Stability - Only 2X since 2000 have the Bills finished then started the next season with the same GM, Coach, OC, DC and QB

BuffaloBill

This has really been one of our biggest problems.

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I'm sorry, but the sane and rational people will never get over Peterman starting in San Diego two years ago.

No issue with it.  How did Tyrod play the week before.  He certainly played better after that for a bit.  Now if we had a healthy Josh Allen later in the season and they started Peterman I would take issue.  As soon as they knew they had 2 better options behind Allen.  Peterman was gone.  Dude was a preseason MVP just couldnt handle the pressure of the regular season.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Senator said:

Not questioning your verisimilitude, but minor point - didn’t we start last season with Nate Peterman as our QB?

Hate to nitpick - other than that slight discrepancy, albeit very subtle, I agree with your point 100%.

Killjoy. :angry:

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Winning programs have far more stability in these key roles.  This is especially true with the GM, HC and QB.  It has been a long time since Buffalo started a season with such promise.

It's obviously only a good thing if it leads to winning. I definitely remember the continuity "logic" coming out of OBD when Jauron got year #4. 

It's great if they end up being the right guys, but I think this year #3 is really going to tell the story on the GM and HC whether it's good or bad. I haven't made a big deal about the combined record for these 2 years because I did agree that a rebuild had to happen. But this is where we need to see the big leap. 

None of the coaches they have had are worth anything and went on to make any noise at all as a head coach after the bills.  Maybe mularky and marrone who both quit (which is unique).

QBs?  Same thing.  Other than them pulling fitzpatrick from under their own feet too quickly... nothing.  They werent even particularly proactive about finding a QB.  

And when you have clown shoes for head coaches and quarterbacks, you are going to churn OCs as well.

It isnt a "continuity" problem.  It was a systemic organization management, decision making, and structure problem that has been hopefully fixed

11 hours ago, ganesh said:

It is a chicken and egg thing..If you are winning, then all of them are retained (unless they get HC gigs).  If you are losing you are constantly tinkering to improve your team!

I am sure the Patriots have the same situation except for different reasons because their coordinators are constantly in demand to become HCs.

Dont know why.  For the most part NE assistamce seem to fail as HCs.

45 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

None of the coaches they have had are worth anything and went on to make any noise at all as a head coach after the bills.  Maybe mularky and marrone who both quit (which is unique).

QBs?  Same thing.  Other than them pulling fitzpatrick from under their own feet too quickly... nothing.  They werent even particularly proactive about finding a QB.  

And when you have clown shoes for head coaches and quarterbacks, you are going to churn OCs as well.

It isnt a "continuity" problem.  It was a systemic organization management, decision making, and structure problem that has been hopefully fixed

Anthony Lynn did pretty good last year.  He was a coordinator but still. 

Gregg just has too many opportunities to pick from and cant make up his mind.?

Edited by formerlyofCtown

9 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Agree!!!

Am I the only one who’s noticing how this whole board has become MUCH less contentious since we all have had a chance to watch a coach make the playoffs and watched a QB who seems to have the IT factor.

Things seem like they are on the right track or at least moving in the right direction. Continuity is important but it is also nice to see some of the necessary staff changes that have been made.

This board has only become "MUCH less contentious" because the intolerance of the McDermott/Beane cheerleaders has successfully discouraged those who don't worship at the alter of McDermott/Beane from posting much if at all.  Every dictatorship ever has congratulated itself on supposedly "making everybody happy" simply because it's suppressed dissent.

Except for Allen's play this season, there is NOTHING encouraging about the management or coaching of this team to set it apart from all the other crappy Bills teams of the last 20 years.  In fact, the talent level on this team is as low as it has ever been in those twenty years, easily rivaling 2001 and 2010 ... except that this regime is in its third year not its first.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

This board has only become "MUCH less contentious" because the intolerance of the McDermott/Beane cheerleaders has successfully discouraged those who don't worship at the alter of McDermott/Beane from posting much if at all.  Every dictatorship ever has congratulated itself on supposedly "making everybody happy" simply because it's suppressed dissent.

Except for Allen's play this season, there is NOTHING encouraging about the management or coaching of this team to set it apart from all the other crappy Bills teams of the last 20 years.  In fact, the talent level on this team is as low as it has ever been in those twenty years, easily rivaling 2001 and 2010 ... except that this regime is in its third year not its first.

:lol: I don't know whether or not my response qualifies as an "effort to suppress" but it's wildly inaccurate (no Allen references, please) statements like this that lead to the eye-rolling.

Of course everything isn't perfect and there are some specific areas of improvement needed, but if you truly believe the statement in bold I have no idea what you've been watching for the past two seasons.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not saying Allen wont be good, but I wonder where everyone's seeing the 'it' factor from him so far. All I have seen so far is that the Bill's have a great RB with an arm to make some throws. Basically white Tyrod with a stronger arm.

As for the coaching continuity, I dont know how good it is. How many of the regularly good teams have this happen to them? HC/GM/QB continuity sure, but good teams always seem to lose coordinators yearly to other teams as Head Coaches. The Bill's coordinators weren't interviewed for HC positions. I dont think they were even considered outside of a few potential rumors that didnt pan out......

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think Daboll will get a few years to get the offense humming.  I don't see Beane and McDermott wanting to start over with a new offensive scheme if at all possible.  I'm sure they realize that giving Allen a few seasons to learn and run the same offense will be the best thing for his development.  Ultimately, they know that all of their futures ride on Allen becoming a solid NFL quarterback. 

Well it might not be their choice if Daboll continues his recent career trend of being a nomad.

Continuity was a big buzz word at OBD in Ralph Wilson’s waning days and through Doug Whaley. 

Let’s see if it matters in 2019. 

Let’s see some results Terry, Brandon and Sean. 

53 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That's "sane and rational" behavior?

Tuhrod was HORRIBLE prior to that. It was a swing and a miss, it happens.

Not when Coach doubles down and starts Nate Peterman again to disasterous results yet again.  

13 hours ago, The Senator said:

Not questioning your verisimilitude, but minor point - didn’t we start last season with Nate Peterman as our QB?

Hate to nitpick - other than that slight discrepancy, albeit very subtle, I agree with your point 100%.

I guess even starting the season with the same group we ended the previous season with is a step in the right direction.  I look forward to the day we have the same Offensive line from one season to the next.  (not this group though)

I was talking to my wife about how this is going to be a relatively non-eventful offseason compared to the last decade:

2010: New coach with Chan and Buddy as GM plus most people knew the team needed a demo

2011: New uniforms switching back to the royal blue, draft Dareus, and there was talk maybe Bills draft a QB

2012: Bills sign Mario Williams which was massive and bring Dave W in for the D. Vince Young was signed which at the time people went wild for which I never understood

2013: Chan gone Whaley & Marrone in plus EJ drafted

2014: March Toronto series "postponed" and Ralph Wilson passes away, April Bills trade up for Sammy in the draft, June Kiko tore his ACL, Training Camp EJ was doing EJ things that was probably the most memorable offseason to date

2015: Marrone leaves, Rex is in, McCoy is in for Kiko, Pegula's now officially own the team, and Toronto is officially dead thank god. Oh and EJ his the hospitality tent in training camp a personal favorite

2016: All types of internal conflict regularly reported about Whaley's chance long term same with Rex, Shaq Lawson pick looks awful optically once revealed he did need surgery, and the Bills have to shed a lot of veteran weight due to cap while Rex proclaims they won the offseason. Add in the Tyrod extension has people talking if it was worth it or not.

2017: New coach, new GM, and good amount of roster turnover plus conversation of whether to dump Taylor or not.

2018: Tyrod is gone, draft picks traded like crazy, and Allen drafted. Hype of post-season has half the fanbase thinking the team is a QB away and the other half saying get ready for tough sleding.

By my count 4 new coaches, 3 new GMs, 2 new drafted QBs, 1 ownership change, 1 big uniform overhaul, the ending of Toronto, and one massive FA signing. Considering there is zero potential for any of those this off season I would say yea things are pretty good and quiet.

49 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm ok with people dinging him on the second peterman start, but NOT the first.

The first time you can understand, the offence was stagnant and needed a boost. A QB swap might be just the kick to get it going. Unfortunately you would have hoped that it would have been a swap to a better QB. Move backfired, should have been the end. Instead they kept going back to him only to get the same results.....

It's a reach trying to blame the coaching staff much for starting Nate in SD. (Only blame would be for starting a rookie QB while still being in the playoff picture, and not seeing any signs that Nate was garbage in practice which would be very weak arguements without using hindsight...)