Patriots vs. AFC East

4_kidd_4

Been discussing  this with some friends via group message the last few days, thought I’d throw it out to the board for discussion, as the ‘answer’ seems to be highly debatable.

In this 15+ year era of Patriots dominance over the AFC East, who has been Brady’s toughest match at opposing QB within the division?

Who has been Belichick’s toughest match at HC within the division?

Yes, we are all tired of their story, but it’s tough to say that any of the other three AFC East teams have really given them a real go when it comes to challenging their longevity.

Drew Bledsoe had a hot season here, and Fitz threw for a bunch against the Pats a few times. Could Brady’s “best” AFCE competition really be Jay Fiedler?

It’s an even tougher Q at HC. Certainly no one that’s come through Buffalo since 2001. 

What says youse?

35 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Well, according to sexy Rexy, he always gave Tommy and Hoodie the most problems. So that must be a scientific fact! 

eh, best team vs Patriots WAS the 2010 Jets. Rex came out swinging with that defense and.. Thomas Jones?? But it was mostly a wet fart.

AFCE non Patriot MVP: Darrelle Revis, if you disqualify him for being a Patriot: 

Cameron Wake

Best quarterback: Chad Pennington fo sho. Followed by Fitz, then Tyrod, then Tannehill, then Sanchez.

Best HC: Tony Sparano.. whoever came up with the WildCat.. followed by Rex.

Best defense: 2010 Jets. Best Offense: Chan Gailey Bills

Best RB: Ricky Williams, Ronnie Brown, Thomas Jones, LeSean McCoy, FreDex

Best WR: Stevie Johnson, Chris Chambers, Brandon Marshall, Jarvis Landry, TO

Honorable mentions: Cameron Wake, Kyle Williams, Aaron Schobel, Jason Taylor, Bart Scott, David Harris

Good job AFCE.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s a bummer, but our friendly Pats guest is actually right this time - QB is Pennington.

I really liked Chad - huge heart - but c’mon.

I think Allen and Darnold will be miles better.  Things are finally turning - here’s hoping the Pats search for decades after Brady, like we had to.

Tom Brady era all AFCE team (this'll be fun..  would be like a 12-4 team today between 3 teams over 20 years):

HC: Tony Sparano     OC: Chan Gailey     DC: Todd Bowles

QB: Chad Pennington, backup: Brett Favre!!!

RB: Ricky Williams, LeSean McCoy

WR: Jarvis Landry, Stevie Johnson, Chris Chambers

TE: Dustin Keller

OT: Jason Peters, D'Brickashaw Ferguson

OG: Ritchie Incognito, Alan Faneca

C; Nick Mangold

DE: Jason Taylor, Cameron Wake

DT: Kyle Williams, Pat Williams

LB: Zachary Taylor, David Harris, Takeo Spikes

CB: Darrelle Revis, Nate Clements

SS: LaRon Landry

FS: Jamal Adams??

Basically the AFE gave Brady no QBs and no HCs vs the GOAT HC and QB , everybody had great RBs, Jets boasted a monster OL, Dolphins a monster DL and signed FA LBs like crazy

Bills had the DBs, skill positions, and mostly never re-signed ANYBODY long enough to merit the 20 year team cut.

And this is a pretty good team! Take these players in their prime and they probably go between 14-2 and 11-5 before losing to Brady in the divisional round after Favre relieves Pennington in a shootout against Brady.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Been discussing  this with some friends via group message the last few days, thought I’d throw it out to the board for discussion, as the ‘answer’ seems to be highly debatable.

In this 15+ year era of Patriots dominance over the AFC East, who has been Brady’s toughest match at opposing QB within the division?

Who has been Belichick’s toughest match at HC within the division?

Yes, we are all tired of their story, but it’s tough to say that any of the other three AFC East teams have really given them a real go when it comes to challenging their longevity.

Drew Bledsoe had a hot season here, and Fitz threw for a bunch against the Pats a few times. Could Brady’s “best” AFCE competition really be Jay Fiedler?

It’s an even tougher Q at HC. Certainly no one that’s come through Buffalo since 2001. 

What says youse?

I made this point in another thread.  They pretty much have 6 fairly guaranteed wins/year before the season starts.  The graphic above (great graphic) is Belichick vs. the NFL.  Here is Brady vs. the NFL:

Screen-Shot-2018-11-06-at-7.35.30-AM.png

29-3 vs. BUF

26-8 vs. NYJ

22-10 vs. MIA

That's a 79% winning percentage.

I believe Brady is the GOAT.  But he was blessed with a great owner, head coach and with being in an absolutely pathetic division.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

It's depressing. You can even go outside the AFC East and not really find any team. Denver is closest.

ne.jpg

How have the bills (34) played the patriots more than the dolphins (33)?

nevermind- update date was during a season.

Edited by whatdrought

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

It's depressing. You can even go outside the AFC East and not really find any team. Denver is closest.

ne.jpg

That's the most horrible and upsetting thing I've ever looked at. 

It's no wonder why Bills fans are the number 1 haters of the Patriots.

Sweet fanciful Moses, that's awful.

Coach/QB combo in the division that has had the most success against Brady/Belicheck had probably been Ryan/Sanchez during the two year period where they went to the championship game.  I say them mostly because they beat NE in a playoff game in a season where NE looked

like the best team in the league by a mile over 2nd best.  Other than that, Tannehill and the Dolphins have had their number recently when they travel to Miami.

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

I made this point in another thread.  They pretty much have 6 fairly guaranteed wins/year before the season starts.  The graphic above (great graphic) is Belichick vs. the NFL.  Here is Brady vs. the NFL:

29-3 vs. BUF

26-8 vs. NYJ

22-10 vs. MIA

I believe Brady is the GOAT.  But he was blessed with a great owner, head coach and with being in an absolutely pathetic division.

just wish Tom had shown this potential during his decent 2 years of play at Michigan....  :(

37 minutes ago, row_33 said:

just wish Tom had shown this potential during his decent 2 years of play at Michigan....  :(

Other than this?:

"In the two seasons that Brady started at Michigan, he posted a 20–5 record, including wins at the Citrus Bowl (1999) and the Orange Bowl (2000). Brady finished his career ranking third in Michigan history with 710 attempts and 442 completions, fourth with 5,351 yards and 62.3 completion percentage, and fifth with 35 touchdown passes."

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Other than this?:

"In the two seasons that Brady started at Michigan, he posted a 20–5 record, including wins at the Citrus Bowl (1999) and the Orange Bowl (2000). Brady finished his career ranking third in Michigan history with 710 attempts and 442 completions, fourth with 5,351 yards and 62.3 completion percentage, and fifth with 35 touchdown passes."

it was complicated....

Griese led the team to an undefeated share of the title in 1997

then Tom was a decent dropback NFL-style QB who had waited two years in apprenticeship

his two years as starter were whipsawed by the demand that local hero Drew Henson get to play whenever Tom had a bad series

the stats and snaps tallied do not remotely represent the hassle put on Tom and the amount of time Drew was actually sent in to play.

Edited by row_33

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

29-3 vs. BUF

26-8 vs. NYJ

22-10 vs. MIA

Well that settles it, he can barely beat the Cardinals or the Giants, so someone get on the horn to the commish's offices and make the 2020 schedule feature the first ever home and home outside the division for him against Rosen and Eli! Problem solved :P

• Haha (+1) 1