Jim Kelly wants to sit down with Josh Allen...

LabattBlue

13 minutes ago, Luka said:

The opposition to this seems really odd to me. Maybe some guys here don't remember watching Kelly. The "K-Gun" worked because Kelly was able to call plays. The only guy I've watched do it as well or better than Kelly is Peyton Manning. And you don't want a guy like that sitting down with our soon to be 2nd year QB?

People like to find reasons to whine and this is a pretty poor reason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

:) Classic. Al must've been a force to behold in HS. 

Guy in my section has a solid royal blue #33 jersey with “Bundy” on the back. Makes me chuckle every single time.

Right up there with the Bills #32 “Nordberg” jersey I see at the stadium on occasion. Fantastic.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Gonna tell him about that time he scored 4 touchdowns in the city championship game??

It was 10 degrees that day Josh......pull up a chair and I'll tell ya all about it. They had this kid who had to be about 250 and ran like a stallion. Name was Timmy I think. Anyways...we drew up some plays in the dirt and it was off to the races!

5 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

JK hate by some is comical.

I bet $$$ that if Joe Montana wanted to sit down with Josh Allen the same Haters would be rock hard.

Not everyone is good at coaching. I'm sure Jim Kelly could say a few things. No harm in that. But it might not be of any help. Might even run counter to what he's being taught now. (It's been 30 years since Jim played. The league changed a lot.) Don't assume everyone from the Super Bowl teams has something profound to share.

• Like (+1) 1

Has Jimbo ever offered to do this before, or said "I think he's the real deal" about any of our revolving door of QB's?

Maybe he has...and I have forgotten, it happens.

Even if it is nothing more than Jim wanting to finally pass the proverbial torch to someone he thinks can actually carry it, would it really hurt to give them the film room for a bit for a session of when you see this, you can go here with it quickly, or this is a good thing to key on, etc.. The fact that Jim is seeing a gap in his game and keeping it private is a pretty sound approach IMO - why give opposing DC's any help.

No matter how many "old guys" are lining up to give advice, for Allen he just needs to have a sponge mindset and soak up as much as he can at this stage....especially if it is a Hall of Famer who is offering the advice.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2019 at 8:10 PM, krf139 said:

I have all the respect in the world for Jim, but he needs to let it go.  There are coaches telling Allen what to do.  Kelly is not on the coaching staff and should keep his mouth shut.  This is not the Jim Kelly show.  I appreciate the enthusiasm coming from him and it's probably a good idea they meet and chat about Buffalo, handling the media, etc., but Jim needs to know his place.  It seems like his arrogance gets in the way of him knowing where to draw the line.

I agree. 

We need to stop pretending it’s 1991 still. 

The old legends constantly hover around waiting for their yearly nostalgia halftime dedication. 

18 hours ago, WideNine said:

Has Jimbo ever offered to do this before, or said "I think he's the real deal" about any of our revolving door of QB's?

Maybe he has...and I have forgotten, it happens.

Even if it is nothing more than Jim wanting to finally pass the proverbial torch to someone he thinks can actually carry it, would it really hurt to give them the film room for a bit for a session of when you see this, you can go here with it quickly, or this is a good thing to key on, etc.. The fact that Jim is seeing a gap in his game and keeping it private is a pretty sound approach IMO - why give opposing DC's any help.

No matter how many "old guys" are lining up to give advice, for Allen he just needs to have a sponge mindset and soak up as much as he can at this stage....especially if it is a Hall of Famer who is offering the advice.

Not to rain on any parades, but Jimbo has talked up pretty much every QB we've drafted excluding EJ. Don't think he had great things to say IIRC. I actually had a chance to talk to him for quite a while back in 1998 when we first acquired Rob Johnson. Was working at a shoestore called Just For Feet and he happened to be our celebrity guest at the grand opening. This was in Delaware so quite a gift and very few people were all up in his mug! He had nothing but overflowing praise for Rob. Not taking anything away from Allen, but Jimbo has always been a glass half full guy regarding our QB's. This language may be a bit more effusive though.

Edited by LSHMEAB

6 minutes ago, PaulieYayo said:

Why would there even be an issue with this? JK is  HOF QB who wants to give him some advice, from one Bills QB to another. How is this worse than him learning from Anderson or Barkley? I say the more knowledge and coaching this kid gets, the better off he'll be. 

Yes this is plain and simple logic....we shouldnt have multiple pages debating this........anyone who really thinks simple  advice from JK or anyother HOF QB is a negative thing knows nothing about this game IMO.......

• Like (+1) 2

Serious question.  Does JK work for the bills or is the title of ambassador just an honorary title?  I only ask because I don't know how the CBA views ambassadors that work for the team vs a coach of the team.  This is all hypothetical based on if he had the sit down with him when coaches weren't allowed to talk to players.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Not to rain on any parades, but Jimbo has talked up pretty much every QB we've drafted excluding EJ. Don't think he had great things to say IIRC. I actually had a chance to talk to him for quite a while back in 1998 when we first acquired Rob Johnson. Was working at a shoestore called Just For Feet and he happened to be our celebrity guest at the grand opening. This was in Delaware so quite a gift and very few people were all up in his mug! He had nothing but overflowing praise for Rob. Not taking anything away from Allen, but Jimbo has always been a glass half full guy regarding our QB's. This language may be a bit more effusive though.

Fair enough, and I felt like I had heard that he has tried to help our other QB's before, so no rain on my parade. 

Thanks for the insight, still probably wouldn't hurt the kid to hear him out.

• Like (+1) 1

What would it really hurt for him to have a sit down with a HOF for a few hours.. I mean do you guys really think Josh Allen is so mentally week that he would ruin him? Any QB should say YES if a HOF wants to work with you... You know what Jim Kelly did really well in your career for those of you to young to remember? READ DEFENSES! If I were a Starting QB for the bills I would want to pick his brain for all its worth.. take the good.. leave the bad.. move forward.

What I am impressed about with Josh Allen is how resilient he is.

Had to start faster than planned

Had poor weapons and line

Took a pretty bad injury in first year

Came back from injury and improved as the year went on

Improved as he saw how Barkley and DA prepped for games and studied film

Is working with Palmer to improve in the offseason

Started making Zay Jones, Robert Foster and Croom better

Made Oline look better by the end of the year

He has real moxy. I don't think a conversation with Jimbo would hurt.

JA could be the real deal. I think Jim Kelly sees it. There may be some vicarious living going on. Why not?

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/27/2019 at 8:30 PM, ProcessAccepted said:

It never hurts to listen, and if Josh can't handle advice from people he's not the guy that I think he is.

You listen, say thank you and then decide if the advice is something you are going to take on board.

Who do you think you are not knowing who you think he is?