Alex Smith Likely to miss all of 2019

billsfan_34

23 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001013656/article/redskins-believe-alex-smith-leg-will-miss-all-of-2019

- Awful news for him and the Skins. Maybe good news for us if they want to slide into 9 and we trade out. I know some of this has been discussed- merge if necessary- thanks.

A very sad situation for him.  Hopefully, the injury does not have negative consequences beyond football.  

• Like (+1) 6

The last 2 times the Bills traded down in the 1st round they traded away Patrick Mahomes in 2017 & in 2013 used the lower 1st round pick to select EJ Manuel, but some people still are always looking to trade down.  When you trade down you are buying a pig in a poke, not knowing what you're getting.  I'd rather trade up for someone I believe in than trade down for who knows what.  Give me quality over quantity every time.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

A very sad situation for him.  Hopefully, the injury does not have negative consequences beyond football.  

...forget football for now...health and saving his leg are FAR more important...Godspeed Alex..............

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The last 2 times the Bills traded down in the 1st round they traded away Patrick Mahomes in 2017 & in 2013 used the lower 1st round pick to select EJ Manuel, but some people still are always looking to trade down.  When you trade down you are buying a pig in a poke, not knowing what you're getting.  I'd rather trade up for someone I believe in than trade down for who knows what.  Give me quality over quantity every time.  

Patrick Mahomes was definitely an unwise decision. If the draft board starts to fall the way you like it then it isn’t necessarily a bad thing to trade down a few spots. There is excellent value going from 9 to 15 and getting a high 2nd rounder. The key is to hit on those picks Look where the Bills got Tre White in the draft- he is arguably a top ten draft pick that many missed on that year. 

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...forget football for now...health and saving his leg are FAR more important...Godspeed Alex..............

Totally agree- im just sayin this may set the stage later on. I wish the guy well for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

Amen Old Time.  This was by Joe Theisman the same type of injury by LT 35 years ago.  He’s a tough and disciplined person so he won’t be a slouch in a dedicated rehab.  I always thought he was knocked too much for being a game manager as he threw so few picks and had the respect of his teammates.

First as stated, I truly hope he can make it back, but at the very least doesn’t have long term disability.  Theisman admitted that injury has caused him to have chronic pain in his leg.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

EVERY draft choice is a pig in a poke. You NEVER know what you're getting. (Mike Williams). That's why 2 draft choices are better than one, and why trading down is almost always the right choice. Possible exception is trading up for a qb because in today's nfl, a good qb can be worth 3 or 4 good players at other positions. And a good qb on a rookie contract is worth so much more financially than than a good player on a rookie contract at any other position. 

Edited by lookylookyherecomescookie
clarity
  • Like (+1) 8

8 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Patrick Mahomes was definitely an unwise decision. If the draft board starts to fall the way you like it then it isn’t necessarily a bad thing to trade down a few spots. There is excellent value going from 9 to 15 and getting a high 2nd rounder. The key is to hit on those picks Look where the Bills got Tre White in the draft- he is arguably a top ten draft pick that many missed on that year. 

...if memory serves me, there were plenty of posting pundits who said "no way" to selecting Mahones because he was from the "leper like" Air Raid.....I believe the quotes were, "NO Air Raid QB EVER makes it in the NFL".....and those same one are probably on the "Mahomes Bandwagon" right now about the blown pick.....Mahomes has happened to defy the Air Raid knock so far with a great 2nd year (hopefully many ore as he is fun to watch)......doesn't hurt (COUGH) to have Andy as his HC either...I certainly agree on your "trade down" assessment....I think that is what McBeane will do in his quest for another 2nd....

31 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

What about all the times they HAVEN'T traded down and have bagged a pile of crap?

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah, we could have had Mahomes, and Gronk, and a lot of other guys instead of the guys we got.  That's how it works.

Mahomes is doing incredibly well after a year to watch and learn, and surrounded by all that talent and coached by Reid.  A perfect situation for a talented young player to excel in.  Mahomes in Buffalo would not have had any of that, and we'd be screaming about using a high #1 on a QB when we already had Tyrod Taylor to manage games for us.  I do not fault the Bills for that trade.  I think in the long run both teams will be winners as a result of the trade.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Yes but on the flip side, trading up got them Sammy. 

22 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

That paycheck isn't tho...

Nope.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Amen Old Time.  This was by Joe Theisman the same type of injury by LT 35 years ago.  He’s a tough and disciplined person so he won’t be a slouch in a dedicated rehab.  I always thought he was knocked too much for being a game manager as he threw so few picks and had the respect of his teammates.

First as stated, I truly hope he can make it back, but at the very least doesn’t have long term disability.  Theisman admitted that injury has caused him to have chronic pain in his leg.

...GREAT call and comparison bud.....I remember watching that game and seeing the Joe T injury (wish I didn't)...........did not see Alex injury (glad I didn't)......hopefully there is a miraculous Bridgewater like recovery in the cards for the kid..........

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

That pig in that poke may have turned out to be a top cornerback AND a quarterback who is just as good as Mahomes. We don't know yet, so to chalk it up as a loss is premature.

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...GREAT call and comparison bud.....I remember watching that game and seeing the Joe T injury (wish I didn't)...........did not see Alex injury (glad I didn't)......hopefully there is a miraculous Bridgewater like recovery in the cards for the kid..........

Ditto on the Joe T. -- I'm still haunted by it. That I even saw it is crazy b/c at the time i was a kid who watched very little football, but my aunt chose the 'Skins as her secondary team (she was loyal to Bills til the end) and probably that's why it was on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

His career is likely over. 

Yeah.  He's 34 now.  In 2020 as a 35 year old, he would have to convince the Redskins or some NFL team to take a chance signing him to the kind of money he might hope for.  Otherwise, he'll be stuck with a one year prove it deal and probably end up like Derek Anderson, backing up and mentoring some young stud QB somewhere.  Nobody's going to invest long term on a 35 year old whose success in the league has been mixed.