Alex Smith Likely to miss all of 2019

billsfan_34

31 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

EVERY draft choice is a pig in a poke. You NEVER know what you're getting. (Mike Williams). That's why 2 draft choices are better than one, and why trading down is almost always the right choice. Possible exception is trading up for a qb because in today's nfl, a good qb can be worth 3 or 4 good players at other positions. And a good qb on a rookie contract is worth so much more financially than than a good player on a rookie contract at any other position. 

I generally prefer trading back and adding choices, but of course each situation is unique. Having said that, nobody trades back blindly. They know how many spots they’re going, how many players are in that range, which one’s they are interested in, who’s most likely to still be available, etc. If all that looks good, you make the move. And then each and every pick is a gamble! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The last 2 times the Bills traded down in the 1st round they traded away Patrick Mahomes in 2017 & in 2013 used the lower 1st round pick to select EJ Manuel, but some people still are always looking to trade down.  When you trade down you are buying a pig in a poke, not knowing what you're getting.  I'd rather trade up for someone I believe in than trade down for who knows what.  Give me quality over quantity every time.  

Ok, please tell me who you would trade up with in this years draft, who are u looking to add and what will you give up.

Please be specific instead of a random comment that has no relevance to next years team.

FYI, Tre White, Dion Dawkins and part of what was required to get our QB of the future seems to be looking good right now.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Can you trade coaches?

It has been done before.

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/Article/The-Gruden-Trade-105115968/

"During the 2001-02 offseason, the Oakland Raiders allowed head coach Jon Gruden to sign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for 1st and 2nd round draft picks in 2002, a 1st round pick in 2003 and a 2nd round pick in 2004, plus cash. The trade continues to have an effective on the Raiders in 2011-12, albeit under the law of diminishing returns."

23 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

You want Jay Gruden?? You're kidding, right? He's even worse than his brother.

Who's his brother?

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

It has been done before.

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/Article/The-Gruden-Trade-105115968/

"During the 2001-02 offseason, the Oakland Raiders allowed head coach Jon Gruden to sign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for 1st and 2nd round draft picks in 2002, a 1st round pick in 2003 and a 2nd round pick in 2004, plus cash. The trade continues to have an effective on the Raiders in 2011-12, albeit under the law of diminishing returns."

Guess the joke flew over your head, haha. 

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The last 2 times the Bills traded down in the 1st round they traded away Patrick Mahomes in 2017 & in 2013 used the lower 1st round pick to select EJ Manuel, but some people still are always looking to trade down.  When you trade down you are buying a pig in a poke, not knowing what you're getting.  I'd rather trade up for someone I believe in than trade down for who knows what.  Give me quality over quantity every time.  

Yup just leave out the part about them getting Tre White and trading up for Allen.  I really think the ideal not picking a QB was to let the incoming GM pick his guy.  We didnt take him, and we were never going to, even if we stayed put.  Get over it.

Oh no why didnt we take Tom Brady in the 1st round.  Guess what, there bears didnt take Mahomes either.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if memory serves me, there were plenty of posting pundits who said "no way" to selecting Mahones because he was from the "leper like" Air Raid.....I believe the quotes were, "NO Air Raid QB EVER makes it in the NFL".....and those same one are probably on the "Mahomes Bandwagon" right now about the blown pick.....Mahomes has happened to defy the Air Raid knock so far with a great 2nd year (hopefully many ore as he is fun to watch)......doesn't hurt (COUGH) to have Andy as his HC either...I certainly agree on your "trade down" assessment....I think that is what McBeane will do in his quest for another 2nd....

Correct- many saw it that way. I remember my son wanting Mahomes and I did too- but I wasnt 100 percent on him either.

Grabbing another 2nd can be huge of played right- OL or WR come to mind, even a TE.

....just a wild hunch, but I think McBeane leans that way.......probably has his list for probable 1st rounders marked "1" and "1-A"..........if he trades down into the mid teens and any of his "1's" or "1-A's" are available, he pulls the trigger for BPA within his grouping...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

JP Losman, Sammy Watkins and TJ Graham couldn't agree more.

• Haha (+1) 4

Smith still has a lot of guaranteed money to come through the end of the 2020 season which I assume he will still receive even if injured?

Doubt we see him back on the field again at his age..

Redskins will really need to draft a QB and you would think a trade up with limited draft assets is a real possibility...although perhaps a full blown tank for No 1 pick in 2020 could be a better option on reflection..

I can see them on Struggle Street the next couple of seasons..

Edited by Aussie Joe

Like I mentioned in one of the other threads, the Redskins' fanbase has completely turned on the franchise and they have roughly zero hope right now. I expect Snyder and Co. to make a huge splash to try to galvanize some sort of excitement; they want to build a new stadium but the past year or two, their fans have just stopped going to games. Rumor is that Daniel Jones is the guy they want, but I think they'll go for Haskins or Kyler Murray. Haskins is a potential franchise QB who happens to be a local kid; it makes too much sense for them to try to bring him in IMO given the state of the franchise. Kyler would be the alternative IMO simply because of how much excitement and intrigue he will bring to any team that takes him. I wouldn't be surprised if they have their sights set on trading up higher than #9 though.

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The last 2 times the Bills traded down in the 1st round they traded away Patrick Mahomes in 2017

Well that's the dumbest thing I've read today, which means it's time to head over to PPP and see if anyone needs me to hold their beer and watch...

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...GREAT call and comparison bud.....I remember watching that game and seeing the Joe T injury (wish I didn't)...........did not see Alex injury (glad I didn't)......hopefully there is a miraculous Bridgewater like recovery in the cards for the kid..........

As do I friend.  I actually said an Our Father when I read this story.  I didn’t think it was this bad, but for his family’s sake, I just hope he lives a good life inside or outside of Football.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Yeah...we should have stayed pat like the Jags did with Bortles, Raiders did with Jamarcus, the Redskins with RGKnee, the Browns with QB 1-7, and the Cardinals with Rosen. 

Edited by BringBackFergy
  • Haha (+1) 2