Is DT Gerald McCoy done in Tampa?

Tipster19

1 minute ago, Tipster19 said:

There’s currently 66 players signed by Buffalo. If the Bills use all 10 draft picks on players then that leaves 14 more spots on the roster to be filled with players. McCoy isn’t a lock to stay on Tampa’s roster. Here’s a player I would love to have and would help alleviate another position group before the draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/26/bruce-arians-keeps-using-the-word-if-regarding-gerald-mccoy/

I’d give a 4th

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Magnum Force said:

I think McCoy would be a great move.  He might not be the player he once was but still would make a positive impact here.

I like it.  And adding McCoy would really make BPA and/or a trade down easier by addressing DT position

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/29/2019 at 12:14 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

If our GM is planning for 2020 or 2021 then he should be fired today. It doesn't take multiple years to develop a roster to make a playoff run. All you need is a QB. After that you should contend every year or be shown the door. This idea of a 4 or 5 year rebuild has not occurred since the 1980s. Now, you get the QB and then you contend every year. The Bills' prior GMs never found the QB. Was Carolina a 5 year rebuild. No. They got Cam and they were in a Superbowl.  Same with Denver, KC, Seattle, and now LA. 

Beane got his QB and gave up tremendous resources to get him.  He gave away tons of talent to get his cap room. Now it is time to win. 

I don't think a 3 year rebuild is too much. A lot depends on where you start. Besides, his first 2 draft picks (Allen and Edmunds) have a long way to go and I don't know that Allen has what it takes to bring us the Lombardi trophy. He's an incredible scrambler, but his passing ability, m'eh.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I don't think a 3 year rebuild is too much. A lot depends on where you start. Besides, his first 2 draft picks (Allen and Edmunds) have a long way to go and I don't know that Allen has what it takes to bring us the Lombardi trophy. He's an incredible scrambler, but his passing ability, m'eh.

I do believe that your sole contribution to the board is consistent bashing of JA. Does it feel good?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

He's worth a 5th. He's likely to be released if the tepid comments about him by the GM mean anything in regards to production matching compensation.

Yeah they are probably holding onto him to see if he has some trade value during or after the draft.

$13M base salary makes him a tough sell to get draft pick compensation back, though.

On 1/29/2019 at 10:19 AM, richardb1952 said:

$13 million for a soon to be 31 yr old DT.  His salary has no dead cap.  Give TB a 7th rounder and take over his contract.  He is a little expensive but his contract could be dropped at any time.  For the cost of a 7th rounder, he could help solidify a pretty good DL.  On the other side, there will be a lot of talented DLs in this draft that can be had at pick 9 for a lot less money.  If Bills want to use the 9th pick on a position other than DL, McCoy might prove to be a valuable option as they look to fortify other holes on the team.

You must be a good writer.  I said the same thing last week (but said a 5th) and people thought I was goofy because ‘Tampa would never let him go for only a 5th’. 

But I like your idea better.  A 7th sounds great,  but if need be, I’d go with as much as a 4th.  His rotation would be a little lighter with us so I think we could see 2 solid years out of the guy.

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

This is year 3 for McD

I would be all for adding Gerald McCoy. He would fill a position of need and is a great fit, culture wise. Plus he’s still a hell of a player. 

I have been a big fan of his ever since I watched him on Hard Knocks. Love his personality. Seems like a genuinely good person, too. He does a lot for charities and the Tampa community. 

I would rather go younger at DT with pick 9. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't hate picking up McCoy but I think the team needs a young pass rusher to build the front 4 around for years to come not a player they are trying to squeeze 2 good years out of. Granted you could trade a late rounder for McCoy and go Edge rusher at pick 9 but I think the value is much better and the need much greater along the interior pass rushing side of things. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/1/2019 at 10:26 PM, RocCityRoller said:

Hey Aussie Joe. Nice to have a civil discussion and difference of opinion. Are you from Australia or have links to it?

To be fair a guy like Gerald McCoy is not going to sign for peanuts. This is probably his last chance at a big contract. I could see him being a great fit for a team like Pittsburgh, KC or Indy. Teams that can win it all next year by adding a player or two on the defense. Our beloved Bills are a couple of years away.

I'm a fan of rolling over free cap and bringing in 2-3 rookie classes with a new GM and see what you have before spending high money on 30+ guys who are short term solutions.

Beane has only had one draft to let his work out.

I'd rather have guys approaching 30 in 2-3 yrs than 30-32 now.

IMO its a better way to build a team if OBD thinks they have the QB in place.

We will have to see what OBD thinks.

I've been a fan of Gerald McCoy, terrific DT. I just don't think he's the right guy right now for Buffalo.

Good post but there is a counter argument to consider.  Allen is obviously on his rookie contract, so there's a theory that you do sign guys like McCoy so that you try to win while your QB is inexpensive.  Maybe you don't win the super bowl but you build everything around winning for the QB and that includes a defense that can support his mistakes and also get him the ball back sooner/more often.  Then if Allen becomes the QB we all hope, he's going to cost 35-40 mil.  Then you can't sign as many guys like McCoy and those contracts begin to expire - but your QB is ready to win with less help.   

Edited by White Linen
  • Like (+1) 2

On 3/27/2019 at 9:26 AM, White Linen said:

Good post but there is a counter argument to consider.  Allen is obviously on his rookie contract, so there's a theory that you do sign guys like McCoy so that you try to win while your QB is inexpensive.  Maybe you don't win the super bowl but you build everything around winning for the QB and that includes a defense that can support his mistakes and also get him the ball back sooner/more often.  Then if Allen becomes the QB we all hope, he's going to cost 35-40 mil.  Then you can't sign as many guys like McCoy and those contracts begin to expire - but your QB is ready to win with less help.  

Good point. I don't see him worth the $$ he will command at this point of his career. Maybe a slight improvement at DT than what the Bills have, but I'd rather draft a DT in a deep DT draft and spend elsewhere.

We differ in opinion.