Chris Trapasso Mock Draft: Bills take DT Ed Oliver

YoloinOhio

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-josh-allen-goes-no-1-overall-to-cardinals-kyler-murray-to-dolphins/

Josh Allen goes #1 to Arizona 

BUF.png

Ed Oliver, DT, Houston. Receiver is a bigger need. But Kyle Williams' retirement leaves a job opening for the role of penetrating defensive tackle. Oliver isn't as polished as Aaron Donald was when he entered the league out of Pittsburgh in 2014 ... but he has eerily similar athletic talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

Trapasso had Mason Rudolph as his QB1 last year.

That guy needs to sit a few plays out or better yet, find a new industry.

This is a mock draft, not his big board

24 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

He is a monster who has been capable of disrupting offenses, that is for certain. 

I really like Oliver. He’s compared to Aaron Donald a lot and I think that might be setting expectations a bit high, but he’s a similar player. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

For the record, I'd be happy with this.  He is very talented, and at one point considered a top 3 pick before his run in with Major Applewhite.  I prefer OL or WR, but if Oliver is on the board at 9, he is the BPA in my opinion.  

I just re-watched some of his highlights just for a refresher, and man can that guy move for a guy his size.  He is fast off the ball and relentless in his pursuit.  He would absolutely make this Defense better and be fun to watch at the same time.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is a mock draft, not his big board

I really like Oliver. He’s compared to Aaron Donald a lot and I think that might be setting expectations a bit high, but he’s a similar player. 

I agree. While an edge rusher is the sexier pick, Oliver has been a force. His knee issue shouldn’t be a factor. 

As with all picks there there is a chance he won’t hold up to his draft status but Oliver has excelled at every level. In addition, with our D being so poor against the run at times he should be a major help in that area (so long as we can somehow learn to set the edge). 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I always hate when they compare a player to a recent all-pro.  Makes you worry that a team may get stuck on that and not evaluate the prospect themselves.  I think Oliver is a beast though.  I dont believe he will be there at 9.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Just don’t take away his jacket!!!!

Yeah, is he a firecracker or was that one foolish incident? He is the same size as Nkemdiche. Both were considered top overall picks at points in their college careers. 

I see the talent but this seems like a boom or bust selection. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s compared to Aaron Donald a lot and I think that might be setting expectations a bit high, but he’s a similar player. 

At this pace, Aaron Donald will go down as one of, if not the greatest interior defensive lineman EVER.

Yeah, I'd say the bar is a bit high.

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

At this pace, Aaron Donald will go down as one of, if not the greatest interior defensive lineman EVER.

Yeah, I'd say the bar is a bit high.

Lots of guys have size, strength, speed, etc.  What sets the Aaron Donald's apart from the rest is the intense work ethic.  Guys who freak out at their coaches and sit their senior years do not have the work ethic it takes to become Aaron Donald. 

• Like (+1) 3

He's a great talent, no doubt. When he wants to be. He takes some plays off, but does seem to show up in big moments. While he is strong and has a very quick get off,  he needs a lot of work when it comes to shedding blockers/hand work. If he puts that together, he's a perfect 3 tech for us( dependant upon his attitude and consistency)

9 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Yeah, is he a firecracker or was that one foolish incident? He is the same size as Nkemdiche. Both were considered top overall picks at points in their college careers. 

I see the talent but this seems like a boom or bust selection. 

I don’t know if any similar transgressions, but he does have a reputation as a guy who doesn’t necessarily give his 110% on the field all the time.  That is worrisome to me.

38 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

star, harrison and jordan phillips. this definitely wouldn't be a need pick. 

Beane has said numerous times that we won't draft strictly for need, it will be BPA. 

Also with K.W. retiring, it is arguably a need.

I don’t have great confidence in our DL coach. And with Kyle gone, we lose that element of mentorship too. I’m not saying that’s a reason to pass on a talent ... but I would be less worried about bringing in a  vet where you already know who he is,  than a raw rookie on the DL. Not every rookie is considered raw though... some are more polished and were more well coached in college than others 

• Like (+1) 1