Alex Smith Likely to miss all of 2019

billsfan_34

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The last 2 times the Bills traded down in the 1st round they traded away Patrick Mahomes in 2017 & in 2013 used the lower 1st round pick to select EJ Manuel, but some people still are always looking to trade down.  When you trade down you are buying a pig in a poke, not knowing what you're getting.  I'd rather trade up for someone I believe in than trade down for who knows what.  Give me quality over quantity every time.  

As well as Mahomes played this year, I still happen to prefer Josh Allen over him.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Looks like redskins need a quarterback... pick #9 should have a guy... either Lock or Jones should be there. I really only see Haskins going top-7. 

Haskins didn't look like a top-7 guy in the Senior Bowl.  Redskins are likely more interested in Kyler Murray.  Making headlines is Snyder's thing.  They may have to trade up with Bills to get him, if he's available at 9.

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

Yeah, we could have had Mahomes, and Gronk, and a lot of other guys instead of the guys we got.  That's how it works.

Bingo, nice name btw.

Bills fans look at players that Buffalo "missed" in the draft, and imagine a world where Gronk is a Bill and the Bills are winning.

Patriots fans look at players that Buffalo drafted, and imagine a world where talent didn't go to die in a poorly managed organization, and then thank the lucky stars that guys like Hogan, Gilmore are there to contribute to a third consecutive Super Bowl appearance.

It may be Washington's only option as sounds like they don't have any $$ available to sign even a halfway decent FA.  Even if Smith comes back the year after and does well he'd be what 38 by the 2020 season.  Or they do sign a half way decent guy, the team may win 1/2 dozen games, enough to not have a high draft pick next year either.  So pick up a a QB now, at leas then you have a reason to right the season off.  Barring a miracle likely Gruden will be firedafter this sxeason anyway, so if I'm thr GM, I'd be more in favor of building for the future.

Sad new for Alex Smith. Hope he makes a recovery and gets back to playing soon. But without a doubt the Redskins will be a trade partner for the Bills. I would do it in a heartbeat if we can get an additional 2nd out of it. 

I think the Redskins might lean more towards a deal with the Eagles for Foles. They would have to shed some Cap to do that though and I think they are pretty tight on funds....would be the more sane option than throwing the dice at this class.

The reason we traded down and didn't take Mahomes is that Whaley and his scouts didn't do a good job assessing his ability. Everyone seems to want to blame McDermott. McD isn't a scout. It's not his job to assess talent. Had they given a more accurate assessment of Mahomes' potential, he'd be our QB today.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Alex Smith signed a contract before the 2018 season for $94M with $71M guaranteed.  They will be in salary cap hell for the next three years, and they can't afford to compete for a decent FA QB.  They MUST draft a rookie and hope he can play, while they pay him the peanuts guys get early in their career.  They just won't have the cash to do anything else.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Haskins didn't look like a top-7 guy in the Senior Bowl.  Redskins are likely more interested in Kyler Murray.  Making headlines is Snyder's thing.  They may have to trade up with Bills to get him, if he's available at 9.

That’s probably because Haskins wasn’t in the Senior Bowl. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GreggTX said:

The reason we traded down and didn't take Mahomes is that Whaley and his scouts didn't do a good job assessing his ability. Everyone seems to want to blame McDermott. McD isn't a scout. It's not his job to assess talent. Had they given a more accurate assessment of Mahomes' potential, he'd be our QB today.

So when our scouts write up their reports- McD doesnt look at them or watch all the tape of the guy? I would say there is a very strong possibility he did. It is always the HC’s job to assess talent- thats kinda how we get the final roster and changes throughout the season. 

18 hours ago, The Senator said:

I feel badly for Smith, but not surprised after seeing the hit that likely ended his career.

Maybe we can unload Derek Anderson on the Redskins?

I tend to think Derek stays at 3 with the clipboard serving as an additional coach- with a true coaching gig with the Bills down the road. 

48 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't know about poking any pigs, but if we do we better get a hella of a lot more from Washington than we did from KC.

Skins will be desperate