... I miss the game  iteslf being something special.  Commericals? Yuck...most of the time, these days, when I watch sports (except for Bills games) I tune in about a half hour late, so I can fast forward through commericals.  I won't do this for the Super Bowl, because I watch it every year with a group of buddies...some really dig the commercials...I just don't get it...

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 2

Can't speak for everyone, but my interest in football itself has been in decline for years.  I only watch the Bills now.  So the superbowl is a big yawn to me any more.Even at the parties I go to, very few people actually watch the game for the majority of the time. 

One commercial I thought might be good, I watched the other day (released early, wtf), the chic from sex in the city and "the dude".  ***** stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

After the fiasco of both title games, the Super Bowl just feels like an overhyped WWE match. I don't even think I can watch the Pats get phantom calls and the sh^thead announcers fawn over Brady like he's Hulk Hogan in his prime. The hyped up crappy commercials, the bloated overly political half-time show with lame ass performers spouting off about Krapernick and fake causes. The Super Bowl has definitely lost its luster and even the fact that NE is in it and Goodell is still commissioner is a crime against the game itself. I love football, but am growing to hate the Stuper Bowl.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I remember when the purpose of the Super Bowl was to determine the NFL champion for that season, not to debut overpriced, overhyped, and usually stupid commercials that are totally unrelated to the actual products they're hawking. 

(I know - you can insert "Old man yells at cloud" meme here.)

• Like (+1) 2

The Boring Bowl, once again I will be working a double shift on Saturday and Sunday and taking half the money and putting it on the Pats to win. The Rams will need to play a absolute perfect game and they will need to survive at least 3 very bad calls from the officials. This is easy money, I've already made 1,600 $$$ on the Patriots on just the playoffs. 900$ on the Patriots to win 600$, way too easy.

The Super Bowl was a horrible football game like just about every year from the time I began making memories (Bears-Patriots) until toward the end of college (Rams-Titans) and has been good way more often than not ever since.  I definitely fawn for the days of yore when it comes to most things, but not the Super Bowl.  It will be another good game on Sunday.  It always sucked when I was a kid.

Also, Rams/over teaser is free money if anyone is into that.

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Like (+1) 2

The problem for me is that as I get older, there have been more and more Super Bowls, and they progressively feel less and less special. I was born in 1967, and what used to be a big achievement, now seems like just another season's winner. The shine kind of wore off after the 90's Bills.

And I hate the Halftime shows that are designed to entertain the casual (or not-at-all) viewer. I hate that they pander to those people at the expense of the actual NFL fans.

Edited by OJ Tom
  • Like (+1) 2

It's a strange dichotomy for me...

Over the years, the more hype, press, pre-game, etc. that the game gets, the less important the actual game seems to be. Sometimes after the halftime show (which I never watch anymore and which is too long), you almost forget that there's still more football to be played (unless its your team in the Bowl). I think the Super Bowl is a victim of its own success/popularity. They let it get so over inflated that it isn't as interesting or entertaining as it used to be.

And as to the commercials, there was a brief period in the 80s and 90s, where we weren't yet totally saturated with media and companies would spend a lot of money coming up with funny or big production commercials that were worth watching. But for at least the last 10 years, the commercials haven't been anything that interesting anyhow. So, if I did see them before the game, no big deal. I don't think people really watch the game for the commercials anymore, that just gets said because for a while it was true and the TV networks want companies (who spend a fortune for a time slot) to still believe that.

• Like (+1) 1

The Superbowl is still the same for me as it has always been. Fun time to get together with family and friends and watch the game. Many of my family members aren't interested in football but still love to get together to watch the Superbowl.

• Like (+1) 3

I think what made the Superbowl unique has peaked as the problem is pry in the redundency rather than the design.  Media day, the commercials, and the halftime show just seem stale even if the quality is still there.  Patriots fatigue may also have a lot to do with it.

• Like (+1) 4