Siberian’ stigma: How the Bills recruit free agents to Buffalo and why deep pockets don’t always help

Logic

Hard to believe that there were actually idiots who were demanding that Ralph give Shanahan an ownership stake in the franchise to come here.

Glad we dodged the bullet.

Just now, teef said:

i wonder if shanny tucks is junk between his legs when his wife tells him.

I'd wager that he has to ask permission to untuck his junk.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t paste the entire Article since  it’s a paid subscription and not sure if that’s allowed,  but there were a number of reasons laid out. Lack of winning was one, but not really weighted higher than others. It depended on the player interviewed. Buddy nix said it was one factor, one of many. 

ok thanks.....once you have a reputation like Buffalo seems to have it's difficult to change it. Ted Marchibroda said...once you have a reputation as an early riser...you can sleep til noon

Its why the draft is extremely important for the Bills. Get good players in the draft and they generally end up liking the organization and the community. Then spend the money to keep your own guys. They have been here for 4-5 years and you will not have to sell them on much of anything as they know what playing in Buffalo is like rather than just going off preconceived notions. 

• Like (+1) 4

Some random thoughts....

1. Shanahan was/is a douche. Recall that he was fired as OC for the Broncos because he was doing things behind Dan Reeves' back and subverting the organization. Then he went to Oakland and crapped the bed as head coach -- Al Davis fired him after one season.

2. Ralph fired Jauron mid-season back in 2009 -- and the organization tried to get a head start on head coach interviews. Ralph had always been a miser when it came to head coaches, but seemed to be willing to spend top $ on a head coach after the Jauron firing. The Bills reportedly offered Shanahan $10 M per year, but he wound up going to Washington instead for roughly the same money. The belief at the time was that he was using the Bills to drive up his contract demands with other teams. I am not sure that Graham's quote about his only reason for not signing with the Bills was because his wife did not want to live in Buffalo. I suspect that Schneider would have matched any offer that Shanhan would have received from the Bills. Recall that Shanhan even got to hand-pick his own GM in Washington, and that turned out to be Bruce Allen.

3. Remember also that when the Bills lost out on the Shanahan sweepstakes, they next turned their attention toward Bill Cowher, and they really did go full court press on him. Cowher declined but strongly recommended Chan Gailey. The rest is history...

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Some random thoughts....

1. Shanahan was/is a douche. Recall that he was fired as OC for the Broncos because he was doing things behind Dan Reeves' back and subverting the organization. Then he went to Oakland and crapped the bed as head coach -- Al Davis fired him after one season.

2. Ralph fired Jauron mid-season back in 2009 -- and the organization tried to get a head start on head coach interviews. Ralph had always been a miser when it came to head coaches, but seemed to be willing to spend top $ on a head coach after the Jauron firing. The Bills reportedly offered Shanahan $10 M per year, but he wound up going to Washington instead for roughly the same money. The belief at the time was that he was using the Bills to drive up his contract demands with other teams. I am not sure that Graham's quote about his only reason for not signing with the Bills was because his wife did not want to live in Buffalo. I suspect that Schneider would have matched any offer that Shanhan would have received from the Bills. Recall that Shanhan even got to hand-pick his own GM in Washington, and that turned out to be Bruce Allen.

3. Remember also that when the Bills lost out on the Shanahan sweepstakes, they next turned their attention toward Bill Cowher, and they really did go full court press on him. Cowher declined but strongly recommended Chan Gailey. The rest is history...

Didn't Cowher decline the offer for essentially the same reason? Wife? Buffalo MUST draft well. That's the bottom line.

51 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Good for her.  Shanahan was an overrated coach who was made famous by John Elway.  Elway made him and his misuse of RGIII ruined him.

How many SB's wins did Elway lead the Broncos to before Shanahan showed up?  Oh that's right, they were 0-3 with Elway in his prime.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I wouldn't let my wife tell me where I can and can not work. sorry, I believe in compromise but not control.

Sounds like YOU want the control, not to compromise.

• Like (+1) 1

if this team ever becomes a regular playoff contender, free agents will be here.  as barr mentioned, if the situation is right for the player, and the money is there, why wouldn't someone come.  they don't have to live in buffalo full time, and it doesn't really get too cold until now.  just treat it like a work environment and move on.  this may be a tougher sell to the younger guys though.

51 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Wait, you would force your wife to move to a city that she doesn't want to live in, when you can just as easily find the same job in a different city? 

Who makes the money so she can probably not work and live a carefree life?

• Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

I don't want ignorant people asking for excessive amounts of money (a location fee, per se) to come to Buffalo to play. Players talk, the ones that are here, know the environment and most seem to love it once they're here. If you're seeking out employment, you get an idea from others, what it's like before thinking of coming to a city / team. Harris' comment (or lack there of) proves he's just ignorant. Maybe Buffalo isn't for him, but w/o having direct knowledge...that's just a stupid thing to do. Give me someone who's mature enough and wants to embrace the environment...not only be there because they offered the most money. 

I'm not in the Buffalo bashing business, but why do none of our current players make WNY their permanent residence? It is what it is.

I love Buffalo, but it's not for everyone. I remember finding it odd that Nate Odomes rented some dump apartment behind my cousin's house in Armor.

If you believe it's hard to attract free agents to Buffalo.............then you'd better believe you gotta' use the early rounds to draft players at the high dollar positions.

QB/Pass Rusher/LT/CB/WR.........those are the $15M+ AAV second contract types that you want control of for 5-7 seasons.

Those guys are the NFL's version of the NBA max contract guys.........the market won't dictate where they go.

But if you need, say.......a RT or an interior OL or a RB or a LB or S.......you can always outbid teams for those.........those guys will follow the market and you can overpay for them and win those bidding wars.

And you can actually still afford it if you are paying below market for your players at premium positions.

So basically keep this in mind when you are tryna' sell the idea of drafting a Center or a RB with either of your first two picks.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Other cities deal with this too. Artemi Panarin was traded to the blue jackets but doesn’t want to stay here once he becomes a FA. He wants to live in a huge market like NYC or  by the ocean in FL. Team is good, wants to pay him, he doesn’t care. He’s young, rich end single and can choose where he wants to live. He likes Columbus but... it’s the Midwest. It is what it is. I do wonder why teams like Miami aren’t better than they are, you would think they would rake in the young FAs.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1