Jim Kelly wants to sit down with Josh Allen...

LabattBlue

From anything i've read Cully JA's QB coach was a WR coach before coming here & that there has been thought of putting him back in that spot as a coach so who better to listen to a guy with 10+ yrs on the field playing the position or a guy that has coached a different position & is in a relatively (new to him) coach at a different position ?

I'm thinking Josh is also smart enough to take what he here's from who ever & uses it as he sees to fit into his game. The experience that Jim has could be very helpful ...

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah whatever Kelly has to say might be really important and though he has been cordial with the other QBs we've had, he definitely sees something special in JA.

Jim Kelly is a Bills legend and has earned the right to say what he wants. He hasn't ever interfered with the Bills in a negative way in terms of player development. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

thats a little harsh there Gug.

That being said .....  What has Jimbo done for any of the past QB's?     (I'm sure that this is an annual conversation) 

Certainly nothing negative, because we've never heard that in all of these years since he hung it up. I also believe that he sees something special in Allen, so he may be more invested in doing whatever he can from a positive approach. Note: Early in mini-camps don't forget Josh raving about the time that he was able to spend with Jimbo, the substance of which he also chose to keep private, but you got the distinct impression that Josh is a fan of whatever interaction Jim has with him (or at least at that time). I think the dynamics here are much ado about nothing, frankly. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've been saying (and getting flamed for it) for years how sick I am of Kelly, Reed and Thomas being around the team.  They had their chance to be champions and they blew it in historical fashion.  Let the current players/coaches do their things and go find a hobby.

Unless the HC approaches Kelly and asks him to speak to Josh Allen, then Kelly should mind his own business and stay out of Allen's ear.

I'm sure he means well, but he needs to go dance on his own pole and let the CURRENT Bills do their jobs.

Gugs, you lost me there. Would you rather we never have any historical roots/standards that this franchise should aspire to living up to and surpassing? If you forget where you came from and muddle through with no appreciation for the shoulders that bore this franchise's burdens for so long, then what's the point of keeping score in the first place?

Apart from some arguably questionable tweeting by Reed within the past couple weeks, I've never heard that our alumni have interfered with, made worse, or in any other fashion have been a negative influence on the team, FO, coaching, etc. in all these years.

As a player, I think I'd appreciate having the support and occasional input from someone who knows what it's like to lace up the cleats, been there, done that--but maybe I'm the crazy one for thinking that?  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JimmyNoodles said:

I don't think you understood my post. I doesn't mean anything to me one way or the other if Kelly wants to talk to him. Maybe it would be helpful and maybe not. My point is why is this news? Just talk to him. Is it necessary that the public knows about it? 

Couldn't you say the same thing about 80% of what passes for breaking "news" on these boards? And in fairness to JK, he was being interviewed, it's not like he was drafting a press release for distribution, right?

The underlying problem is we the fan consumers who in our thirst to know everything to the nth detail, down to what color the elastic straps holding the training camp gatorade jugs in place are, have driven certain media to put out whatever possible to slake said thirst. I believe this has been one of @Augie's gripes for sometime? Why do we have to know everything? 

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah, well, all things being equal I'd rather this team have a chance to exist on its own merits.

Of that there is little doubt--it will be tarred and feathered suitably if there is ongoing failure this year, or lauded as the greatest ever if it succeeds (at least a WC win, please!). I love the old Bills, and I love me some new Bills as well--I wish nothing more than for JA to break all of JK's franchise marks!  

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I heard he was the only QB in NFL history to best John Elway, Dan Marino and Joe Montana in three straight conference championships.

None of whom ever made it through JK in the playoffs. Danny the most at 0-3. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Couldn't you say the same thing about 80% of what passes for breaking "news" on these boards? And in fairness to JK, he was being interviewed, it's not like he was drafting a press release for distribution, right?

The underlying problem is we the fan consumers who in our thirst to know everything to the nth detail, down to what color the elastic straps holding the training camp gatorade jugs in place are, have driven certain media to put out whatever possible to slake said thirst. I believe this has been one of @Augie's gripes for sometime? Why do we have to know everything? 

Of that there is little doubt--it will be tarred and feathered suitably if there is ongoing failure this year, or lauded as the greatest ever if it succeeds (at least a WC win, please!). I love the old Bills, and I love me some new Bills as well--I wish nothing more than for JA to break all of JK's franchise marks!  

None of whom ever made it through JK in the playoffs. Danny the most at 0-3. 

Fair point, but he was asked a generic open ended question.  Why not just give a simple answer like "I think he's the real deal," and leave it at that.  Why do you have to insert yourself into the current narrative.  You know that there will be follow up questions because he said that.  I would like the current Bills to own their story without the former Bills publicly getting involved.  Do it privately.  I would much prefer that one day when they ask JA, "Who helped you along the way?" that HE names a bunch of folks and adds "and I'd like to thank Jim Kelly." 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

Fair point, but he was asked a generic open ended question.  Why not just give a simple answer like "I think he's the real deal," and leave it at that.  Why do you have to insert yourself into the current narrative.  You know that there will be follow up questions because he said that.  I would like the current Bills to own their story without the former Bills publicly getting involved.  Do it privately.  I would much prefer that one day when they ask JA, "Who helped you along the way?" that HE names a bunch of folks and adds "and I'd like to thank Jim Kelly." 

Also fair, although I don't think his motivations here were negative. But nonetheless, I do get what you're saying.  

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

18 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I have a lot of respect for Kelly and his cancer battle, but I really don't need him telling Josh Allen all of the things in Kelly's mind, that he is doing wrong.  I might feel different if Allen sought him out for advice, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  The guy can't seem to let go.

Allen will end up being a head case.  He has coaches telling him what to do, Palmer telling him what to do & now Kelly wants to tell him what he needs to do.

BN: What do you think of Josh Allen?

JK: I think he’s the real deal. He needs the quarterback coach, the offensive coordinator to get in his mind. I have already talked to him and told him we need to sit down this offseason. ... I need to tell him some things that I saw that he was not doing that he needs to make sure are instilled in his mind, that I don't know if he's been told.

I never want to tramp on anybody's feet right, but we'll sit down, I'll go over some things with him. (Kelly said he intends to give the specifics to Allen rather than making them public.)

I'm excited about him because his personality is what you need in Buffalo. He's a hardworking SOB. It’s everything I love to see, but he can't do it alone.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/25/buffalo-bills-jim-kelly-josh-allen-pro-bowl-kyle-williams-one-on-one-coverage-vic-carucci-nfl-football/

It doesn’t sound like he wants to coach him, just sit down and talk about the QB position.  I don’t see the harm.

I will say though, it does kind of throw shade at the Bills offensive coaching.  It can be read as though they aren’t as qualified to coach him.  I know what Jim is saying, but I could understand if it was interpreted the other way 

16 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Interesting take.  I happen to think these are the things Allen DOESN'T need advice about.

Allen did a great job being the rookie quarterback. As Allen grows in the organization so will his responsibilities in all areas, that transition is where someone who has been there before can help. 

I have a lot of respect for Kelly and his cancer battle, but I really don't need him telling Josh Allen all of the things in Kelly's mind, that he is doing wrong.  I might feel different if Allen sought him out for advice, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  The guy can't seem to let go.

Allen will end up being a head case.  He has coaches telling him what to do, Palmer telling him what to do & now Kelly wants to tell him what he needs to do.

JK: I think he’s the real deal. He needs the quarterback coach, the offensive coordinator to get in his mind. I have already talked to him and told him we need to sit down this offseason. ... I need to tell him some things that I saw that he was not doing that he needs to make sure are instilled in his mind, that I don't know if he's been told.

I never want to tramp on anybody's feet right, but we'll sit down, I'll go over some things with him. (Kelly said he intends to give the specifics to Allen rather than making them public.)

I'm excited about him because his personality is what you need in Buffalo. He's a hardworking SOB. It’s everything I love to see, but he can't do it alone.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/25/buffalo-bills-jim-kelly-josh-allen-pro-bowl-kyle-williams-one-on-one-coverage-vic-carucci-nfl-football/

So... is Jimbo going to tell him to get a HoF center, two HoF receivers, a HoF running back, and a HoF head coach?

If he can’t handle a session with Kelly on how to be a better QB, then he’s not the guy we hope he is. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've been saying (and getting flamed for it) for years how sick I am of Kelly, Reed and Thomas being around the team.  They had their chance to be champions and they blew it in historical fashion.  Let the current players/coaches do their things and go find a hobby.

Unless the HC approaches Kelly and asks him to speak to Josh Allen, then Kelly should mind his own business and stay out of Allen's ear.

I'm sure he means well, but he needs to go dance on his own pole and let the CURRENT Bills do their jobs.

No.  Those guys know what it takes to win and at this point I think are humble enough to talk privately why they blew it.  No one's gone to 4 in a row ever.  

Except for the big one, those guys knew how to win.  There is a lot of value in being able to communicate that to the new generation.  It contributes to the culture.

If McDermott, Beane, or Pegula did not want the retired guys around the team, they wouldn't be.

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Gonna tell him about that time he scored 4 touchdowns in the city championship game??

:) Classic. Al must've been a force to behold in HS. But nah, JK will probably talk about that time where he tossed 6 against the vaunted Stillers in '91...which Allen managed to almost match against Miami as a total between his arm and legs. Good sign of things to come! 

The opposition to this seems really odd to me. Maybe some guys here don't remember watching Kelly. The "K-Gun" worked because Kelly was able to call plays. The only guy I've watched do it as well or better than Kelly is Peyton Manning. And you don't want a guy like that sitting down with our soon to be 2nd year QB?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Luka said:

The opposition to this seems really odd to me. Maybe some guys here don't remember watching Kelly. The "K-Gun" worked because Kelly was able to call plays. The only guy I've watched do it as well or better than Kelly is Peyton Manning. And you don't want a guy like that sitting down with our soon to be 2nd year QB?

The last Super Bowl was a quarter of century ago...more than a whole generation.

No offense to anyone, but if you weren't there...man...you just don't know what it was like.

Luka, explain to someone young that Third and 6 in the K-Gun Offense was a lot of times a running down, and it was Kelly making the call, and their heads might spin.

...honestly, you had to be there to see the way it worked.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

The last Super Bowl was a quarter of century ago...more than a whole generation.

No offense to anyone, but if you weren't there...man...you just don't know.

Kelly was ahead of his time. They were running spread, shotgun offense when the league was still all about running the football. And he did it at a time when you could mug the receiver. Think of how successful he'd have been with this eras rules.

• Like (+1) 1