If we stay at 9, the only player I’d really be happy with is...

NewEra

On 1/29/2019 at 1:58 AM, NewEra said:

Ed Oliver. We could line him up anywhere along the DL and let him wreak havoc.  Impact player.  

No chance Bosa, Q Williams or Josh Allen will be there.  

Anyone else isnt worth not trading down for ino.  The tackle options are solid, yet wouldn’t be BPA imo.  The DTs other than Oliver are good but not spectacular in my current opinion.  Ferrell could be the only other guy I could get excited about but would still rather trade down.  Devin Bush or Devin White?  Great player but plays a position I think we may be set in.  Unless they wanted the luxury of playing Edmunds at SLB and Bush/white ILB, Milano WLB.  Ehhh. 

Is there just ONE guy that you’re focusing on and hope that we get?  

I don't think Oliver will be available at #9 . I see Tampa at #5 being his spot.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:10 AM, Cripple Creek said:

Not comparing talent, only weight...Aaron Donald has made a nice living moving up and down the d-line at around 280 lbs.

For sure. I'm a big fan of Oliver, but when comparing him to Donald, you have to keep in mind that Donald is probably the freakiest athlete to ever play his position. Oliver may be close, but even his biggest supporters in the scouting circles won't say outright that he's the next Aaron Donald. 

That being said, a lot of his college highlights actually came in the run game, as in his insane amounts of TFL. I think Oliver would be an absolute steal at 9. 

Not Process.

he isnt Aaron Donald. Pass.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:49 PM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

NO... at this point, it's who I DON'T WANT... and that's Oliver. I did not like his childish stunt on the sideline over a jacket, combined with the fact we don't need to draft a DL so damn high. Anyone but that guy...

Amen  brother!

Its really hard to get ones personal favorite. It really comes down who you don't want. For me that is Oliver and Marquise Brown.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:50 PM, formerlyofCtown said:

Aaron Donald is 6'1" 280.  What type of 280 is it.  Is he riped.

Sorry but that doesnt bother me much.  I want Suh not McCargo.

its not about the jacket but the willful disobedience and disrespect on the sideline for all to see. If the coach cant command his team he is done. Oliver doesn't fit this team.

41 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

its not about the jacket but the willful disobedience and disrespect on the sideline for all to see. If the coach cant command his team he is done. Oliver doesn't fit this team.

Maybe not or maybe that dumb*** coach needed to get more jackets.

• 1 month later...

Almost 3 months later.  Lots and lots of game tape reviewed.  Hundreds of scouting reports read.  Learned lots from everyone here at TSW.  

But my initial impression was spot on.  If Ed Oliver is available, take him.  If not, do your best to trade down into the mid to high teens.  Preferably not lower and if we do, make sure we get a 1st rd pick this year or both of the raiders or packers 1st rd picks this year.

There are 5 elite players in this draft.  Quinnen Williams, Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, Devin White and Ed Oliver.  I’d like to position ourselves to get one of the above. At this point, I think there’s a 5% chance one of the 5 falls to 9.  Most wouldn’t want to give up a 1st next year or even 40 this year to trade up, so we have to hope one of them falls to 7 and we can give up our 3rd +.  

All unlikely.  Just hours away and at this point, we have to get really lucky and hope someone slips.  If not, Beane would really win me over if he can grab an extra 2nd and move down a few spots.  I realize that many here have been saying this for months.  As have I.  

Oliver is the guy. It's so perfect that it's crazy. Outside of Oliver I am intrigued by TJ Hockenson. Obviously I love Bosa, Williams, Allen but those seem unrealistic.I would be disappointed with most other outcomes. I'd be okay with Christian Wilkins and I think he will go higher than a lot of people think. I could sell myself on Jonah Williams or Jawaan Taylor. I love Dalton Risner and think he'd be perfect in a trade down.  

On 1/29/2019 at 2:23 PM, GunnerBill said:

They are 31 and 36. And this is a terrific class. And it is the second most important position on the team after QB. And I don't think the depth behind those two is solid at all. I think it is not good enough. Shaq is a good player but his strengths are not rushing the passer and Trent Murphy looks injured even when he is not. 

Someone would have to be blind not to see this. Hughes is still above average, and he would benefit from a better DT and improved edge help. Murphy and Lawson are not the answer. The Bills need Lorax's successor as well.

Edited by Rocket94

One thing I am a little confused about.  I keep reading that if no one is available at 9 we should trade back to get more picks and not overreach at 9.

If there is no one worth drafting at 9, who exactly is going to trade up to get a pick that is not worth a 9th pick?  Why are there all these assumptions that we will find a trading partner who will trade value to get to 9?  The only way that happens is if there is some kind of run on quarterbacks.  That seems increasingly unlikely. 

I guess the best hope is Daniel Snyder.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:28 AM, NewEra said:

Ed Oliver. We could line him up anywhere along the DL and let him wreak havoc.  Impact player.  

No chance Bosa, Q Williams or Josh Allen will be there.  

Anyone else isnt worth not trading down for ino.  The tackle options are solid, yet wouldn’t be BPA imo.  The DTs other than Oliver are good but not spectacular in my current opinion.  Ferrell could be the only other guy I could get excited about but would still rather trade down.  Devin Bush or Devin White?  Great player but plays a position I think we may be set in.  Unless they wanted the luxury of playing Edmunds at SLB and Bush/white ILB, Milano WLB.  Ehhh. 

Is there just ONE guy that you’re focusing on and hope that we get?  

Which means Oliver is unlikely to be there at 9...just like Bosa, Williams and Allen!!

7 minutes ago, Yoho said:

One thing I am a little confused about.  I keep reading that if no one is available at 9 we should trade back to get more picks and not overreach at 9.

If there is no one worth drafting at 9, who exactly is going to trade up to get a pick that is not worth a 9th pick?  Why are there all these assumptions that we will find a trading partner who will trade value to get to 9?  The only way that happens is if there is some kind of run on quarterbacks.  That seems increasingly unlikely. 

I guess the best hope is Daniel Snyder.

I guess it will be for a QB.  Otherwise, no trade up is going to happen for "Not worth at 9" players !!!!

If you consider Bosa / Williams / Allen to be unrealistic, I'm really hoping for Oliver, White or a trade down.

Basically echo what NewEra said.  I think there's 5 "blue chip" guys and would love to get one of them (willing to trade up to do it, I'm more willing to give up pick 40 if we get a ~4th back than most).  Absent those 5 guys, we are likely to get the same level player at 9 as at ~15.

4 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Which means Oliver is unlikely to be there at 9...just like Bosa, Williams and Allen!!

I guess it will be for a QB.  Otherwise, no trade up is going to happen for "Not worth at 9" players !!!!

Yes. Read the post that isn’t from January. 

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If you consider Bosa / Williams / Allen to be unrealistic, I'm really hoping for Oliver, White or a trade down.

Basically echo what NewEra said.  I think there's 5 "blue chip" guys and would love to get one of them (willing to trade up to do it, I'm more willing to give up pick 40 if we get a ~4th back than most).  Absent those 5 guys, we are likely to get the same level player at 9 as at ~15.

Amen!

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/25/2019 at 6:19 AM, NewEra said:

You still don’t believe this do you? ?

No. But thanks for the reminder.:D I was really high on Ferrell before the poking, prodding, and digging of the draft process. I still think he's got a chance to be a very good player, but I ultimately viewed him as a mid to late first. The more I read of Oliver and the role he was asked to play at Houston, the more I was interested. In retrospect, it's really not a surprise he and the coach had some issues.

It was obviously a shock when Oakland took Ferrell at 4, but the Raiders gonna RaIder.

VERY happy with the Oliver selection.

Edited by LSHMEAB

41 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

No. But thanks for the reminder.:D I was really high on Ferrell before the poking, prodding, and digging of the draft process. I still think he's got a chance to be a very good player, but I ultimately viewed him as a mid to late first. The more I read of Oliver and the role he was asked to play at Houston, the more I was interested. In retrospect, it's really not a surprise he and the coach had some issues.

It was obviously a shock when Oakland took Ferrell at 4, but the Raiders gonna RaIder.

VERY happy with the Oliver selection.

Mayock agreed with you!!!  THANK GOD!!

• Thank you (+1) 1