Center longevity

TroutDog

https://apnews.com/63008a82a936447da11e631ea259d78c

Some might argue the center is the most indispensable player on the roster — the player who mans the only position guaranteed to touch the ball on every play. He calls the shots for the offensive line and begins each play.

But an Associated Press analysis revealed that despite their unique skill set, it was centers — not running backs, linebackers or defensive backs — who were becoming more endangered more quickly than players at any other position . In 2009, the average center had six years in the league. This season, the average center had four years of experience.”

We experiences this first hand. 

I still think the Center is the key O-Line position or at least equal to the Left Tackle.  I can not explain the reduction in years of service without some further analysis, but is it possible that some experienced centers retired over the last couple of years, thus reducing the avg years of service?  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

I still think the Center is the key O-Line position or at least equal to the Left Tackle.  I can not explain the reduction in years of service without some further analysis, but is it possible that some experienced centers retired over the last couple of years, thus reducing the avg years of service?  

It discusses how hard it is to find one. The complexity of the position coupled with the wear and tear. 

If if you can’t find a really good one, it leads to turnover. It’s the anchor of the line and we definitively need an upgrade there in my opinion. 

I think as a fanbase we undervalued Wood.  He was fantastic at his position and we sorely missed him.  Each position on the line is important so I don't like to say "most important".  However if I had to, I'd say Center and the tackles are 1A and 1B and guards are second. 

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I think as a fanbase we undervalued Wood.  He was fantastic at his position and we sorely missed him.  Each position on the line is important so I don't like to say "most important".  However if I had to, I'd say Center and the tackles are 1A and 1B and guards are second. 

I think that we saw Wood for exactly what he was - a good player and team leader.  He did make 1 Pro Bowl but most of the time he was a notch below the elite Centers in the league.

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

https://apnews.com/63008a82a936447da11e631ea259d78c

Some might argue the center is the most indispensable player on the roster — the player who mans the only position guaranteed to touch the ball on every play. He calls the shots for the offensive line and begins each play.

But an Associated Press analysis revealed that despite their unique skill set, it was centers — not running backs, linebackers or defensive backs — who were becoming more endangered more quickly than players at any other position . In 2009, the average center had six years in the league. This season, the average center had four years of experience.”

We experiences this first hand. 

Yawn... is this a real trend or did a few rookie centers come in and a few old ones hang em up? 

9 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I think that we saw Wood for exactly what he was - a good player and team leader.  He did make 1 Pro Bowl but most of the time he was a notch below the elite Centers in the league.

I’d agree with this. At this point, however, I’d take above average!

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yawn... is this a real trend or did a few rookie centers come in and a few old ones hang em up? 

That’s not it as the article states. 

19 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Totally agree.  Losing him along with Incognito, and Glenn really put the OL in a shambles.  I liked Wood and he certainly wasn't a liability as were Groy and Bodine.  Still wonder why Groy didn't perform better when finally given the opportunity.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Kent was so good.

My God, he was so good.  We were spoiled at the position from 86 to 96.

Donuts, just take a look at his obit--he was an even better person off the field by all accounts of his teammates. Life and soul of the O-line.

http://www.legacy.com/ns/kent-hull-obituary/154203981

• Awesome! (+1) 1

You're all probably tired of me saying it, but this is exactly why I think Bradbery is a good consideration at 9. It is vital to have an anchor in the middle, and getting the right person could solve that problem for 10+ years.

5 hours ago, White Linen said:

I didnt undervalue him.  I argued with a lot of posters on the subject.

14 hours ago, CSBill said:

You're all probably tired of me saying it, but this is exactly why I think Bradbery is a good consideration at 9. It is vital to have an anchor in the middle, and getting the right person could solve that problem for 10+ years.

I love Bradbury, but he’s not a top ten talent. He’s not noticeably scheme versatile, and he can struggle a bit with the higher talent NTs. He also played on a line that was talented across the board. Stat of note; Clemson’s front seven had 0 sacks against the wolfpack. The only sack came on a corner blitz. It’s likely that 4-5 guys on that o-line find their way into the nfl. 

I can see Bradbury going in the late teens where talent and need line up. The guy isn’t transcendent though, which an interior o lineman needs to be when cracking the top ten. If we trade back Bradbury may be in play. 

Sort of on-topic: John Sullivan, the Rams center, went to the middle school where I work. He stops by every now and then to say hello... a real nice, down-to-earth guy. It's a bit of a long-shot, but I hope he gets a Super Bowl ring to show us the next time he's in town.

10 years ago it used to be that LT was the top position along the O-line and was by far the most expensive position to secure while RT was a distant second and the interior players were viewed as pretty easy to find. Now its a different story. Defenses are rushing the QB along all positions along the edge and interior. College football is not turning out NFL ready linemen at a high rate due to changes in the college football game. So now all offensive line positions are hard to find and very important. I would still say that LT is the highest premium but the gap has shrunken considerably. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

10 years ago it used to be that LT was the top position along the O-line and was by far the most expensive position to secure while RT was a distant second and the interior players were viewed as pretty easy to find. Now its a different story. Defenses are rushing the QB along all positions along the edge and interior. College football is not turning out NFL ready linemen at a high rate due to changes in the college football game. So now all offensive line positions are hard to find and very important. I would still say that LT is the highest premium but the gap has shrunken considerably. 

Actually most feel the importance of the line positions are LT, C and then it's debatable but RT and then the G positions. 

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Actually most feel the importance of the line positions are LT, C and then it's debatable but RT and then the G positions. 

10 years ago it used to be that RT was the second most important position along the O-line because most of the pass rushing pressure was from edge rushers. Most interior D-line players 10 years ago were rush defenders or guys pushing up the pocket eating up sacks via QB's stepping up from the edge rush. Now I think LT is still the premium position but by less of a margin. I think all the other positions RT, C, and G have about equal value. 

I think it is hard to find good centers. I think the turnover has less to do with injury and more to do with the fact that the good ones are hard to find. The really excellent ones, Mack, Kelce, Unger guys like that, are still going and have long careers. You can find serviceable centers like Russell Bodine anywhere. They simply don't get long contracts and then teams draft a new one. The talented ones stick around because teams commit to them.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think it is hard to find good centers. I think the turnover has less to do with injury and more to do with the fact that the good ones are hard to find. The really excellent ones, Mack, Kelce, Unger guys like that, are still going and have long careers. You can find serviceable centers like Russell Bodine anywhere. They simply don't get long contracts and then teams draft a new one. The talented ones stick around because teams commit to them.  

Yes! You nailed it! And we are definitively in the market now. Got to build the line from the inside out. 

It has become such a critical position, gaining more and more importance, particularly with a young QB. 

• Like (+1) 1