David Culley (former Bills QB coach) gone- to Ravens

One Buffalo

Seeing as his history in coaching has mainly been as a WR coach & the fact that the Bills QB's haven't been all that productive in his time here McD probably wanted him to go back to being the WR coach with Robisky being fired .

I think Josh & the Bills will be better of with a new QB coach ! 

I remember a recent post saying something about Anderson being the QB coach as to open p a roster spot, now would be the perfect time for that to happen if they have that much faith in Anderson & how long it took him to get out of concussion protocol after the hit that really didn't look that bad !!

They could use the spot for another player & Anderson will more than likely be the #3 QB any way with Barkley resigned so why not ??

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Really easy if Culley doesn't see much in Allen, yes.  This just looks like a lateral positions coach hire, worded a bit creatively.

It's a stretch, to say the least, to think this move somehow positions Culley as HC candidate in the near term.

Oh I don't think anyone will hire him as a HC.

He's much too ***** old at this point.

But at that 63 years old..........a "virtual OC" gig with the AHC title for a better team.......and one that the entire league will be watching closely to see how they utilize Lamar Jackson........is a BIG step up in profile from being a QB coach in Buffalo.

If the Buffalo offense does well teams aren't going to bypass Brian Daboll to interview Culley..........they are going to go with the guy who was designing the offense and calling the plays.

If Culley were like 40 years old...... I *suppose* one could make the argument that it's wiser to follow Josh Allen for 2-3 years............but he ain't.

And it's not like Lamar Jackson sucks.........he's a promising young QB.........some might think on par or even better than Allen.

Culley needs to knock socks off to get a HC gig so this is probably the best "go big" shot he could get.

And we literally saw Anthony Lynn basically go this route..........with Tyrod Taylor at QB and Roman's playbook........and it worked........so there it is.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

This keeps being said over and over.  I'm not disagreeing but I do have to question it.

During Palmers NFL career (7 seasons) he made a total of 2.2 million.

I know he takes on a few college QBs and has a few NFL QBs he is coaching (ala Allen).

My question would be how much do people think he makes doing this?

I guess I'm saying if private coaching is so lucrative, why doesn't the best QB coaches in the NFL do it?

I guess we all will find out soon.

The Palmer family is loaded. Read that when Carson was still at USC.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, One Buffalo said:

Call me skeptical but the timing of this seems a little coincidental. It makes me wonder if the Bills were considering adding 

another QB coach and he saw the writing on wall.  Then again it is a promotion, so who knows?

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He came here to start rising the ranks and getting to a spot to be a head coach. 

If you're (not literally you) only comment about him was "but he has never been a QB coach" you really don't know a thing about how these coaching staffs work.  This a huge, underrated loss for us. 

It is really a huge loss though?  I feel like that’s quite the exaggeration. Based on what we saw from Allen this year, I think its safe to say that Cullen did a pretty good job.

But then again, we saw the most improvement from Allen after he was injured and got to work with Barkley and Anderson.

Is Culley a loss?  Maybe, but I don’t think it’s as big as you make it out to be.

Edited by BillyWhiteShows

21 minutes ago, eball said:

Culley wants to be a HC.  He ain't getting that shot in Buffalo, where McD has shown enough in two seasons that he is likely to be there at least a few more, and he ain't being promoted to OC.

I really don't know what Culley did here.  I never saw video of him working with Allen, and I never heard Allen specifically mention him when he was talking about learning how to be an NFL QB.  He mentioned Daboll and Anderson all the time.

I think Culley is just another old dude who has been around the league for a hundred years and is trying to find his best chance at landing a HC gig.  The Baltimore position gives him a higher profile.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yolo, this post turned me on to Culley.  It is the reason I started doing the research on him.  He is a good coach and a good offensive mind.  I really don't know what he did for us in the QB room, no one does, but I tend to believe that a guy with that kind of talent was important to this offense. 

The Bills couldn’t block it because it wasn’t a lateral move.. it was a promotion... it wouldnt be kosher to block it... he’s a great coach and I hope he becomes an OC one day soon

He was definitely good for Josh...

we need a good young hire here... sorry for all the Palmer fans but it definitely will not be him... being a private QB coach (guru) is a very good football job to have and he doesn’t have the pressure 

he can pick and chose who he wants to work with.

i really don’t see it happening but I would really like Brandon Streeter from Clemson... he is young and has worked with a some good young QBs in Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence 

He definitely will be rising the ranks sooner than later

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Bills couldn’t block it because it wasn’t a lateral move.. it was a promotion... he’s a great coach and I hope he becomes an OC one day soon

He was definitely good for Josh...

we need a good young hire here... sorry for all the Palmer fans but it definitely will not be him... being a private QB coach (guru) is a very good football job to have and he doesn’t have the pressure 

he can pick and chose who he wants to work with.

i really don’t see it happening but I would really like Brandon Streeter from Clemson... he is young and has worked with a some good young QBs in Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence 

He definitely will be rising the ranks sooner than later

It’s a promotion, but actually considered a lateral move by the league. All assistants are the same level regardless of role and can be blocked if under contract. Only interview that can’t be blocked is HC

Edited by YoloinOhio

Who they hire to replace Culley will be key. They need to get this hire right. 

Im hoping they get someone experienced in working with QBs. 

I dont care if McDermott goes with another young, hungry coach as long as he at least has some type of background as a QB or working with QBs.

I just don’t really want to see this treated as an entry level job, where they bring in someone with no real experience. Allen’s development is too important. I’d rather they wait than bring in someone just to fill the spot.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s actually considered a lateral move. All assistants are the same. Only interview that can’t blocked is HC

NFL teams can block other teams from snatching assistants. Lateral moves are blocked all the time 

its considered bad protocol to block a promotion

becoming assistant HC is a promotion. The Bills could’ve blocked it but it be a **** move

so when I said they couldn’t... they could but it’s not kosher

Edited by Buffalo716

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s a promotion, but actually considered a lateral move by the league. All assistants are the same level regardless of role and can be blocked if under contract. Only interview that can’t be blocked is HC

Yea I didn’t explain my OP perfectly... you can block it but it not professional to block the promotion To Assistant HC

6 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I think they have to give him the "Assistant" status.  Otherwise it would be a lateral move the Bills could block?

I could be wrong, but I think the NFL regards anything below HC as a 'lateral move'.

On the other hand, if you got a guy who wants to move up and become a HC and he gets the "assistant HC" title, there's not much point in blocking him - bad for morale.

Edit: I think that might be what @Buffalo716 means - no point in being a jerk to your people if one of them thinks he's been offered a step

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea I didn’t explain my OP perfectly... you can block it but it not professional to block the promotion To Assistant HC

Yes there are two things at play: Culley was offered a promotion. He’s basically a co-OC and AHC. He was only QB coach here. If they wanted to block him, which they  wouldn’t for reasons you stated, they technically could have because it’s a position other than HC. 

3 hours ago, eball said:

I'll admit I don't know, but my gut feeling is that a solid veteran QB on the roster is more useful to Allen than a QB coach, particularly during games and then in film review afterwards.  If there's a coach who solely focuses on QB mechanics that's a different story -- but I think that's what Josh is doing during the offseason.

Aaron freaking Rodgers got upset when they let their qb coach go without telling him.  It’s huge man.  Allen needs as many resources as possible.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I think the NFL regards anything below HC as a 'lateral move'.

On the other hand, if you got a guy who wants to move up and become a HC and he gets the "assistant HC" title, there's not much point in blocking him - bad for morale.

Edit: I think that might be what @Buffalo716 means - no point in being a jerk to your people if one of them thinks he's been offered a step

That was my point that I couldn’t articulate well... yes it was a blockable move... but Culley has been on record as wanting to be a HC one day soon 

It would be a bad look on the Bills to not let him pursue his dream and being Assistant HC is a right step 

Assistants around the league look at teams as places that hold them back or propel them forward. This is a class move that not all teams do