David Culley (former Bills QB coach) gone- to Ravens

One Buffalo

49 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The schedule also got considerably easier when he returned.

In the key matchup against a Patriots team that had been struggling........... they were shut down and nearly shut out.

That was more consistent with the performance in games in the early portion of their schedule...........good teams could have their way with the Bills offense..... which is why it was historically bad for most of the year.

Improved OL and running game goes a long way toward being better on a consistent basis.........and adding Beasley and Brown helps too but you can't expect Allen to be a guy to turn "solid" WR's into a top passing game at this stage of his career.

They really need a guy to demand constant double teams in the passing game........hopefully that's Foster but his history is far too murky to count on that..........they badly need another big time playmaking/matchup-winning option to help make it work against better defenses while Allen is learning how to play the position.

Having Brown and Foster on the outsides will force teams to double cover at least one of them, reaching that objective.   

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The schedule also got considerably easier when he returned.

In the key matchup against a Patriots team that had been struggling........... they were shut down and nearly shut out.

That was more consistent with the performance in games in the early portion of their schedule...........good teams could have their way with the Bills offense..... which is why it was historically bad for most of the year.

Improved OL and running game goes a long way toward being better on a consistent basis.........and adding Beasley and Brown helps too but you can't expect Allen to be a guy to turn "solid" WR's into a top passing game at this stage of his career.

They really need a guy to demand constant double teams in the passing game........hopefully that's Foster but his history is far too murky to count on that..........they badly need another big time playmaking/matchup-winning option to help make it work against better defenses while Allen is learning how to play the position.

Both Brown and Beasley are "playmaking/matchup-winning" options in the passing game.  Foster looks like he's becoming one as well.  I'd still like them to draft a guy like Harry or Deebo Samuel but I don't think they need a "true #1 WR" in the conventional sense of the phrase.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, eball said:

Both Brown and Beasley are "playmaking/matchup-winning" options in the passing game.  Foster looks like he's becoming one as well.  I'd still like them to draft a guy like Harry or Deebo Samuel but I don't think they need a "true #1 WR" in the conventional sense of the phrase.

I said this elsewhere but I'll say it again here.  They don't need a "true #1 WR."  Again only half of the teams that made the playoffs last season had a 1,000 WR and the Cheaters won the SB without a 1,000 yard receiver.  Moreover I just don't see where a high draft pick WR would fit given they signed Brown and Beasley to decent-sized deals, have Foster who showed great promise and still have Zay (who hopefully will have an uneventful off-season this year). 

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

Having Brown and Foster on the outsides will force teams to double cover at least one of them, reaching that objective.   

I like John Brown but let's be realistic here.......c'mon now.........has he ever been doubled? :lol:   

Dude averaged 500 yards receiving the past 3 seasons...........he ain't anyone's idea of a #1.

As for Foster.........if he can keep up the pace he was on in the second half of last year he might be that guy that opens up the field for everyone else............but that literally came out of nowhere..........this is a guy who was nagged by injuries and only played in 19 games and caught 35 passes total in 4 years at Alabama.      I like his skillset and defended the much maligned SkyDiver on here when most of you were dousing him with gasoline for his Foster takes.......... but you probably shouldn't build your passing offense around the idea that he will become a 1400 yard receiver just yet.      

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I said this elsewhere but I'll say it again here.  They don't need a "true #1 WR."  Again only half of the teams that made the playoffs last season had a 1,000 WR and the Cheaters won the SB without a 1,000 yard receiver.  Moreover I just don't see where a high draft pick WR would fit given they signed Brown and Beasley to decent-sized deals, have Foster who showed great promise and still have Zay (who hopefully will have an uneventful off-season this year). 

The one advantage a true number 1 provides is help for Josh Allen, when Ben started in pittsburgh he had Plaxico Burress. Just somewhere to go when you can't make it through all your reads.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I like John Brown but let's be realistic here.......c'mon now.........has he ever been doubled? :lol:   

Dude averaged 500 yards receiving the past 3 seasons...........he ain't anyone's idea of a #1.

As for Foster.........if he can keep up the pace he was on in the second half of last year he might be that guy that opens up the field for everyone else............but that literally came out of nowhere..........this is a guy who was nagged by injuries and only played in 19 games and caught 35 passes total in 4 years at Alabama.      I like his skillset and defended the much maligned SkyDiver on here when most of you were dousing him with gasoline for his Foster takes.......... but you probably shouldn't build your passing offense around the idea that he will become a 1400 yard receiver just yet.      

If you have to ask if John Brown has ever been doubled...

As for Foster, sure he came out of nowhere.  That's neither here nor there since he's here now.  And again whether you want to believe that Brown has never been doubled, fine, with the speed of both of them S's will have to pay attention to one of them at least for fear of getting burned deep.  Which again opens up the underneath.

11 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

The one advantage a true number 1 provides is help for Josh Allen, when Ben started in pittsburgh he had Plaxico Burress. Just somewhere to go when you can't make it through all your reads.

That's what I'm expecting Beasley to be: an outlet at worst.

9 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

This is what is lost on eball and Doc, IMO.

Josh Allen is not Tom Brady:lol:........"well the Patriots don't have a #1 WR" just isn't a useful argument when comparing a raw, big armed QB with a tendency to take the high risk/high reward throw versus the surgically precise decision maker and passer that Brady is.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Josh Allen is not Tom Brady:lol:........"well the Patriots don't have a #1 WR" just isn't a useful argument when comparing a raw, big armed QB with a tendency to take the high risk/high reward throw versus the surgically precise decision maker and passer that Brady is. 

Well, you consider Sammy a true #1, so...

39 minutes ago, eball said:

If the Bills defense was playing a receiving corps with Brown and Beasley...........would you be sweating the ability of Wallace and Johnson to cover those guys?   

The answer should be no.

As mentioned........John Brown has averaged 500 yards receiving the past 3 seasons........and since Beasley became a regular target 6 years ago he's been good for about 50 grabs and 500 yards per season.

These aren't dominant players folks..........that's 30 yards receiving each per game. 

Allen needs more help than that...........he's not a 35 year old veteran passer who sees the entire field and can be expected to dissect defenses with tight window throws all day.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I do think there is a better shot of JA developing his game this year given the changes to the qb room, but I don't see how he's going to curb everything he's learned to become a qb that will know and take what the defense is giving him. Usually that is in the third season. Beasley will help, Brown will help, but I think if that's what we end up with I think the coaching is going to have to bridge the gap so that revamped qb room is going to have to produce.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If the Bills defense was playing a receiving corps with Brown and Beasley...........would you be sweating the ability of Wallace and Johnson to cover those guys?   

The answer should be no.

As mentioned........John Brown has averaged 500 yards receiving the past 3 seasons........and since Beasley became a regular target 6 years ago he's been good for about 50 grabs and 500 yards per season.

These aren't dominant players folks..........that's 30 yards receiving each per game. 

Allen needs more help than that...........he's not a 35 year old veteran passer who sees the entire field and can be expected to dissect defenses with tight window throws all day.

Just Brown and Beasley?  Probably not.  Brown, Beasley...and Foster?  Yeah, I probably would.  Although the trio of White, Wallace and Johnson are among the best in the league.  Not many teams can boast that.

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well, you consider Sammy a true #1, so...

Like the Rams and Chiefs did.............who played in the SB and AFC championship game, respectively.

The formula works.

Put elite talent around your inexpensive young QB.............I like John Brown and Beasley but those are not elite players.    Not close. 

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Just Brown and Beasley?  Probably not.  Brown, Beasley...and Foster?  Yeah, I probably would.  Although the trio of White, Wallace and Johnson are among the best in the league.  Not many teams can boast that.

As I said...........Foster is the hope...........but his actual track record is astonishingly poor.     That's why people like you were dumping hard on SkyDiver for hyping him last fall.   The same people are penciling him in to be great.  

Realistically it's putting too many eggs in that basket if you subscribe to the theory that most teams that have been successful with young QB's in recent years do............that you need to put BIG TIME receiving talent around that QB. 

Also if you think the Bills are even close to the only team with a solid looking group of CB's you aren't paying attention.   

More than any other position the past two decades the CB position has gotten deeper with talent around the league.

Nobody is starting a "punt catcher" or a Kirby Jackson at CB anymore..........the quality of CB talent is high and especially recently there have been A LOT more good CB's enter the league since 2014 than there have been good WR's.........there has actually been a dearth of WR talent in most of those drafts.    

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eball said:

Agreed.  But I think one thing we've seen is that McDermott is not unwilling to make changes.  He gives people the chance to succeed or fail.

The troubling part is that McDermott hired Culley to be the QB coach in the first place.   Culley had absolutely no experience coaching QBs on the pro level and only a year as a QB coach at a modest collegiate program (SW Louisiana I think) thirty years ago.   Position coaches are responsible for helping players master the fundamentals of the position, so they NEED to know how to play the position and teach others how to play it.  How could anybody consider Culley to be qualified to be an NFL QB coach, especially for a raw first round QB in more than usual desperate need of coaching?   I complained about this last season, and as far as I'm concerned, it raises serious questions about McDermott's competence as a HC.  A good HC hires good assistants, and McDermott's failed 4 times already in just 2 seasons: OC Rick Dennison, STC Danny Crossman, OL coach Juan Castillo, and QB coach David Culley.

As for Peterman and/or McCarron "mentoring" Allen or not, this is just bull manure.   First off, it's NOT the job of backup QBs to be coaching assistants to the QB coach.   Second, neither Peterman nor McCarron has enough experience to mentor anybody! :doh:   If they were to be starters, they would NEED mentoring almost as much as Allen.  If the Bills wanted somebody to mentor Allen, they should have kept Taylor, but the whole idea of expecting a player to be a mentor another player is simply stupid.  It can happen in the right circumstances where the two players "hit it off", but there is no guarantee it will.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Like the Rams and Chiefs did.............who played in the SB and AFC championship game, respectively.

The formula works.

Put elite talent around your inexpensive young QB.............I like John Brown and Beasley but those are not elite players.    Not close. 

An elite talent/true #1 (and that's what Sammy's paid like) produces despite double-coverage (Sammy doesn't).  He also gets injured a lot (what's that saying: the best ability is availability?).  The Rams fared fine without him and the Chefs would too.

The Bills had a chance to add an elite talent in AB but given the way he acted with the Steelers, I was glad they came to their senses and didn't go through with it.  Some other #1 WR like Hopkins, Jones, even Green?  Sure, but they're not available.  Let the Bills develop their own potential elite talent in Foster without hindering him with AB's presence/AB getting pissy that someone else is taking his touches away.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As I said...........Foster is the hope...........but his actual track record is astonishingly poor.     That's why people like you were dumping hard on SkyDiver for hyping him last fall.   The same people are penciling him in to be great.  

Realistically it's putting too many eggs in that basket if you subscribe to the theory that most teams that have been successful with young QB's in recent years do............that you need to put BIG TIME receiving talent around that QB. 

Also if you think the Bills are even close to the only team with a solid looking group of CB's you aren't paying attention.   

More than any other position the past two decades the CB position has gotten deeper with talent around the league.

Nobody is starting a "punt catcher" or a Kirby Jackson at CB anymore..........the quality of CB talent is high and especially recently there have been A LOT more good CB's enter the league since 2014 than there have been good WR's.........there has actually been a dearth of WR talent in most of those drafts.    

Go check the archives: I was actually one of the few who didn't bag on Sky Diver and instead said Foster would need to prove himself first before touting him as a superstar.  I later (rightfully) bagged-on Foster himself when his pre-demotion play warranted criticism.  But after getting back on the active roster and producing, I've been a big supporter of his and even commended Sky Diver on his prediction.  The kid showed immense improvement from the start of the season to the end and considering how raw he was/is, how buried he was on the depth chart all off-, pre- and most of the season and how hard he worked and is still working, I see big things for him going forward.  Brown and Beasley are going to be the complement to him.

And no the Bills aren't the only team with deep CB talent.  But they're among the best.

We are off topic a bit but - Foster was exposed to waivers early in the season, then spent time working with Allen and on the practice squad and somehow developed the ability to track the ball in the air.  I’ve been watching football for all my life and I’ve NEVER seen a receiver show so much improvement on tracking the long ball, so quickly.  It’s borderline unheard of.  The Bills themselves didn’t think he could do it which is why they put him on waivers.  So I guess kudos to SkyDiver and the rest of you who predicted, despite plenty of evidence to the contrary and the team’s own actions, that Foster would develop into something... but color me skeptical that it was anything more than a lucky guess.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

An elite talent/true #1 (and that's what Sammy's paid like) produces despite double-coverage (Sammy doesn't).  He also gets injured a lot (what's that saying: the best ability is availability?).  The Rams fared fine without him and the Chefs would too.

The Bills had a chance to add an elite talent in AB but given the way he acted with the Steelers, I was glad they came to their senses and didn't go through with it.  Some other #1 WR like Hopkins, Jones, even Green?  Sure, but they're not available.  Let the Bills develop their own potential elite talent in Foster without hindering him with AB's presence/AB getting pissy that someone else is taking his touches away.

And no the Bills aren't the only team with deep CB talent.  But they're among the best.

1) The Rams traded a first round pick for Brandin Cooks to replace Watkins and Tyreek Hill emerged as a superstar finishing 4th in the NFL in receiving yards and ypa and 3rd in receiving TD's among all WR's.........so those teams fared fine but not because they didn't have an elite talent at WR for their young QB.

2) Since you are declaring it so......can you actually rank the CB groups around the league?  Just the top 10 is fine since those would certainly be "among the best".   You don't follow the league very closely but you always argue like you do so guessing you won't be interested in backing up that yap.:thumbsup: 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) The Rams traded a first round pick for Brandin Cooks to replace Watkins and Tyreek Hill emerged as a superstar finishing 4th in the NFL in receiving yards and ypa and 3rd in receiving TD's among all WR's.........so those teams fared fine but not because they didn't have an elite talent at WR for their young QB.

2) Since you are declaring it so......can you actually rank the CB groups around the league?  Just the top 10 is fine since those would certainly be "among the best".   You don't follow the league very closely but you always argue like you do so guessing you won't be interested in backing up that yap.:thumbsup: 

1)  Yes and those #1's weren't Sammy.  He's a decoy.  Always has been, always will be.   And the only other shot at getting a #1 WR was AB and the Bills decided that his potential help to Josh wasn't worth the headache he stood a good likelihood of becoming.

2)  How about...#1 passing defense in the NFL by over 15 yards/game fewer than the next team?  Boom.

The funny thing is you think you think you know stuff and you get schooled by those who you think don't.  You should talk less and listen more.  But good luck with that.

Edited by Doc