Siberian’ stigma: How the Bills recruit free agents to Buffalo and why deep pockets don’t always help

Logic

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

According to research and anyone who understands that no matter how hard you try to make it so, women and men will never be the same, want the same things and value the same things.  As women attempt to become more "masculine" their happiness level has dropped significantly...leading to relationship strife, divorces and feelings of unfulfillment. But keep pushing the beta agenda if you wish...it hasnt worked for the entire history of mankind...maybe you'll get lucky one day and it suddenly will...

https://www.christianheadlines.com/columnists/al-mohler/feminism-unfulfilled-—-why-are-so-many-women-unhappy-11610259.html

Oof...

News flash @matter2003: you're actually a beta.

Probably even a gamma. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

Its funny how many of you are upset players won't sign in Buffalo yet many of you left Buffalo for a lot of the same reasons players won't sign. 

Not quite the same - nobody was offering us 5 million dollars or more a year to stay... ? 

• Like (+1) 1

The argument for “normal” jobs and chilly location fails here. If you are an athlete with a very limited shelf life to make the money that will possibly set you up for the rest of your life, you most likely suck it up. Take the MONEY and do your 3-10+ years. Follow the money will almost always be the case. Winning and being successful for your next contract is more important than the average temperature in December. 

If you are a nurse, teacher or banker and plan to be in for the long haul, location and climate might be more important. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

According to research and anyone who understands that no matter how hard you try to make it so, women and men will never be the same, want the same things and value the same things.  As women attempt to become more "masculine" their happiness level has dropped significantly...leading to relationship strife, divorces and feelings of unfulfillment. But keep pushing the beta agenda if you wish...it hasnt worked for the entire history of mankind...maybe you'll get lucky one day and it suddenly will...

https://www.christianheadlines.com/columnists/al-mohler/feminism-unfulfilled-—-why-are-so-many-women-unhappy-11610259.html

"Christian headlines" is not exactly a realiable, scientific source.

For the record, I am a Christian, conservative, white male. I do believe that men should be providers, protectors, and preside in the home. However, it is VERY common for men to be authoritarian and dominating in the home. Men should be leaders, not dominators. Men should be examples of love, charity, patience, kindness, long-suffering, etc. And yes, they should treat their spouses as equals and empower them to seek success and fulfillment in their lives within and without the home.

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

I consider what you posted earlier and above linked.   The most dangerous thing we can get ourselves involved is believing our thoughts are truth.  

Who decides what's moral and what isn't?

You mock the generation or two before you - yet they've had more success with marriage.  The young people of today lecture the past yet things are clearly worse.  

I didn't mock any generation. Perhaps you are thinking of somebody else?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Really a non story. Buffalo might have crappy weather but it’s not about the weather for the 99.9% of players who just want to compete for a roster spot. That being said, the better question is do we retain our elite players? How good are we at lifers? Guys like Kyle Williams. I thought Stephon Gilmore didn’t mind Buffalo, but he took more $ to go to a winner. I’ll this forever, no one cares about the weather as long as you’re winning. 

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t paste the entire Article since  it’s a paid subscription and not sure if that’s allowed,  but there were a number of reasons laid out. Lack of winning was one, but not really weighted higher than others. It depended on the player interviewed. Buddy nix said it was one factor, one of many. 

I just checked and it's allowed.

15 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Really a non story. Buffalo might have crappy weather but it’s not about the weather for the 99.9% of players who just want to compete for a roster spot. That being said, the better question is do we retain our elite players? How good are we at lifers? Guys like Kyle Williams. I thought Stephon Gilmore didn’t mind Buffalo, but he took more $ to go to a winner. I’ll this forever, no one cares about the weather as long as you’re winning. 

this is they key. We have hard  time getting guys to come here because our team has sucked.  Guys gotta believe we are building something they want to be a part of.  I remember when the Minister of Defense signed with Green Bay.  He said it was because they were  building something. I thought he was nuts, but he was right 

This is why i hated to see us take a step back this year.  After 2017, looked like we were building something.  First year HC. Made it to.playoffs. Now it's a ground floor opportunity.  A harder sell.

Not sure a lot of cap space and a 2nd year QB that may or not be good and coming off a losing season helps much in that department.

Then again, money talks. But money AND winning talks louder.

I'm going to dispute this article and say it's a bunch of bull####.

Every player has his own prerogative. The best football players & coaches are the ones who care about their WORK above all else. The smartest and best professionals will go where they have the best opportunity on the field (to start, the play in the right scheme, to play with a winner). A playing career is already limited, with a good career lasting 10 years, and an average career probably lasting 5 years or something. While these guys are in the season, their whole life is football anyhow so it shouldn't really matter where they are. Then take into account that the offseason is long and they can go wherever they want. Then take into account that after football they can live wherever they please. Then take into account that what people say and actually DO is usually not congruent.

My opinion stems from my personal life and career, which is based on passion with very specific opportunities. I have moved around all over the world on a consistent basis to do something very specific that I love, and I don't get all the money that football players do. I've been in some ***** places and some wonderful places, and when I'm working I'm entirely focused on that because it's necessary to perform at the highest level.

It's not easy to start from the ground up for any organization. So, I say if the Bills build a great team, they will attract great talent!!!

Edited by CheshireCT
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Augie said:

How on earth did this take such an odd and squirrelly turn? 

Please people, try to regroup. 

We called a bad audible. Gotta get the first on 3rd and long before the thread punts.

huddle up boys

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

I believe a lot of this up until about 2016. I say 2016 because since then Buffalo has seen a massive revitalization with the downtown area with a lot being offered and open with articles coming out monthly saying its a place to visit.

They city fundamentally is different since then and the also in 2016 was the real elevation of the Bills Mafia crazyness.

I do not doubt some would avoid the area for certain reasons, but reputation wise I do think the area is different now compared to even 5 years ago which does matter.  That said reputation is what it is the team will have to work harder then others and overcome taxes like Tim discusses. And the biggest thing is winning. When Buffalo was winning they got FA's like Bryce Paup and James Lofton. If Allen goes 11-5 next year and lights it up players will over look a good amount.