I miss that Son of a Bum

wade-phillips-1.jpg

here's to hoping he can get as much out of his defense sunday as he did back in 2016.

Both as a head coach and defensive coordinator, Tom Brady has had some ups and downs vs Wade Phillip’s defenses

Brady is coming into Super Bowl 53 with a 6-3 record vs. Phillips, with 21 touchdowns to 7 interceptions to go along with 2,681 yards and a 91.2 rating. Brady has also been sacked 18 times in those nine games.

The last time the two squared off in the playoffs, Phillips was able to slow Brady down in the 2016 AFC Championship game in Denver where Brady completed just 48% of his passes and thew two interceptions as well as being sacked four times.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Senator said:

Yeah, it’s well known - or at least believed - that benching Flutie was Ralph’s call.

You stand up to Ralph and say Flutie got us to the playoffs. He's  starting.  Not that clown that we over traded for. He had an opportunity to do the right thing. And he didn't. That whole decision reeked of bad karma.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You stand up to Ralph and say Flutie got us to the playoffs. He's  starting.  Not that clown that we over traded for. He had an opportunity to do the right thing. And he didn't. That whole decision reeked of bad karma.

Yeah well, you’re probably right.  Trading for Rob Johnson on the basis of one good performance was a stupid move anyway.

But Wade DID stand up to Ralph when Wade refused to fire a few assistant coaches, and it got Wade fired.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

59 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Yeah well, you’re probably right.  Trading for Rob Johnson on the basis of one good performance was a stupid move anyway.

But Wade DID stand up to Ralph when Wade refused to fire a few assistant coaches, and it got Wade fired.

Don't get me wrong, I was a big Flutie fan and I wasn't all in on Robbery Johnson wither, but ...

I've always thought that Doug was brought in, kind of as a gimmick.  A small but flashy QB that would draw the crowds down from because attendance was slipping.  

Good enough to get Wins but not  good enough to win in the Post Season. 

The Music City rip off was a travesty in and of itself.   Whi knows what would have happened to RJ's career had the Bills won that game.  

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Don't get me wrong, I was a big Flutie fan and I wasn't all in on Robbery Johnson wither, but ...

I've always thought that Doug was brought in, kind of as a gimmick.  A small but flashy QB that would draw the crowds down from because attendance was slipping.  

Good enough to get Wins but not  good enough to win in the Post Season. 

The Music City rip off was a travesty in and of itself.   Whi knows what would have happened to RJ's career had the Bills won that game.  

I still have my Flutie jersey, and two boxes of Flutie Flakes! ?

18 hours ago, buffalobillswin said:

He still gets a lot of hate for being the one to bench Flutie for Johnson in the 99 WC game even though it's been said by multiple people it wasn't his decision. 

This is why he's not HC material. While he knows the X's and O's the HC job requires more than that. While the rumors seem to be true that it was Ralph's decision, someone more fitting for a HC position would have had the guts to make the decision he felt was best for the team. 

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

People forget we traded a 1st and a 4th for a qb based on playing 1 game. That's the definition of stupidity.  I never cared too much about the assistant coach support but the team was lost when Wade caved in to a meddling Ralph. Meddling owners need to let their HC's coach.  Wade was a good guy, there's no doubt to that, but unfortunately his legacy will always be tainted by the Flutie decision.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:29 PM, BoccesOnTransit said:

Some more:

For this week, GO RAMS!

That''s awesome !! To bad some in B/lo didn't have a clue how good a coach he was when he was here !! 

I wish i could say i was routing for him but i can't given what happened to the Saints !!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

You're right about the firing but I think there was a lot of friction with Ralph too.

No doubt. I'm sure Ralph telling him who to start at QB put things on edge and then his insistence on managing his coaching staff pushed him over it. He was right about the ST coach though.