David Culley (former Bills QB coach) gone- to Ravens

One Buffalo

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The only issues I see with this are that Palmer probably could earn more and carve our more of a career with what he's doing now. He can take on multiple clients. Maybe he has no interest in being a QB coach. And he would actually get to spend less time with Allen per the CBA.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

Let's face it, guys...the Bills don't plan on Derek Anderson playing unless it's an emergency.  Barkley will be the backup.  Anderson is Allen's de facto QB coach next season.

I get your point but I’m not sure how I feel about that.  Coaching is a lot different than giving pointers as a player.  Allen badly needs a guy who has a track record of success working with Qbs.  It’s too important to just settle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I get your point but I’m not sure how I feel about that.  Coaching is a lot different than giving pointers as a player.  Allen badly needs a guy who has a track record of success working with Qbs.  It’s too important to just settle.

C. Biscuit, I haven’t always agreed with your takes, but I’m nominating this one for post of the day, so update that resume accordingly, lol. :beer:

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I like the Jordan Palmer idea.

Are we even sure Palmer is a good coach?  They are a ton of qb coaches and their main job is getting these guys ready for camps and combines.   But rarely do nfl teams ever hire them. 

Personally, I want a guy with proven nfl or at least high level college success.  We are hoping Daboll, a guy who has been a bottom 5 OC in the nfl almost every year, will get better.  Let’s not do the same thing with a qb coach.  It’s too important.

Joe Philbin as QB Coach/Passing Game coordinator as was GB OC from 2007-2011 and again last year.  Worked with a great QB (Rodgers) when he took over for Favre.

Per reports he interviewed with McD in the last month - albeit that was probably for O Line position.  Certainly qualified.

Edited by freddyjj

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Are we even sure Palmer is a good coach?  They are a ton of qb coaches and their main job is getting these guys ready for camps and combines.   But rarely do nfl teams ever hire them. 

Personally, I want a guy with proven nfl or at least high level college success.  We are hoping Daboll, a guy who has been a bottom 5 OC in the nfl almost every year, will get better.  Let’s not do the same thing with a qb coach.  It’s too important.

As said up thread, it's possible he doesn't even want to be an NFL coach. He's got multiple clients, can ask for loads of money. He's his own boss at the moment. If he takes a coaching job he'll get to spend less time with his client(it becomes basically one guy). He'll have to answer to the team and head coach.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

As said up thread, it's possible he doesn't even want to be an NFL coach. He's got multiple clients, can ask for loads of money. He's his own boss at the moment. If he takes a coaching job he'll get to spend more time with his clients. He'll have to answer to the team and head coach.

Good point.  It’s better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than speak and remove all doubt.  It’s why I think draft “experts” should never leave those jobs.  You can’t get fires if you miss on TV.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good point.  It’s better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than speak and remove all doubt.  It’s why I think draft “experts” should never leave those jobs.  You can’t get fires if you miss on TV.

He's got a seriously cushy job at the moment. No massive pressure and he doesn't have to answer to anyone except his clients. And yea your right, it's like draft pundits, they don't have to actually prove they can do the job.

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

He's got a seriously cushy job at the moment. No massive pressure and he doesn't have to answer to anyone except his clients. And yea your right, it's like draft pundits, they don't have to actually prove they can do the job.

He could have an awesome life and live on the beach.  I think people underestimate how much coaching kinda sucks, especially in the nfl.  You work insane hours only to probsbly get fires in a few years.

• Like (+1) 2

I just knew there'd be a few people saying Jordan Palmer. Keep in mind - he's worked with almost every QB worth a lick coming out of college for the past few seasons. And I have a feeling he will continue to. He's got a real cushy gig and no one even knows if he even wants to be an NFL coach. His business relationship with Josh Allen is no different than it has been with a number of other QBs coming into the league. What makes you think Josh is so special that Jordan is all of a sudden going to stop what he's doing to focus solely on him?

Edited by BillsFanForever19

20 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Joe Philbin as QB Coach/Passing Game coordinator as was GB OC from 2007-2011 and again last year.  Worked with a great QB (Rodgers) when he took over for Favre.

Per reports he interviewed with McD in the last month - albeit that was probably for O Line position.  Certainly qualified.

Actually it was never reported what it was for... could have been this. I am sure they knew this was in the works. Culley is taking Marty morninweg’s position and he was out awhile ago. 

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

A bit surprised he views Baltimore pass game coordinator as a stepping stone to a HC gig. Culley must be higher on LJax than most.

Its basically co-OC because Roman only does the run game. It was the same in Buffalo. They do co-OC’s in college, not so much in the pros, but that’s how I see his role given Roman’s past. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I just knew there'd be a few people saying Jordan Palmer. Keep in mind - he's worked with almost every QB worth a lick coming out of college for the past few seasons. And I have a feeling he will continue to. He's got a real cushy gig and no one even knows if he even wants to be an NFL coach. His business relationship with Josh Allen is no different than it has been with a number of other QBs coming into the league. What makes you think Josh is so special that Jordan is all of a sudden going to stop what he's doing to focus solely on him?

This keeps being said over and over.  I'm not disagreeing but I do have to question it.

During Palmers NFL career (7 seasons) he made a total of 2.2 million.

I know he takes on a few college QBs and has a few NFL QBs he is coaching (ala Allen).

My question would be how much do people think he makes doing this?

I guess I'm saying if private coaching is so lucrative, why doesn't the best QB coaches in the NFL do it?

I guess we all will find out soon.