David Culley (former Bills QB coach) gone- to Ravens

One Buffalo

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Bills couldn’t block it because it wasn’t a lateral move.. it was a promotion... it wouldnt be kosher to block it... he’s a great coach and I hope he becomes an OC one day soon

He was definitely good for Josh...

we need a good young hire here... sorry for all the Palmer fans but it definitely will not be him... being a private QB coach (guru) is a very good football job to have and he doesn’t have the pressure 

he can pick and chose who he wants to work with.

i really don’t see it happening but I would really like Brandon Streeter from Clemson... he is young and has worked with a some good young QBs in Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence 

He definitely will be rising the ranks sooner than later

I like this type of thinking.  A guy with proven success.  And it is definitely a guy who would take the job.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I like this type of thinking.  A guy with proven success.  And it is definitely a guy who would take the job.

I would love him on the staff but I’m not so sure he wants to leave Clemson yet... he has a nice job coaching Lawrence and said he’s not ready to leave yet

but coaching Allen is also a big positive 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would love him on the staff but I’m not so sure he wants to leave Clemson yet... he has a nice job coaching Lawrence and said he’s not ready to leave yet

Yeah, another good point.  He can ride Lawrence to a big time job.

im a hater I guess but I would stick with Lawrence over Allen at this point.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, another good point.  He can ride Lawrence to a big time job.

im a hater I guess but I would stick with Lawrence over Allen at this point.

A college Lawrence vs Allen in the AFC east...

its easy to see where the easiest road to promotion is

8 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

The two favorites:

Ken Dorsey

Connections to McDermott/Beane

Young 

Former QB 

App State assistant so it won't be too hard to pry him away

Jim Bob Cooter

Was Offensive Quality Control under Daboll in 2012 with the Chiefs

Young

Former QB

Experienced

Both make a ton of sense. I threw Rob Chudzinski's name out there in the Palmer thread as a guy with McDermott connections who was good for Cam Newton. I really like the idea of Dorsey. I think he'd be a great fit with Josh Allen. 

A college Lawrence vs Allen in the AFC east...

its easy to see where the easiest road to promotion is

Not so sure about that. I think Allen is still viewed as raw and Lawrence is considered a lock to be the top pick in the draft. How much is anyone really going to attribute that to Streeter? If he comes in and Allen has a great season, he's on the fast track. If you believe in Allen, you strongly consider the move. 

9 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

they had to give him that Assistant HC title I imagine so it would be seen as a promotion, otherwise they couldnt have interviewed him or would have to ask permission

I thought that they still had to get permission to interview any assistant that is currently under contract unless it's for a HC position. In fact, I think that they even have to ask for that but the other team can't reasonably withhold permission if it's for HC.

Edited by vincec

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hope so.  It’s so important for Allen.  Admittedly, I’m hesitate on Allen because of the way this franchise has handled young QBs in the past.  They gave EJ the Cuse first time OC as both his OC and QB coach his rookie year.  

Allen needs good coaching around him.  I think they screwed up last year when they kept only Peterman.  I’m also not sold on Daboll and think we could easily upgrade that.  But the QB coach should be a huge priority for such a raw guy.

Agree with a lot but I think youre wrong on Daboll.  The Pats had him tabbed as McDaniels replacement.  He also demonstrated the ability to adapt both at Bama and last season in Buf.  As we know all to well a lot of coordinators cant do that.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

11 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Not so sure about that. I think Allen is still viewed as raw and Lawrence is considered a lock to be the top pick in the draft. How much is anyone really going to attribute that to Streeter? If he comes in and Allen has a great season, he's on the fast track. If you believe in Allen, you strongly consider the move. 

There is not much downside in either... developing Allen would be a positive for any coach

but Lawrence wasn’t a top choice lock coming into his true Freshmen season... even if he was the best recruit in the country his college career could not have panned out... it happens... I didn’t think that would happen but it does....

Instead Streeter was his primary recruiter and locked at his hip all year and now Lawrence is the top choice lock and Streeter is looking like a future HC

he definitively deserves credit for keeping Lawrence so calm and collected all year and he also helped Deshaun Watson

whatever he does his track record is very good rn

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There is not much downside in either... developing Allen would be a positive for any coach

but Lawrence wasn’t a top choice lock coming into his true Freshmen season... even if he was the best recruit in the country his college career could not have panned out... it happens... I didn’t think that would happen but it does....

Instead Streeter was his primary recruiter and locked at his hip all year and now Lawrence is the top choice lock and Streeter is looking like a future HC

he definitively deserves credit for keeping Lawrence so calm and collected all year and he also helped Deshaun Watson

whatever he does his track record is very good rn

I don't disagree. I guess what I'm saying career wise is that it would be a higher risk/higher reward thing taking the Buffalo job. He may very well prefer college for all I know.

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't disagree. I guess what I'm saying career wise is that it would be a higher risk/higher reward thing taking the Buffalo job. He may very well prefer college for all I know.

He has said he doesn’t want to leave Clemson rn...

i said he was my pipedream candidate I would love... i unfortunately don’t see it happening

but developing Allen would be great for any QB coaches career

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

As far as I know, that isn't how it works. HC is promotion. Everything else is lateral.

This kind of makes me think this was an agreed upon thing by the Bills!

Or Culley read the tea leaves and figure Palmer is the guy Allen is getting his direction from not him.

3 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

This kind of makes me think this was an agreed upon thing by the Bills!

Or Culley read the tea leaves and figure Palmer is the guy Allen is getting his direction from not him.

Nah - once again it is a promotion - in terms of dollars and responsibility. Just because the league considers it “lateral” in terms of what the current team is able to block, doesn’t it make it any less of an opportunity for growth for Culley 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Started reading the thread at this point, saw Clemson coach who worked with Lawrence, thought you were suggesting bringing in JP!

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Started reading the thread at this point, saw Clemson coach who worked with Lawrence, thought you were suggesting bringing in JP!

He could definitely help josh Allen with his haircut game 

i hear thats why he’s on staff at Clemson... Lawrence loves his conditioner 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nah - once again it is a promotion - in terms of dollars and responsibility. Just because the league considers it “lateral” in terms of what the current team is able to block, doesn’t it make it any less of an opportunity for growth for Culley 

I get it, but my point is the Bills could have blocked it or offered Culley a similar position here if they wanted.  Makes me wonder if they were more on board with it and encouraged it.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I get it, but my point is the Bills could have blocked it or offered Culley a similar position here if they wanted.  Makes me wonder if they were more on board with it and encouraged it.

Andy Reid always helps his guys move on and I'm guessing Derm shares that philosophy. One good consequence is that guys may be more open to working for him.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

They didn’t have that type of position available. They don’t (like most teams) need a “passing game coordinator”. They have 2 positions available  -  WR coach and QB coach, both of which he’s already done. They certainly could have blocked it, but no reason to block a guy from a promotion. McD knew he had aspirations beyond QB coach when he hired him, and Culley gave him 2 years. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

For those who say the move doesn't help Culley's chances of becoming a head coach, think about this...

Josh made big improvements as the season went on this year, so Culley can take (at least partial) credit for that. And if Josh keeps getting better, well he helped lay the foundation. If Josh doesn't improve, well, it's because he left. And now he moves on to a team with another young, raw QB. Jackson may or may not become a franchise QB, but if he improves his passing under Culley  (which he should at least to some extent for the simple fact that he is young and raw), then Culley has "groomed" or done well with two, young, raw QBs. And he might get that "QB whisperer" tag. That type of tag can definitely lead to a head coaching gig for a team with a young QB or one planning to draft a young QB.

Plus he is basically a co-coordinator, which is less of a jump to HC than from QB coach. And the Asst Head Coaching title may seem almost honorary to us, like he just got it so its not a lateral move or to satisfy someone's stature in the league, etc. But it also says, another head coach in the league really wants this guy on his staff, enough to give him that extra title and it says, I'm going to lean on this guy. He will be in the upper level of planning. So, I would think it is not really a meaningless title in NFL or owner's circles.

Plus as others said, Baltimore is a much more high profile team than Buffalo. More press, more nationally televised games, etc.

After a year or two in Baltimore, especially if Jackson and the offense improves (the Ravens have traditionally not been a great offensive team), his standing in the league and possibly for a head coaching position will be much improved over deciding to stay in Buffalo as just the QB coach. Seems pretty obvious.