Is DT Gerald McCoy done in Tampa?

Tipster19

He is likely to be a cap casualty.  He is still a very good player. Bean won't be interested, if he is looking for big money and a longer term contract.  Realistically, Bean appears to be constructing the team to make a run in 2020 and 2021.  McCoy's best years will be behind him by that time.  As much as I like McCoy as a player, I don't expect it to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

$13 million for a soon to be 31 yr old DT.  His salary has no dead cap.  Give TB a 7th rounder and take over his contract.  He is a little expensive but his contract could be dropped at any time.  For the cost of a 7th rounder, he could help solidify a pretty good DL.  On the other side, there will be a lot of talented DLs in this draft that can be had at pick 9 for a lot less money.  If Bills want to use the 9th pick on a position other than DL, McCoy might prove to be a valuable option as they look to fortify other holes on the team.

• Like (+1) 11

He is the prototypical 4-3 DT and will be a good fit for the Bills.

TB cant wait to get rid of him since he is a misfit in a 3-4 alongside Vita Vea. 

So I would like TB to sweeten the pot by offering us a 3rd rounder for us to take him on and relieve them of 13 million cap drain. They are severely cap constrained. Will be like the Osweiler trade to the Browns.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On the fence with my feelings on this.

McCoy was a beast 5-6 years ago and has lately shown a drop in production that does not justify his salary. Only McBeane can determine whether a one year rental at 13 mil and the cost of a draft pick is worth it. Could be one of those "change of scenery" might do him good. Very deep draft for DTs though. For a team on the cusp, maybe. 

6 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

TB cant wait to get rid of him since he is a misfit in a 3-4 alongside Vita Vea. 

So I would like TB to sweeten the pot by offering us a 3rd rounder for us to take him on and relieve them of 13 million cap drain. They are severely cap constrained. Will be like the Osweiler trade to the Browns.

You want the Bucs to pay us for taking a 6x Pro Bowler and All-pro? I understand he's making 13 mil but some team will gladly take that on and offer a pick for a player of his caliber. The Browns are supposedly going to make a push for him and I'm sure others will be lined up.

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

You want the Bucs to pay us for taking a 6x Pro Bowler and All-pro? I understand he's making 13 mil but some team will gladly take that on and offer a pick for a player of his caliber. The Browns are supposedly going to make a push for him and I'm sure others will be lined up.

Of course the price will be market determined. So if there is major demand for his services, we should just pass. Consistent with your post, I dont want the Bills to spend 13 mill for a 1-year rental on an ageing DT when we are more than one piece away. And you are right that he would be a good fit in a Steve Wilks defense for the Browns.

While I may be wrong, I think you are overestimating the market for an ageing scheme specific DT (his past exploits do not have a bearing). And as I said, if it is a hot market for him - then the Bills should just pass on him. 

24 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

$13 million for a soon to be 31 yr old DT.  His salary has no dead cap.  Give TB a 7th rounder and take over his contract.  He is a little expensive but his contract could be dropped at any time.  For the cost of a 7th rounder, he could help solidify a pretty good DL.  On the other side, there will be a lot of talented DLs in this draft that can be had at pick 9 for a lot less money.  If Bills want to use the 9th pick on a position other than DL, McCoy might prove to be a valuable option as they look to fortify other holes on the team.

His veteran leadership would also fill a little of the Kyle Williams void.  If he can still play at a high level, I'd give up a little more than a 7th.

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Of course the price will be market determined. So if there is major demand for his services, we should just pass. Consistent with your post, I dont want the Bills to spend 13 mill for a 1-year rental on an ageing DT when we are more than one piece away. And you are right that he would be a good fit in a Steve Wilks defense for the Browns.

While I may be wrong, I think you are overestimating the market for an ageing scheme specific DT (his past exploits do not have a bearing). And as I said, if it is a hot market for him - then the Bills should just pass on him. 

Given how quickly the cap has risen and how many teams have QBs on low $ deals, I think the market is going to be hot for just about everyone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

He is likely to be a cap casualty.  He is still a very good player. Bean won't be interested, if he is looking for big money and a longer term contract.  Realistically, Bean appears to be constructing the team to make a run in 2020 and 2021.  McCoy's best years will be behind him by that time.  As much as I like McCoy as a player, I don't expect it to happen.

If our GM is planning for 2020 or 2021 then he should be fired today. It doesn't take multiple years to develop a roster to make a playoff run. All you need is a QB. After that you should contend every year or be shown the door. This idea of a 4 or 5 year rebuild has not occurred since the 1980s. Now, you get the QB and then you contend every year. The Bills' prior GMs never found the QB. Was Carolina a 5 year rebuild. No. They got Cam and they were in a Superbowl.  Same with Denver, KC, Seattle, and now LA. 

Beane got his QB and gave up tremendous resources to get him.  He gave away tons of talent to get his cap room. Now it is time to win. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

There's simply no chance this would happen. The Bucs get out of his entire contract for free by cutting him; there's zero incentive for them to attach draft picks to unload him.

I'm not entirely convinced the Bills should sink even more money into the DT position, but McCoy would be an upgrade over Kyle Williams in the very least. If Buffalo is in fact interested, I think they should send a Day 3 pick to Tampa for him as another poster mentioned. The contract is structured in a way that is probably significantly better than Buffalo would be able to sign him to in free agency anyways so a trade would be the preferred route here IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

If our GM is planning for 2020 or 2021 then he should be fired today. It doesn't take multiple years to develop a roster to make a playoff run. All you need is a QB. After that you should contend every year or be shown the door. This idea of a 4 or 5 year rebuild has not occurred since the 1980s. Now, you get the QB and then you contend every year. The Bills' prior GMs never found the QB. Was Carolina a 5 year rebuild. No. They got Cam and they were in a Superbowl.  Same with Denver, KC, Seattle, and now LA. 

Beane got his QB and gave up tremendous resources to get him.  He gave away tons of talent to get his cap room. Now it is time to win. 

If all the Bills were missing was a QB, I would agree with you. Unfortunately, the rest of the roster is pretty thin.  I hope you are correct but I don't see it happening.  I keep reading that Beane is building for sustained success.  That indicates to me that he will not go after high cost, high impact free agents in order to make a serious run to the Super Bowl.  He doesn't seem inclined to jump to short term solutions that jeopardize long term success.  I don't necessarily like that approach but it appears to me that this is the approach that he is taking.

By the way, the tremendous talent he gave up (Darius, Glenn, and Taylor) didn't do much in the league this season and would not have changed Buffalo's season either.

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

There's simply no chance this would happen. The Bucs get out of his entire contract for free by cutting him; there's zero incentive for them to attach draft picks to unload him.

I'm not entirely convinced the Bills should sink even more money into the DT position, but McCoy would be an upgrade over Kyle Williams in the very least. If Buffalo is in fact interested, I think they should send a Day 3 pick to Tampa for him as another poster mentioned. The contract is structured in a way that is probably significantly better than Buffalo would be able to sign him to in free agency anyways so a trade would be the preferred route here IMO.

Umm. I think you are right - i thought 13 mill was guaranteed, but apparently it is not. My bad folks.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/gerald-mccoy-6512/

So if they can just cut him - clearly they wont give up compensation. But I will pass on 13 million for a 1 year rental. That said, he may be available (since TB will cut him) at a reduced rate - maybe we should consider signing him to a Kyle Williams like contract.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

His veteran leadership would also fill a little of the Kyle Williams void.  If he can still play at a high level, I'd give up a little more than a 7th.

If they make a play for McCoy,then they should break off talks with Jordan Phillips.Between McCoy and Star=20 million.

I laugh when I see posts about stealing other players for little to nothing, and they think it's possible.  I bet these are the same people that thought getting a 2 or 3 for McCoy was possible, and thought 5-6 round pick was ridiculous.  

If available, I'd make a full push for this guy.  They need to start spending money.  Might as well get a proven commodity that fits the scheme. 

Edited by YodaMan79
  • Thank you (+1) 1