David Culley (former Bills QB coach) gone- to Ravens

One Buffalo

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Actually it was never reported what it was for... could have been this. I am sure they knew this was in the works. Culley is taking Marty morninweg’s position and he was out awhile ago. 

Its basically co-OC because Roman only does the run game. It was the same in Buffalo. They do co-OC’s in college, not so much in the pros, but that’s how I see his role given Roman’s past. 

I get your point, but still find it kind of interesting. By the way, the sharps are all over Ohio State tonight. Most likely gonna be a closer game than meets the eye.?

So, let's say you are the QB coach for the Buffalo Bills.

You think you are set to be tied at the hip to a fantastic young talent who is going to be the building block of the franchise for years to come. His name is Josh Allen.

And then you leave to go to the Baltimore Ravens?  

Hmmmmmmmm.

Edited by Nextmanup

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You think you set to be tied at the hip to a fantastic young talent who is going to be the building block of the franchise for years to come. His name is Josh Allen.

Hmmmmmmmm.

:thumbdown:

As an independent contractor "QB coach" he does not have to move and he can only "lose clients" rather than be fired from a team.  I'd think the money would have to be big to offset that.  But, if the Bills do not name a QB coach going up to the draft they could be waiting out this off season gig to name him their coach.  He can work with all the QBs he wants, including Josh without those odd CBA off season contact rules.

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

The two favorites:

Ken Dorsey

Connections to McDermott/Beane

Young 

Former QB 

App State assistant so it won't be too hard to pry him away

Jim Bob Cooter

Was Offensive Quality Control under Daboll in 2012 with the Chiefs

Young

Former QB

Experienced

Cooter's interesting as he seemed to do well in his first year as the Lions OC but then slowly fall apart. I'd welcome him because I know him as a name and he has worked with a big armed QB in the past (Stafford) and has time with Daboll. Yet if had to choose between him and Dorsey I think I'd take the latter.

11 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I get your point, but still find it kind of interesting. By the way, the sharps are all over Ohio State tonight. Most likely gonna be a closer game than meets the eye.?

? Game isn’t until 9 and i think Kaleb Wesson already picked up his 3rd foul. 

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You think you are set to be tied at the hip to a fantastic young talent who is going to be the building block of the franchise for years to come. His name is Josh Allen.

Hmmmmmmmm.

- John Harbaugh just signed a 4 year deal and the Ravens are a playoff team with a legit playoff roster right now.

- If Culley can team with Roman to help the Ravens graduate to being a more explosive offense then he could jump right into contention for a HC job.     Basically what Anthony Lynn did......it's just that Roman was fired........but they were running his offense.

This had to be a REALLY easy decision for Culley.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

- John Harbaugh just signed a 4 year deal and the Ravens are a playoff team with a legit playoff roster right now.

- If Culley can team with Roman to help the Ravens graduate to being a more explosive offense then he could jump right into contention for a HC job.     Basically what Anthony Lynn did......it's just that Roman was fired........but they were running his offense.

Except that he went from his career hinging on Josh Allen's success to his career hinging on Lamont Jackson's success.

I get taking the promotion and more $$ .... but I don't think he improved his situation at all.  The 2018 Ravens were a playoff team like the 2017 Bills were.

2 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I think they have to give him the "Assistant" status.  Otherwise it would be a lateral move the Bills could block?

The NFL sees all assistants at the same level.  Only when going to head coach does it matter.

I thought I read he wanted to get more into play calling so passing game coordinator may be the route.

43 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Hmmmmmmmm.

Take a look at who Josh Allen was always talking to & sitting with at team meetings-It was Daboll, not Culley.  

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Really easy if Culley doesn't see much in Allen, yes.  This just looks like a lateral positions coach hire, worded a bit creatively.

It's a stretch, to say the least, to think this move somehow positions Culley as HC candidate in the near term.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I get your point but I’m not sure how I feel about that.  Coaching is a lot different than giving pointers as a player.  Allen badly needs a guy who has a track record of success working with Qbs.  It’s too important to just settle.

I'll admit I don't know, but my gut feeling is that a solid veteran QB on the roster is more useful to Allen than a QB coach, particularly during games and then in film review afterwards.  If there's a coach who solely focuses on QB mechanics that's a different story -- but I think that's what Josh is doing during the offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Hmmmmmmmm.

Culley wants to be a HC.  He ain't getting that shot in Buffalo, where McD has shown enough in two seasons that he is likely to be there at least a few more, and he ain't being promoted to OC.

I really don't know what Culley did here.  I never saw video of him working with Allen, and I never heard Allen specifically mention him when he was talking about learning how to be an NFL QB.  He mentioned Daboll and Anderson all the time.

I think Culley is just another old dude who has been around the league for a hundred years and is trying to find his best chance at landing a HC gig.  The Baltimore position gives him a higher profile.